Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,137,392 times

Advertisements

Last night: Browns game and Paul McCartney concert, but yeah, it's low.

I was there Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

That said, tix prices make it affordable to most parks. I sat in row 2 behind home plate for $75! Last night, there were tix for $6 behind the home run wall. Unreal!

Wish I could attend more- plus, the way it ended last night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 PM

8,817 posts, read 15,253,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Last night: Browns game and Paul McCartney concert, but yeah, it's low.

I was there Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

That said, tix prices make it affordable to most parks. I sat in row 2 behind home plate for $75! Last night, there were tix for $6 behind the home run wall. Unreal!

Wish I could attend more- plus, the way it ended last night...
That doesn't explain less than 20k for Monday's game and around 14k for Tues and Wed.

I agree that the ticket prices are very reasonable as are concessions and parking. All which adds to why I'm wondering about the low attendance numbers.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:52 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,346,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That doesn't explain less than 20k for Monday's game and around 14k for Tues and Wed.

I agree that the ticket prices are very reasonable as are concessions and parking. All which adds to why I'm wondering about the low attendance numbers.
Clevelanders, I hate to say it, are bandwagoners nowadays. At least when it comes to Cavs and Indians. In a month from now, if the Indians are still first place, the stadium will sell out. Yes, it takes an entire season practically of great baseball to get people to show up and buy 15 dollar tickets consistently. Then if they don't win the World Series, a large portion of people will complain about it, despite having not attended a game until September.
Many teams with no playoff hopes whatsoever still draw 5-10 k more per night. This has been a source of Cleveland embarrassment for me. Personally, an Indians world series would be the greatest sports event that I can imagine (above NBA championship and Super Bowl for me, though I will acknowledge that the Super Bowl party would be insane).

Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,323,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Clevelanders, I hate to say it, are bandwagoners nowadays. At least when it comes to Cavs and Indians.
I'm not certain this is true. The Cavs did well in the interim between the two LeBron eras.

Part of the problem with the Indians is it's a small effective market compared the Cavaliers (which don't face competition from Pittsburgh and Cincinnati franchises) and the declining popularity of baseball.

Another part of the problem was the trading of Cy Young pitchers, etc. The Dolans did lose much credibility.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 AM

538 posts, read 654,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Clevelanders, I hate to say it, are bandwagoners nowadays. At least when it comes to Cavs and Indians. In a month from now, if the Indians are still first place, the stadium will sell out. Yes, it takes an entire season practically of great baseball to get people to show up and buy 15 dollar tickets consistently. Then if they don't win the World Series, a large portion of people will complain about it, despite having not attended a game until September.
Many teams with no playoff hopes whatsoever still draw 5-10 k more per night. This has been a source of Cleveland embarrassment for me. Personally, an Indians world series would be the greatest sports event that I can imagine (above NBA championship and Super Bowl for me, though I will acknowledge that the Super Bowl party would be insane).
You hit the nail on the head. This is pathetic and embarrassing that a 1st place team 20+ games over .500 cannot draw 15,000 fans, especially because the cost of going to an Indians game is among the cheapest in the MLB. And these types of crowds have been the norm for years now. These tiny crowds are not a 1-2 game blip. They are to be expected, and it is sad. Cleveland is truly a bandwagon town now with the Indians and the Cavaliers.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Tribe a computer analystics favorite to win the World Series

Only the Cubs and the Nationals receive as high a probability rating to win the World Series.

<<
FanGraphs: 11.9 percent
Baseball Prospectus: 14.9 percent
Only the Cubs received better odds from Baseball Prospectus to win the Fall Classic. FanGraphs gives both the Cubs and Nationals a better shot.>>

Projection systems give Cleveland Indians nearly a 90 percent chance to win AL Central | cleveland.com

I don't believe Cleveland is taking October baseball seriously yet.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Once every 50+ years

Trevor Bauer won his 10th game this evening, becoming the Tribe's fifth pitcher with 10 or more wins this season. The last time reportedly that the Tribe had five 10-game winners was 1961.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
You hit the nail on the head. This is pathetic and embarrassing that a 1st place team 20+ games over .500 cannot draw 15,000 fans, especially because the cost of going to an Indians game is among the cheapest in the MLB. And these types of crowds have been the norm for years now. These tiny crowds are not a 1-2 game blip. They are to be expected, and it is sad. Cleveland is truly a bandwagon town now with the Indians and the Cavaliers.

Attendance is up 132,600 over this point last year.
Change in Baseball Attendance 2015 to 2016 | Baseball-Reference.com

Not a huge jump, but at least it's not down. Overall they are about 45,000 behind last year's total with 13 home games left. I'll be interested in seeing how far ahead it ends up over last year's total.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Are you ready?

The Indians now have more than a 99 percent probability of making the play-offs, according to mlb.com. Check AL Central here.

Postseason Projections Standings | MLB.com

Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The Indians now have more than a 99 percent probability of making the play-offs, according to mlb.com. Check AL Central here.

Postseason Projections Standings | MLB.com
My son has already informed me that we are going to head up there for the playoffs. I'm not disagreeing with him but I'm not willing to count my chickens just yet, but it's getting close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland