Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,639,132 times

Advertisements

This was months ago, but en route from Knoxville TN to Rochester NY (which is a long drive--11hrs-- and I try to shave an hour or two off the time) to see in-laws, I was speeding above 90 through Willoughby Hills, on that part of the interstate where there are "two" of them. I think it was I-90. There is one freeway then an "express" freeway.

(Before anyone wants to lecture me, it was 1AM and my car was LITERALLY the only one on the road, and I can assure you I am a very safe and defensive driver.)

Pulled over and the police (it was a younger woman in training with a backup regular cop) were nothing but nice and respectful, zapped me for 89 in a 60. I'm thinking "That's just great." Anticipated a huge speeding fine PLUS I was sure automatic reckless which is a big deal. As in, I'd have to get an attorney and come back up for court, etc. (Not to mention time and $$$$$$$)

She wrote me only for speeding; I was shocked at the only $205 fine (would be like $500 in TN...not to mention a state like Virginia where anything over 80 can literally land you arrested), I even asked, "did you cite me for reckless?" To which she replied "no" and just said, "slow down please and try to have a nice night." Nice lady.

$205 and no reckless for 29 over (89 in a 60)? I surely lucked out and got pulled over in the right place.

When I called the court to inquire and pay, I politely asked if I had any other options such as writing the judge a letter pleading guilty, etc. and the clerk happily took $20 more than the original fine and said the prosecutor would drop it to an equipment violation (no points). She clearly understood it's not feasible to drive 8 hours to court for a speeding ticket to try to keep your record clean. Maybe it's because I clearly understood that I broke the law and wanted to take responsibility for my actions, albeit with a motive of trying to not have my insurance skyrocket. I'm mid 30s now and am FINALLY paying cheap insurance, lol.

I seriously couldn't believe it was that easy. I was out $245 but that's it and no points nor premium increases. I will say I do drive a conservative car with two FOP police support stickers, and she clearly realized and could appreciate we were traveling a long distance and trying to make some time, as we had the dog and luggage, etc.

Just wanted to drop you guys a note, from an out of towner's experience, letting you know that was the easiest and hassle free 90MPH ticket I've ever received. I wish it were like this more places, as I've had god-awful experiences with traffic cops and the court bureaucracy in other areas, including Knoxville.

I will say though, 60MPH is too low of a speed limit right there IMO.

Bottom line: I never in a million years expected such a pleasant experience all-around for being busted for a pretty serious speeding offense. Thank you, Willoughby Hills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,305,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
This was months ago, but en route from Knoxville TN to Rochester NY (which is a long drive--11hrs-- and I try to shave an hour or two off the time) to see in-laws, I was speeding above 90 through Willoughby Hills, on that part of the interstate where there are "two" of them. I think it was I-90. There is one freeway then an "express" freeway.

(Before anyone wants to lecture me, it was 1AM and my car was LITERALLY the only one on the road, and I can assure you I am a very safe and defensive driver.)

Pulled over and the police (it was a younger woman in training with a backup regular cop) were nothing but nice and respectful, zapped me for 89 in a 60. I'm thinking "That's just great." Anticipated a huge speeding fine PLUS I was sure automatic reckless which is a big deal. As in, I'd have to get an attorney and come back up for court, etc. (Not to mention time and $$$$$$$)

She wrote me only for speeding; I was shocked at the only $205 fine (would be like $500 in TN...not to mention a state like Virginia where anything over 80 can literally land you arrested), I even asked, "did you cite me for reckless?" To which she replied "no" and just said, "slow down please and try to have a nice night." Nice lady.

$205 and no reckless for 29 over (89 in a 60)? I surely lucked out and got pulled over in the right place.

When I called the court to inquire and pay, I politely asked if I had any other options such as writing the judge a letter pleading guilty, etc. and the clerk happily took $20 more than the original fine and said the prosecutor would drop it to an equipment violation (no points). She clearly understood it's not feasible to drive 8 hours to court for a speeding ticket to try to keep your record clean. Maybe it's because I clearly understood that I broke the law and wanted to take responsibility for my actions, albeit with a motive of trying to not have my insurance skyrocket. I'm mid 30s now and am FINALLY paying cheap insurance, lol.

I seriously couldn't believe it was that easy. I was out $245 but that's it and no points nor premium increases. I will say I do drive a conservative car with two FOP police support stickers, and she clearly realized and could appreciate we were traveling a long distance and trying to make some time, as we had the dog and luggage, etc.

Just wanted to drop you guys a note, from an out of towner's experience, letting you know that was the easiest and hassle free 90MPH ticket I've ever received. I wish it were like this more places, as I've had god-awful experiences with traffic cops and the court bureaucracy in other areas, including Knoxville.

I will say though, 60MPH is too low of a speed limit right there IMO.

Bottom line: I never in a million years expected such a pleasant experience all-around for being busted for a pretty serious speeding offense. Thank you, Willoughby Hills!
This is funny!

Willoughby Hills likely is the biggest speed trap in Greater Cleveland. They patrol both I-271 and I-90 relentlessly. Mentor has many more miles of interstate/Route 2 and I relatively rarely see their patrol cars.

IMO, it's sick that the speed limit on I-271 express lanes is 60 mph.

Candidly, Willoughby Hills' goal seemingly is to collect as much in fines as possible. The point is that they likely aren't as interested in speed enforcement as the revenue.

Thank your lucky stars that you weren't ticketed by the Ohio Highway Patrol! Next to Willoughby Hills, the OHP I-90 most extensively, especially east of Willoughby Hills.

You're right though that in many other parts of the country you would have had to hire an attorney with political connections to the relevant judge. Your costs would have been $1,000 to $2,000.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,639,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This is funny!

Willoughby Hills likely is the biggest speed trap in Greater Cleveland. They patrol both I-271 and I-90 relentlessly. Mentor has many more miles of interstate/Route 2 and I relatively rarely see their patrol cars.

IMO, it's sick that the speed limit on I-271 express lanes is 60 mph.

Candidly, Willoughby Hills' goal seemingly is to collect as much in fines as possible. The point is that they likely aren't as interested in speed enforcement as the revenue.

Thank your lucky stars that you weren't ticketed by the Ohio Highway Patrol! Next to Willoughby Hills, the OHP I-90 most extensively, especially east of Willoughby Hills.

You're right though that in many other parts of the country you would have had to hire an attorney with political connections to the relevant judge. Your costs would have been $1,000 to $2,000.

Yeah, and I can appreciate it's nothing but a money machine. I'd be annoyed paying a fine for 5 over (or for any "bullsHHT ticket"), but 89 in a 60 I'll gladly write the check for no points on my license. I was caught red-handed guilty 29mph over, no excuses, nothing, lol. The cops sensed I knew that which may have been another reason they were so nice, lol.

It was just nice to experience one of life's annoyances go so smoothly and stress-free.

I was pulled over in Gatlinburg, TN (lovely mountain town an hour from Knoxville--terrible tourist trap though) YEARS ago for speeding 15 over and they dragged me out of my car, "detained me", and very roughly threw me in the back of the cop car like I had just murdered a bus full of nuns and then proceeded to completely trash my car searching it, assuming I was some drug lord.

So I've had bad experiences with the traffic cops, too.

These WH officers were polite, reasonable, respectful, and I'm sure could appreciate the fact that I was trying to shave time off of an 11 hour, 750 mile drive on a literally empty road at 1AM.

Speaking of all this though, word to the wise....NEVER, EVER drive over 75MPH in Virginia. Va is the worst in the nation. Speed limit is 70, but any speed over 80MPH or 15 over the limit is automatic reckless. A guy I know was arrested and spent 3 days in jail because he got popped going 92. Yes, 3 days in jail for speeding. I've only driven through it once (on a different way home from Roc to Knox due to snow one year) and noticed quickly that nobody was speeding. I googled "Don't speed..." and the google suggestion filled in......"In Virginia". Lol.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM

5,266 posts, read 5,187,557 times
VA is notorious...especially the section near Wytheville where I-77 meets I-81
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland