Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 11:19 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Cleveland Fans are Mitches for scalping their seats to Cub fans. They deserved to lose.
Very disheartening. Not a real home game. Clevelanders are supposed to be prouder than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 01:30 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Cleveland Fans are Mitches for scalping their seats to Cub fans. They deserved to lose.
Game 7 tickets likely were sold with the possibility that there never would be a Game 7. Stubhub said the average sale price was $1,900 with some tickets selling above $10,000. Some tickets went for $20k each, which might pay a kid's tuition for a year or two at public university.

By selling these tickets, some fans perhaps will be able to afford season tickets for next year.

Likely, those selling the tickets had much fewer financial resources than those buying the tickets.

Actually, I think it's callousness to the nth degree to criticize the sellers when nobody knows the financial circumstances of the sellers. Some of the sellers might not even be Clevelanders, but persons who bought the tickets during public sales with the intent from the beginning of flipping the tickets.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:46 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I know we weren't supposed to be there and I know it was an amazing year, but this one hurt. Hoping we'll be able to go all the way next year!

Old 11-05-2016, 08:30 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
The Indians won 2 out of 3 on the road in Wrigley Field, which I am sure was not packed with Indians fans. The lack of fans in the home stadium wouldn't have affected the outcome of the last two games in my opinion. Watching a ballgame live inside a stadium is a privilege and if people think they can scalp their tickets for higher prices and make better use of the newfound money, then so be it. Besides, I'm sure the Chicago fans pumped in a lot of wealth into the local economy during their stay in Cleveland, especially to Downtown establishments. It wasn't a lose all for the City from this standpoint don't you think.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
Urban- I agree. I figured that each home game meant a few million in revenue to the local businesses and city. Same when the Cavs were playing in the playoffs. Not to mention the shear energy and excitement! A few bars probably made multiple months of sales per game!

How about those Lakers blowing out Golden State last night!

Cavs next for more playoffs in CLE. Next year? Browns? It's going to happen.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The Indians won 2 out of 3 on the road in Wrigley Field, which I am sure was not packed with Indians fans. The lack of fans in the home stadium wouldn't have affected the outcome of the last two games in my opinion. Watching a ballgame live inside a stadium is a privilege and if people think they can scalp their tickets for higher prices and make better use of the newfound money, then so be it. Besides, I'm sure the Chicago fans pumped in a lot of wealth into the local economy during their stay in Cleveland, especially to Downtown establishments. It wasn't a lose all for the City from this standpoint don't you think.
Very true.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:09 PM

2016 was a banner year for downtown Cleveland lodging, entertainment, and dining businesses.

Millions spent in downtown Cleveland during World Series games | fox8.com

This is a shocking, hard-to-believe claim even for those of us who know that downtown is infinitely more dynamic than any prior time in the last half century.

<<Back in 1997, when Flannery's Irish Pub opened on Prospect Avenue, it was one of a handful of bars and restaurants around Jacobs Field. Today, more than 200 bars and restaurants are within about a mile radius of Progressive Field.>>

Welcome to Cleveland, World Series fans

I guess Gateway was a success, but part of the story also is the resurgence of PlayhouseSquare and the burgeoning growth of the downtown residential population, often empty-nesting Baby Boomers and others with large discretionary incomes.

The Cubs reportedly had 5 million persons view their championship parade, over three times the turn-out in Cleveland for the Cavaliers victory parade. That provides some idea of the relative fan bases.

How did so many Cubs fans take over Progressive Field? | WKYC.com

Having so many Cubs fans in Cleveland boosted the economic multiplier effect on the economy, because cash spent by visitors from Chicago and outside the Cleveland region were not sports and entertainment dollars diverted from other Cleveland sports and entertainment options.

http://www.economicsonline.co.uk/Man...er_effect.html

If Kansas City is any example, one big winner may be RTA with not only increased ridership, but a sizable boost in its 1 percent sales tax collections.

<<
For example, Kansas City collected $150.5 million in sales taxes attributable to October 2014 when the Royals lost the World Series that year. That was up more than 13 percent from the year before. And 2015 sustained that bump with $153.7 million in sales tax receipts in October when the Royals took the crown.
Convention and tourism taxes followed a similar path.>>

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...110809137.html

Cubs fans in Cleveland apparently felt their financial outlays were well worth the emotional fulfillment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...102-story.html

Last edited by WRnative; 11-05-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 AM

Default Lindor goes from Gold to Platinum

Francisco Lindor posted one of the very best sophomore campaigns in Indians history. He also became the first Indian to receive the Rawlings Platinum Glove Award as the best defensive player in the American League.

<<Lindor, 23 on Monday, not only is the first Indians player to win a Platinum Glove, but he's the youngest player ever to be so honored. Rawlings has been handing out Gold Gloves since 1957. This is the sixth year for the Platinum Glove award....

A statement by Rawlings said Platinum Glove winners are determined by a defensive metric devised by SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) and the votes of fans from around the world.
Based on SABR's Defensive Index, Lindor led all AL shortstops with a 18.5 SDI>>

Cleveland Indians' Francisco Lindor goes from Gold (Glove) to Platinum (Glove) for defense | cleveland.com

Lindor and Rizzo win 2016 Rawlings Platinum Glove Awards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland