Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 PM

828 posts, read 1,238,738 times

Advertisements

As someone who's spent quite a bit of time in the Cleveland suburbs (albeit almost all on the East Side), just wondering what equivalents of areas on the East Side exist on the West Side?

For example, is Rocky River the West Side equivalent of University Heights (where many of my closest relatives have lived in Cleveland), Shaker Heights, and/or Cleveland Heights? And Fairview Park is the West Side parallel to South Euclid/Lyndhurst?

Obviously, Crocker Park is the West Side equivalent of Legacy Village?

Is Westlake a parallel of Solon? But Bay Village isn't necessarily a parallel of Beachwood? How about Avon Lake vis-a-vis Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, etc.?

For all these questions, I mean in terms of the physical layout, housing quality, relative wealth (or lack thereof), etc., as opposed to demographic and similar traits, as there are FAR fewer Jews (and also African Americans) on the West Side than on the East Side (and disparities between wealthy and poor neighbourhoods are less on the West Side).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 11:09 PM

4,464 posts, read 5,010,639 times
I'd say Rocky River is higher-end suburb than University Heights. It's probably more of a cross between Beachwood, Orange and the outer portions of Shaker Heights (East of Warrensville Center Rd).

I think Cleveland Heights and Lakewood are similar in age and density; Lakewood may, overall, maybe slightly older.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'd say Rocky River is higher-end suburb than University Heights. It's probably more of a cross between Beachwood, Orange and the outer portions of Shaker Heights (East of Warrensville Center Rd).

I think Cleveland Heights and Lakewood are similar in age and density; Lakewood may, overall, maybe slightly older.
Cleveland Heights lacks the residential high-rises that dominate the Lakewood eastern coast.

So Lakewood's density is 65 percent more than Cleveland Heights, about 9,700 vs. 5,700, both more than Cleveland, however.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,404,733 times
My general perception is that the west side has less Italians, Jews, and blacks. There are a number of east side suburbs with an ethnic identity that probably doesn't exist anywhere on the west side.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 AM

816 posts, read 1,384,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
My general perception is that the west side has less Italians, Jews, and blacks. There are a number of east side suburbs with an ethnic identity that probably doesn't exist anywhere on the west side.
Parma has a good Eastern European population.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
In my original question, I have to admit that I did forget about Lakewood being the rough equivalent of Cleveland Heights.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,404,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Parma has a good Eastern European population.
gentiles tho

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

So what I see so far are the following rough equivalences:

Lakewood ~= Cleveland Heights

Rocky River ~= parts of Shaker Heights, University Heights (both of those, esp. east of Warrensville Center Rd.), and Beachwood

Crocker Park ~= Legacy Village - new, high(er)-end lifestyle shopping areas

Fairview Park ~= South Euclid/Lyndhurst (?)

Westlake/North Olmsted ~= Solon and/or Mayfield Heights (?)

Bay Village/Avon/Avon Lake ~= Richmond Hgts., Highland Hgts., Willowick, Eastlake, Willoughby, Wickliffe, etc. (but probably not Pepper Pike, Moreland Hills, Gates Mills, etc. given that those outer East Side suburbs have way higher per capita incomes than anywhere on the West Side) (?)

Do all the above make sense, more or less?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,824,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Rocky River ~= parts of Shaker Heights, University Heights (both of those, esp. east of Warrensville Center Rd.), and Beachwood

Bay Village/Avon/Avon Lake ~= Richmond Hgts., Highland Hgts., Willowick, Eastlake, Willoughby, Wickliffe, etc. (but probably not Pepper Pike, Moreland Hills, Gates Mills, etc. given that those outer East Side suburbs have way higher per capita incomes than anywhere on the West Side) (?)

Do all the above make sense, more or less?

Rocky River is about a million times whiter than any of those places you listed as comparable. I think it's more like Chagrin Falls without the quaintness (though even CF might be more diverse).

I think Bay Village and Beachwood/Pepper Pike are more on par (though again, diversity). I think Avon is more like Solon (more cookie-cutter suburban and Avon Lake is more like Orange (more rural in general).

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM

816 posts, read 1,384,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
gentiles tho
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland