Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM

24 posts, read 61,463 times

Advertisements

I have received a possible relocation offer, office is in 44115 zip code. Can anyone direct me to which suburbs to consider that have good schools , not too long of a commute,and probably ?newer( cookie cutter) type homes( we would be moving again in 5 or six years so resale is important) .thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 AM

378 posts, read 339,529 times
Lakewood is a solid bet. The schools are superior to anything in Cleveland and the environment is still one in which a significant portion of kids walk to school.

The housing is older but is generally nicely updated. The level of renovation/restoration will change drastically based on your price point, though it should be noted that you can find a house of a very high caliber in Lakewood or Cleveland Heights for the price of a more generic developer-built house out in an exurb.

For example:
Moderator cut: links removed, please read our terms of service

Resale should continue to be strong in this area, too, as the West Side of Cleveland and the city of Lakewood continue to see increased demand. Cleveland Heights is another notable, older, established, nice suburb but it has an older population and is generally not seeing the same influx of new residents that Lakewood is experiencing.

If you're set on more of a generic suburb - subdivisions, strip malls, car-centric - you're pretty safe with anything west or south of Lakewood and Cleveland.

Last edited by Yac; 08-11-2016 at 01:40 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 AM

372 posts, read 591,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fira12 View Post
I have received a possible relocation offer, office is in 44115 zip code. Can anyone direct me to which suburbs to consider that have good schools , not too long of a commute,and probably ?newer( cookie cutter) type homes( we would be moving again in 5 or six years so resale is important) .thanks for any input.

Cookie cutter screams Avon to me.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 AM

Thank you!

Old 08-12-2016, 04:00 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,292,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Lakewood is a solid bet. The schools are superior to anything in Cleveland and the environment is still one in which a significant portion of kids walk to school.

The housing is older but is generally nicely updated. The level of renovation/restoration will change drastically based on your price point, though it should be noted that you can find a house of a very high caliber in Lakewood or Cleveland Heights for the price of a more generic developer-built house out in an exurb.

For example:
Moderator cut: links removed, please read our terms of service

Resale should continue to be strong in this area, too, as the West Side of Cleveland and the city of Lakewood continue to see increased demand. Cleveland Heights is another notable, older, established, nice suburb but it has an older population and is generally not seeing the same influx of new residents that Lakewood is experiencing.

If you're set on more of a generic suburb - subdivisions, strip malls, car-centric - you're pretty safe with anything west or south of Lakewood and Cleveland.
See, I don't get why so many on this forum do this. The OP specifically requested a suburb with "newer" (cookie cutter) type homes, and someone recommends Lakewood or Cleveland Heights?!

It's like me shopping for a Christmas or birthday gift for someone, and picking out what I like instead of what they'd like. Makes no sense.

To the OP: What is your idea of "not too long a commute"? 20 minutes? 30 minutes? Can you be specific?

I'm thinking any of the suburbs just at (or over) the county line, west or south... Westlake... Avon... Strongsville... North Royalton... Brecksville...?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:00 PM

30 minutes or less would be best, thanks!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
See, I don't get why so many on this forum do this. The OP specifically requested a suburb with "newer" (cookie cutter) type homes, and someone recommends Lakewood or Cleveland Heights?!

It's like me shopping for a Christmas or birthday gift for someone, and picking out what I like instead of what they'd like. Makes no sense.

To the OP: What is your idea of "not too long a commute"? 20 minutes? 30 minutes? Can you be specific?

I'm thinking any of the suburbs just at (or over) the county line, west or south... Westlake... Avon... Strongsville... North Royalton... Brecksville...?
The OP prefaced "cookie cutter" with "probably." Therefore, while the OP assumed he/she would like something newer because of future resale value, the request was not only "cookie cutter." I also provided examples of new construction in Lakewood, though that link has since been removed as I misinterpreted the rule regarding links. I was just providing increased information on an unfamiliar area. It would have been different had the OP specified the desire for something "cookie cutter" was because of a preference for subdivisions or a decentralized area.

To the OP, if you are looking for something suburban but still on the more populated side, look into Westlake, Avon, etc. Anything closer to the lakeshore. If you prefer rural, then Strongsville, Olmsted Falls, and the surrounding area are better suited. However, be aware that commute times to these areas can vary heavily. I work in the Olmsted Falls area and while it's not far from where I live on the near-west side of Cleveland, the traffic on 71 and 480 can back up quickly at rush hour. My commute takes about 35 minutes to get between Cleveland and Olmsted Falls, though I am fortunate to have a reverse-rush hour commute so I generally avoid the typical traffic.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,292,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
If you prefer rural, then Strongsville, Olmsted Falls, and the surrounding area are better suited.
Have you been to Strongsville lately? These days, I would be hard pressed to call it "rural" by any standard.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
Beachwood.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Have you been to Strongsville lately? These days, I would be hard pressed to call it "rural" by any standard.
Yes, I have.

In the core of the development around the mall it's a bit built up, but moving south and west along Pearl and Royalton, respectively, the development loses density pretty quickly. Especially moving toward Columbia Station.

Maybe rural wasn't the best word choice in the sense that Strongsville isn't all bucolic farms, but I would generally consider sizeable chunks of the surrounding area from North Royalton down into Eaton Township and over to Strongsville to be overwhelmingly rural, which is why I tend to not group Strongsville into the same category as more defined suburbs such as Parma, Westlake, Berea, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland