Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:25 PM

182 posts, read 718,571 times

Advertisements

How is shaker heights? Does the east Cleveland crime really affect living in shaker heights? is shaker heights a communist neighborhood where your wealth is taxed away even though the cheap housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
How is shaker heights? Does the east Cleveland crime really affect living in shaker heights? is shaker heights a communist neighborhood where your wealth is taxed away even though the cheap housing?
Housing isn't necessarily cheap in Shaker Heights, and, yes the relatively rich communists who live there tax everyone's wealth away to support such services as backyard trash pick-up and very high per student public school expenditures.

Consider Texas instead.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Well, comparatively the housing isn't all that cheap. Taxes are definitely higher than most. Personally I think it would be pretty easy to live without government trash pick up (not exactly rocket science, I'm sure someone would create an app for on demand trash pick up if they were allowed to), but that's just me.

Shaker Heights is a good place though. I love walking around Shaker Lakes, the district by Van Aken is actually getting pretty cool too. 5 years ago, I don't remember ever having a reason to go there, but now it seems pretty nice. Communities in Shaker tend to be pretty close from what I've noticed too, so consider that. Really close to urban life, but also parts are quite suburban, so you can kind of have it both ways.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM

201 posts, read 237,680 times
Quote:
I've been a homeowner in Shaker Heights for nearly three years. I live in the Thornton Park neighborhood near the new Van Aken District (Van Aken District demo to start in Shaker Heights, as Harry's Pizzeria, other tenants sign on | cleveland.com). I realize I pay higher property and income tax rates than folks in other locations because I live in Shaker and work in Cleveland, but I embrace my higher taxes because I value what my location provides me: walking distance to a new downtown and rapid transit station, recreational amenities, commercial retail and church. Please keep in mind that those who choose to live in more exurban locales really don't save on taxes because of the increase in required driving from those locations to jobs, shopping and recreation. The increased driving has its own costs, which are not typically deductible from your federal income tax. Exurban locations also afford less transportation choice: you have to drive everywhere for everything. From my home in Shaker, I choose to drive, bike, walk or rapid to my destinations and I'm not stuck if something happens to my vehicle or the weather changes or I enjoy a few drinks or I don't feel like dealing with senseless, distracted drivers.

Although I do not have children, I also value living in a diverse, educated community whose schools embrace a wide spectrum of individuals from Cleveland's Mt. Pleasant neighborhood to the mansions along Shaker's canopied boulevards. Shaker schools annually produce a remarkable number of high-achieving, academically-talented future leaders. Over the past eight years, only Solon and St. Ignatius schools have produced more National Merit Semi-Finalists than Shaker throughout all of Northeast Ohio and I am proud to support such high levels of achievement with my tax dollars.

Every community offers potential residents a value proposition; choosing a residence means choosing a community and understanding how the amenities of both home and community meet your values. If you review the true cost (housing AND transportation) for a location, and you know what both that home and that community will provide you, then you can make the most informed decision about whether your choice is worth the cost to live there. I did my homework on many communities and decided my Shaker Heights home and community met my values and are worth what I have to pay to live there. I'm happy with my decision.

Anyone who would like more information about my experience living in Shaker Heights may private message me.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:56 PM

27 posts, read 32,567 times
Thank you!
I find out in December wether I get the job or not!
Will probably pester all of you again if I get in!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
dr J Planning..........Thanks so much for your sharing on SH. I'm going to message you asking about more info. WRnative already provided me with a ton of info on the eastern suburbs, which was awesome. I'm eventually moving to the Solon area, and I'm really interested in Shaker.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 PM

96 posts, read 105,326 times
Ohio City is up and coming and you should definitely be able to find a 1 bedroom or studio in that price range. Tremont is also on the rise and there are a ton of great restaurants within walking distance, and you're still minutes from downtown as well. Good luck with the job offer!

Old 12-20-2016, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 947 times
You should also consider Lakewood, Rocky River, Bay Village and Westlake - in that order. They are on the "westside" vs the east of downtown and are a VERY quick commute to downtown via the Shoreway and or I90. Lakewood is likely the cheapest and certainly the closest of the above and is also the most urban (TONS of great restaurants and fun commercial). Rocky River also has some "fancier" commercial areas though the rent is higher and it is less young and diverse. Bay Village and Westlake are scenic and beautiful places to live although further from the city and again far less urban, edgy and hip for the most park (outside of Crocker Park in Westlake but that is a hike). Lakewood remains the hippest area of the metroplex according to most. Tremont is trendy near its core but gets very dicey very quickly (although the rents ignore this fact). Ohio City has some great spots but again - it's quite "edgy" in a lot of areas and recently pricey as well. Lakewood would be my first stop for a recent transplant - it is safe, convenient and you really can't go wrong. You can always move to another area the next year if you choose. $650/700 will land you a great 1 bedroom apartment. Ideally, look to be west of Bunts Road if you can and north of Madison Ave. The swankier areas are close to the lake (Lake Road, Edgewater Dr.) and the trendy commercial is on Detroit Ave and also some on Madison Ave. Any apartments inside those borders would be a very safe, pedestrian, enjoyable spot to live and a fast commute into town. There is also a great busline if you live close to Clifton Blvd.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
There's a great bus line on Detroit AV in Lakewood as well. Madison, not so much. Detroit runs every 15 minutes, Madison every hour.

But if the OP is going to be working at the CC, Lakewood would be a bit too far for busing every day. It takes an hour and a bus transfer from downtown on the Healthline.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:58 AM

220 posts, read 321,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There's a great bus line on Detroit AV in Lakewood as well. Madison, not so much. Detroit runs every 15 minutes, Madison every hour.

But if the OP is going to be working at the CC, Lakewood would be a bit too far for busing every day. It takes an hour and a bus transfer from downtown on the Healthline.
True about the bus, but if he lived close to West 117th he could take the rapid to University Circle. Though personally if I was working on CC's main campus, I'd definitely look at UC, Little Italy, or Cedar Fairmount first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland