Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:11 AM

159 posts, read 204,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
My guess on private schools is that if you have a max of around 125K for a house, you don't have 20K more for the private school each year.
Not necessarily relevant anyway. I'm really just trying to figure out why this middle class area I'm seeing with my own eyes has such horribly rated schools.

I'm not looking to go private, cost aside I don't particularly support the concept - which means we accept the public schools as they are (thus my interest in the topic) or look elsewhere. Only thing I could theorize was that the middle class people I'm seeing all send their kids to private schools, thus leaving the public schools to lower income families with parents who don't/can't participate as much in their kids' education, and test scores slip. Wondering if that's the case, or if it's a case of really corrupt public schooling system, or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
Not necessarily relevant anyway. I'm really just trying to figure out why this middle class area I'm seeing with my own eyes has such horribly rated schools.

I'm not looking to go private, cost aside I don't particularly support the concept - which means we accept the public schools as they are (thus my interest in the topic) or look elsewhere. Only thing I could theorize was that the middle class people I'm seeing all send their kids to private schools, thus leaving the public schools to lower income families with parents who don't/can't participate as much in their kids' education, and test scores slip. Wondering if that's the case, or if it's a case of really corrupt public schooling system, or what.
The concept of education without state and federal compulsion? Interesting. Will you also not let your kids attend Harvard or Princeton or Yale if the opportunity arises?

City data doesn't use tax dollars either, so you might be wasting your time here looking for information.

Sorry if I sound flippant, I just really don't know why you'd deny your kids these opportunities because of some misguided notion. Lots of good private options that aren't bank breakers in Cleveland. If you want to go public ok cool but you will be paying the price anyway with higher taxes and opportunity costs is all I'm saying.

I won't comment anymore on schools. Just as someone in education, I feel it necessary to dispel some of this.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 08-23-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'll offer my CA opinion:

1. People are very friendly.
2. The University area has major museums (the kids' zone at the Botanical Gardens is perfect for your youngsters).
3. Yes, the MetroParks system is incredible.
4. CLE HTS has higher prop. taxes than other areas.
5. Lakewood is more diverse than I think you think it is- for the westside.
6. Winter: Sledding! There are places not far from CLE.
7. Schools: I know. Middle class area and low scores. I'd tour a school and see for yourself. I do not go with online "scores" anymore. I've seen better teaching and better vibes in lower "performing" schools.

Just curious: From where are you moving?
Higher property taxes! This is what I've been missing apparently. It's comparable to NJ, pretty nuts!

5. We did check it out a little. We definitely like what's available on the east side more, but we might explore options more after understanding the tax situation in CH and UH

7. Great suggestion, we'll probably do this if we go for this area. It's one of the more bizarre things we've run into in any of these cities, it feels like the twilight zone or something - not quite sure how it's a thing.

As far as where we're moving from - Pittsburgh. We both grew up in CA, traveled for a year, then moved here 4 years ago sight unseen when we got pregnant and had to settle down somewhere for a bit We generally like it here, but it's not where we want to settle for the next 5+ years. For one, we're ready for a change again. The other problems we have with it here we've basically adapted to, but we're just ready for a change and we've been priced out of the only areas we'd consider here.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
I'm in Santa Barbara.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The concept of education without state and federal compulsion? Interesting. Will you also not let your kids attend Harvard or Princeton or Yale if the opportunity arises?

City data doesn't use tax dollars either, so you might be wasting your time here looking for information.

Sorry if I sound flippant, I just really don't know why you'd deny your kids these opportunities because of some misguided notion. Lots of good private options that aren't bank breakers in Cleveland. If you want to go public ok cool but you will be paying the price anyway with higher taxes and opportunity costs is all I'm saying.

I won't comment anymore on schools. Just as someone in education, I feel it necessary to dispel some of this.
It's an ideology issue, and one I'll admit I haven't thought of a TON seeing as how our oldest just turned 3. But basically I believe that if you're going to live in a place then your kids should go to school there. Parents who care about education pulling their kids out and into private schools circumvents a push for improvement, and leaves the public schools with kids whose parents don't care or are too disadvantaged to do anything about it, which is a recipe for disaster in the community. An involved parent can fill in the gaps that a lacking school may leave (at least through Jr High), while being involved and pushing for improvement in the system. It's hard to do anything about parents who just don't care, but if that's the only problem then at least your kid is bringing scores up a smidge and setting an example. It has to start somewhere.

As for attending an Ivy university, I would absolutely let them. I'm not paying for it though. I may help them pay for it a little, and hopefully they'll get scholarships. But parents buying their kids success is a concept that needs to die, it puts those who can't at an extremely unfair disadvantage and promotes many of the dividing issues we face in this country. I absolutely understand wanting the best for your kids, but I feel these practices are generally irresponsible in the larger contexts of where we live, and private schools for a 6 year old are really just a lite version of that.

That said, it's the last I'll say about the topic as well. This thread is asking why the public schools appear so bad - if parents putting their kids in private schools is the reason then case closed. If not, still up for discussion, but not any further about why I'm personally only interested in public schools in the area.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm in Santa Barbara.
So did you grow up in Cleveland, or live there at some point then? Santa Barbara is a great place, can't fault you for headed there Having grown up in CA it's always funny to me when we mention it to people here. Everyone's dream is to go to CA and they have a difficult time understanding how we ended up in Pittsburgh when we could have chosen anywhere. I have little doubt this trend will continue wherever we end up lol...

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
My mom is from CLE and my cousins live there. I was there last week for three baseball games. Something about CLE draws me there and I'd like to be downtown or near. Cost of living is a fraction and the amenities suffocate what I have here by far.

With the increase in fires (a few big ones still going) and the lack of water, it's not what it was when I was young.

CLE is underestimated by those living here.

If I was a surfer or beach goer, I could argue for SB, but I'm not and neither are my kids. Erie is enough water and we have family there and in Maine on a lake.

My side business would be easy to run out of CLE (I ship so its location to the east coast is better).

Wife and kids not has big on CLE as their father.

If this was 1850, I would Pa Ingalls this and we'd be there. HAHA

Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post

Compare the demographics and test scores of the schools you've looked at with the schools in Lakewood -- which is also full of great neighborhoods you can afford -- and you will arrive at your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland