Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I just visited West Park for the first time last week. I was blown away by how nice it is. Seems very safe and upscale, just not really trendy per say since it is mostly families and older folks in general. Really every stop on the Red Line starting w/ W.117-Madison is like this (going out towards the airport)
West Park is probably Cleveland's most suburbanesque neighborhood.

The section of West Park north of Lorain Avenue and west of Warren Road is really the best. Many very nice homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
You wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but Chicago winters have much more sunshine than here... even on bitter cold days. It does help a person's mood.
Except in the winter, because it's on the far edge of the central time zone and it's getting dark at 4 pm! I lived there for a short time and thought I was living in Alaska. Soul crushing, to me! Only an hour but it truly bugged me.

I'll take NE Ohio cloudy days over living in darkness after work any time.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Except in the winter, because it's on the far edge of the central time zone and it's getting dark at 4 pm! I lived there for a short time and thought I was living in Alaska. Soul crushing, to me! Only an hour but it truly bugged me.

Completely agree. Boston has the same thing- pitch black out while you're still at work. Cleveland has an hour more sun than we do. You guys also have sun until 9, a little after, in the summer. We don't come close to that. I also recently learned that boston is the windiest major city in the country.

Much prefer Cleveland weather, any time of year.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
So, I have a few questions for you.

What kind of stuff do you like doing?
Are you from Tampa?
Do you prefer suburbs or city living?

As far as your questions, people can and certainly have made a good living here, like any place it's largely what you make of it. I originally was from Cleveland, then lived 6 years in Orlando and have spent the past year in Tampa Bay. Personally, I like Cleveland best of the three and would like to move back (or at least move somewhere more similar.

One thing can't be understated especially for someone who hasn't experienced it before: northern winters are different, and if you aren't prepared in terms of dress and attitude, then you won't be happy. Layers, layers, layers is the golden word.

As far as things to do, I would say that Cleveland's doesn't have the "big ticket" obvious attractions like Disney/Universal and the Beach. However, as a whole, I would say the Cleveland area has a lot more to do for locals than Florida does.

The lake is nice, but nice in its own way. The sand content of Florida beaches is certainly nicer, and depending on where you go, the water clearer. But Lake Erie has advantages too. For one thing, No One Ever kayaks or SUPs in the Gulf or the Atlantic, whereas from May to October in Cleveland that is commonplace. I would also say that Lake Erie (in season of course, is better for exercise type swimming, there are regularly swims out to lighthouses and such in the summer. Also, whereas Florida beaches are generally just that, the beach, it's not uncommon for Lake Erie beaches to have 200 foot bluffs overlooking the water (which also accentuates the sunset), and is fantastic for sledding in the winter (it's actually quite fun), forest, marshland (like a pleasant version of a swamp with chipmunks and beavers instead of snakes/gators), and breakwall (rocks that you can hike on a half mile out. I also like that I can go in and around without getting sand everywhere, the sun doesn't beat down as hard, and it looks different in every season (when it freezes over, you can hike on it, especially gorgeous). Check out Edgewater Live in the summer, I am not aware of any beachside events like it in FL.

If you like sports, Cleveland has MLB, NBA and NFL (trade NBA for NHL with Tampa), but honestly the fan experience and atmosphere is MUCH better. There's also Cleveland State Basketball, Arena Football, Minor League Baseball, Minor League Hockey, and of course The Ohio State University is about 2 hours away. Seeing a game in the Horseshoe is just one of those life experiences you have to do.

As far as trails are concerned.. Do you like swamp? Don't get me wrong I know it has its own beauty and airboat rides to see gators are cool. But. Honestly Ohio's landscape and nature just feels much more pleasant. There are no predatory creatures that pose you a risk to my knowledge, and while Palm Trees are nice, give me a thick deciduous canopy any day. The smell is much better even. Cleveland does as other posters have pointed out have a National Park, and one of the Top 5 Metroparks systems in NA, in addition to the second largest arboretum in America (Holden). The diversity of landscape here (lakeshore, Forest, waterfalls, marshland, rolling hills/skiing!, and just unique geology will be truly amazing to you.

Besides all that, the cost of living is much lower (you can get a nice house in an A rated school district for 150K, or even less), there's much less traffic (as much due to layout/transport/number of roads as anything.. Metro Cleveland has more people 3.5M vs 2.8M in Tampa-St Pete-Clearwater), more of a sense of community/civic engagement, it generally feels safer in the areas that are safe at least. There is much more history and museums/culture here if that's your thing, and the built urban environment at least IMO is better, as is public transport. You are also in a better location to explore the rest of the country/world: Shenandoah Mountains, DC, Toronto, Chicago, Louisville/Mammoth Cave, Niagara, Pittsburgh, Etc. are all pretty doable weekend trips, and while winters may be rough, I'd say NE Ohio has a big edge on weather vs. FL from May-October at least, perhaps even April. Sorry one more thing: Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world is an hour to the west.

Good luck!

Edit: since you mentioned trails, this is what I want you to do: go to Google Maps, and type in Cleveland, then hit the bike icon, and note the green areas, then do the same by comparison for Tampa. The difference is so vast it's almost depressing. I will say that Bayshore Blvd., Pinellas Trail and Courtney Campbell are pretty cool, but apart from that, the Tampa area is severely lacking in the trails department compared to other metros.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 04-13-2016 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 01:49 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:

I prefer the sun in the morning while I'm on the train or bus or walking to work. Gets me energized. Also, it's overall sunnier in Chicago, so you can take a walk at lunch and it's more likely to be sunny. I don't understand why people get excited over the hour of sun after work. Feels like I'm getting tossed crumbs. "You're free, go have fun for an hour!" Don't like it. Hate daylight saving time.

There is a lot about the weather in Cleveland I like better, though. Less wind and less humidity. Based on those two alone, I'd probably rather have Cleveland's weather. But the eastern edge of the time zone thing is a perk to me, not a drawback.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I prefer the sun in the morning while I'm on the train or bus or walking to work. Gets me energized. Also, it's overall sunnier in Chicago, so you can take a walk at lunch and it's more likely to be sunny. I don't understand why people get excited over the hour of sun after work. Feels like I'm getting tossed crumbs. "You're free, go have fun for an hour!" Don't like it. Hate daylight saving time.

There is a lot about the weather in Cleveland I like better, though. Less wind and less humidity. Based on those two alone, I'd probably rather have Cleveland's weather. But the eastern edge of the time zone thing is a perk to me, not a drawback.
Granted, I don't live in Chicago, but the sun being absent at 4 here is just the most depressing thing ever. Home at 6 pm and it feels like the middle of the night. Bed time!

Just a miserable time of year. Absolutely miserable.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Except in the winter, because it's on the far edge of the central time zone and it's getting dark at 4 pm!
That never bothered me. I found it fascinating. On overcast days in late December, streetlights start coming on as early as 3:30 pm. I loved it.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Cleveland has an hour more sun than we do. You guys also have sun until 9, a little after, in the summer. We don't come close to that.
Of course, Cleveland doesn't really have "an hour more sun" than Boston or Chicago. It has roughly the same amount of daylight, summer or winter... but it gets light later in the morning and dark later in the evening due to its more western position in its time zone.

When I lived in Chicago, I did miss seeing a bit of residual twilight off to the west as late as 9:45 pm in late June like I did in Cleveland. I'm looking forward to seeing that again this year.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 AM

538 posts, read 658,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
West Park is probably Cleveland's most suburbanesque neighborhood.

The section of West Park north of Lorain Avenue and west of Warren Road is really the best. Many very nice homes.
Agreed. Pretty much everything north/west of the westpark red line station. Though its not like everything south of there (down 140th) is bad

Old 04-18-2016, 04:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
CLE is a nice enough city. Neither my favorite nor least favorite. Certainly livable. Nice metro park system, at least a decent selection for dining, affordable. They have a good NPR station.

Just, you know, don't hold your breath on the home town team winning a Super Bowl and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland