Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 AM

372 posts, read 593,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Mortey- Mexican food! I know! I have tried more than a few on visits and just can't find it. I told my wife, "Why don't we just open a taco stand?"

Maybe it's the geography because the ingredients do not seem the same. I ordered a burrito to go while in Sandusky and it was a cheese enchilada. I had to explain that this was not a burrito, but they argued. I even took a pic and showed it to the owner of my favorite place here and he was like, "What the heck is that?" lol

Some places are now fancy taco joints, but can't find a true Mexican place. Let me know if and when you find one.
La Plaza Supermarket in Lakewood has AMAZING food! I think it's on par with CA burrito places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

155 posts, read 234,019 times
Being so warm for Christmas is a sin!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've never been tempted by California. At all.
I spent five days in Los Angeles back in 2003 and I was tempted. But it wore off quickly.

What I didn't like is that although I was there in mid-October, there was no autumn foliage to look at.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Most rural southerners will see you as just another "damn yankee".

In larger cities on the east coast where there are more transplants, Ohio (and thus Cleveland) is typically grouped into "the midwest" which basically means that large swath of land from Ohio to...I don't know, the Dakotas? It's an ambiguous term that doesn't really mean anything. I've noticed this POV is really common among the working class in places like NY, which is ironic considering they probably have more in common with your typical Clevelander than anyone else.

People even remotely familiar with the rust belt just give me crap about the Browns and all the typical stereotypes about the city. Which is fine.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Most rural southerners will see you as just another "damn yankee".

In larger cities on the east coast where there are more transplants, Ohio (and thus Cleveland) is typically grouped into "the midwest" which basically means that large swath of land from Ohio to...I don't know, the Dakotas? It's an ambiguous term that doesn't really mean anything. I've noticed this POV is really common among the working class in places like NY, which is ironic considering they probably have more in common with your typical Clevelander than anyone else.

People even remotely familiar with the rust belt just give me crap about the Browns and all the typical stereotypes about the city. Which is fine.
What stereotypical stories have they told you?

Old 02-13-2016, 10:15 AM

78 posts, read 95,513 times
As citymama said, La Plaza is by far the closest I have found to "Southern Californian" mexican food. I would say their street tacos are 100% authentic while their burritos are maybe 80% as good as the best ones I've had in San Diego. it's too bad it's so far away from the East Side.

The lack of weather variety in San Diego is something I don't miss but the one thing I do miss is the reliability when you do see the weather. i can't trust weather forecasts here worth a damn so when we try and go camping on a clear weekend, and it rains suddenly, that surprises me. Rain happens like 6 times in San Diego so you know that when you go camping, you're fine. That being said, I think California and the Southwest are unique in that and is not common in the rest of the country.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What stereotypical stories have they told you?
Not stories, just funny/dated comments. Burning river, crappy sports, garbage weather. It depends on the person and much of a jerk they are. Sometimes I just get an awkward smile. FWIW I'm in the south and for the most part only ex-Northerner's make jokes like this. In my experience native southerners aren't typically as well traveled and don't really have the perspective to understand the difference between say, Cleveland and La Crosse, WI.

I think it would shock a lot of people on this forum just how insular a good part of this country is.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
I ran into an acquaintance on the street the day before I left Chicago, and I told him he probably wouldn't be seeing me anymore because I was moving back to Cleveland. His companion smiled and said, "Cleveland Rocks!"

Old 02-14-2016, 10:09 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
My boss, who's from Texas originally, now in San Diego thinks that Cleveland is very cosmopolitan compared to other midwestern cities he's been to. He's impressed by our dining, our economy, and our racial diversity. He hates our weather though (but is jealous of our falls), and he says he wishes our populace were more educated.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My boss, who's from Texas originally, now in San Diego thinks that Cleveland is very cosmopolitan compared to other midwestern cities he's been to. He's impressed by our dining, our economy, and our racial diversity. He hates our weather though (but is jealous of our falls), and he says he wishes our populace were more educated.
The city was considered to be ''cosmopolitan'' given its network of ethnic communities, especially in the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland