Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 37,478 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I recently purchased my first home in South Euclid . My significant other is finishing up her Elementary Education degree in a Pennsylvania school. She is concerned about Ohio's qualifications and how they differ from Pennsylvania's. Specifically:

1. She'll be applying for a 2 year provisional license, is this the right route?
2. Do all first time teachers go through the entry level teaching program and what exactly is that all about?
3. Is it hard to get a job and/or where should she look? (She wants to teach 2nd-4th grade)
4. When should she start applying since she's graduating out of state?

WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST HELP: If somebody who is currently a teacher would be kind enough to lend his or her contact information so that she could call or e-mail more specific questions. She is very worried about the whole process -- getting your first job is hard enough, having to worry about switching states in a field where certifications are key, makes it even more difficult.

Hopefully somebody can help!

Jason

Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
of all places, why Ohio for teaching? should have gone west. HUGE signing bonuses for teachers in Las Vegas

Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysunice View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased my first home in South Euclid . My significant other is finishing up her Elementary Education degree in a Pennsylvania school. She is concerned about Ohio's qualifications and how they differ from Pennsylvania's. Specifically:

1. She'll be applying for a 2 year provisional license, is this the right route?
2. Do all first time teachers go through the entry level teaching program and what exactly is that all about?
3. Is it hard to get a job and/or where should she look? (She wants to teach 2nd-4th grade)
4. When should she start applying since she's graduating out of state?

WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST HELP: If somebody who is currently a teacher would be kind enough to lend his or her contact information so that she could call or e-mail more specific questions. She is very worried about the whole process -- getting your first job is hard enough, having to worry about switching states in a field where certifications are key, makes it even more difficult.

Hopefully somebody can help!

Jason
Best bet would be to look on the Ohio Board of Education website. Ton of info there. Also, she can call & speak directly to someone there to answer these questions for her.

Is it hard to get a teaching job? Depends on all the obvious factors..where is she looking; what areas is she getting certified in, etc.

Some cities need teachers while others do not. Some cities are much hard to get jobs in due to the quality of the schools & teachers then stay.

Overall, she needs to either go on the B of Ed site or directly call.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 AM

i am positive there are jobs for the city of cleveland schools

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,454 times
Well, as a teacher that recently moved away from the Cleveland area, I would definitely say it is a tough market. I wasn't as concerned because I do have a special ed certification along with my elementary (although I didn't use it there, it was a nice back-up).

There was a lot of competition for jobs when I left about a year and a half ago, and districts like Cleveland were laying experienced teachers off and combining classrooms to reduce staff.

Of course, a lot can change in a few years, so maybe someone can give you more updated info.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
of all places, why Ohio for teaching? should have gone west. HUGE signing bonuses for teachers in Las Vegas
Sorry I would not go to Vegas if someone paid me. That is move there. The city shouldn't even be considered livable. I know some teachers from Las Vegas that have left because fo the rapidly growing population, and the crime that the schools face.

Ohio is actually a pretty good state for teaching, and the Cleveland suburbs have some of the top ranked school systems in the country. Bay Village and Avon Lake are worth a check.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 AM

lol, you obviously havent been there, north las vegas is the number 1 growing city in the country, everything is cheaper, prop taxes, utilities, etc.. i was merely making a comment on where the jobs are... and yes i have homes in BOTH places, cleveland and vegas, i can't wait to get out of this hellhole. the best schools, beachwood, mayfield etc are definitely superior to vegas public schools, but how hard is it to get a job in one of those districts.. i know people that have been substitute teaching just to get it.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 AM

and you don't think the Cleveland schools have crime?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 AM

20 posts, read 96,267 times
as a fellow teacher let me tell you that teaching jobs in Ohio are tough to find!! That said, it's all about the certification area. Being elementary certified in PA is not the same as Elementary certified in Ohio. First of all Ohio has a different breakdown for teacher licensing in education...Early Childhood--which is PreK-3, Middle--which is 4-9 with an endorsement in two subject areas, and Secondary--which is 7-12 with an endorsement of a specific subject area. Finding jobs in Early Childhood are almost impossible to locate in Ohio, let alone the Cleveland area, however, those with a Special Education endorsement are a bit better off than most--although that is a poor reason to go into this challenging discipline. There is no easy answer to your questions...just remain vigilant and positive in your search. The ODE website can offer some more answers.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
lol, you obviously havent been there, north las vegas is the number 1 growing city in the country, everything is cheaper, prop taxes, utilities, etc.. i was merely making a comment on where the jobs are... and yes i have homes in BOTH places, cleveland and vegas, i can't wait to get out of this hellhole. the best schools, beachwood, mayfield etc are definitely superior to vegas public schools, but how hard is it to get a job in one of those districts.. i know people that have been substitute teaching just to get it.
I have been to Las Vegas. It is IMO a terrible and depressing place to live. I never said Cleveland schools don't have problems, most major cities school districts do. Cleveland has one of the largest districts in the country.

Las Vegas is overrated. Growing like crazy, I mean digging away at the mountains to make more room for growth!! The water is leaving, go to the Hoover Dam, look at the nearby mountains by the river, notice the white, ya that is where the water once was. A 75 foot drop! Cleveland is on the raise, bringing in some great jobs. Give it 20 years, Nevada and the other SW states will need water from the Great Lakes, and we will just turn our backs on you. Las Vegas is the hellhole, sorry, but it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland