Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,225,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Perhaps consider visiting the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks while snow is still on the ground.
For all the griping about Cleveland in the winter, there is some truly neat stuff about it.
This is the best.........the whole metroparks and CVNP, actually. It's a special kind of winter quiet and beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Yes I do plan to get the monthly pass....got a day pass today and will do so tomorrow. I will probably check out Rocky River area tomorrow and the better part of Lakewood to start anyway. Depending on the weather. And eventually Crocker Park. Thanks! What area do you live in?
I live in Lake County outside of Mentor.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
But you make the area sound very appealing - I love cinema, especially foreign, independent and old movies. And I love art so looking forward to the museum.
It's tough to beat Cleveland if these are your interests.

Perhaps check out the Cedar-Lee Theatre as well, although I haven't been there since it morphed into 6 screens.

Cedar Lee Theatre launches $1 Family Films with 'The Wizard of Oz' in 3-D | cleveland.com

Old 01-31-2017, 06:25 AM

840 posts, read 758,979 times
Quote:
It's tough to beat Cleveland if these are your interests.

Perhaps check out the Cedar-Lee Theatre as well, although I haven't been there since it morphed into 6 screens.

Cedar Lee Theatre launches $1 Family Films with 'The Wizard of Oz' in 3-D | cleveland.com
I think I'm just having a rough adjustment due to weather and being alone. I don't think I know yet how I like it here since I just got here and haven't seen much yet. All these messages and positive comments are lifelines right now...thanks again.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,145,901 times
The show was very good. 4 actors put on 20ish parts. Hilarious! Wife is a theater junky and loved it! She grew up attending the Globe in San Diego. I walked her through the lobbies on our way out...VERY impressed.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I think I'm just having a rough adjustment due to weather and being alone. I don't think I know yet how I like it here since I just got here and haven't seen much yet. All these messages and positive comments are lifelines right now...thanks again.
It's tough to deal with loneliness, especially when you don't have a permanent home.

It was a talk task moving to Cleveland in the worst part of the year, except for the many Cleveland residents who love to play in snow and ice.

Given your interests, I'm fairly certain your spirits will lift once you check out University Circle.

However, you'll will have to find social groups to join in order to best that loneliness problem.

Again, hang in there and good luck!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,145,901 times
If you take the rail to Little Italy (red line). There is a stop near there or right there where the "University Circle" little white bus picks you up. If I'm not mistaken, it takes you right to the oval where all the museums are. It looks like a 10 min. walk or so otherwise. I have to try this next time. We waited a bit, but had to get back to town. Seems like an easy way. Last time, I got off at University stop and just walked.

Someone can confirm this.

Also, please confirm this: The Healthline Bus... Free or not? Thanks

Old 01-31-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
The show was very good. 4 actors put on 20ish parts. Hilarious! Wife is a theater junky and loved it! She grew up attending the Globe in San Diego. I walked her through the lobbies on our way out...VERY impressed.
Your ongoing efforts to wean your wife away from Santa Barbara, an understandably tough sell given her love of the Pacific Ocean and likely also the more mild climate, is very entertaining! Having visited Santa Barbara a few times and having friends who live in the area, I well understand the considerations.

So PlayhouseSquare may be one of your best levers, as the economics of the move don't seem to fascinate her as much as you!!!

I wonder if she has considered the ability to explore the East from a new and closer base. Also, IMO, the Atlantic Ocean beaches, a day drive from Cleveland, are much more enjoyable than the Pacific Ocean if one actually is interested in going in the water.

Also, during some visit in August, consider renting a boat and heading out on Lake Erie, perhaps at night. It's magical swimming in 75 degree plus fresh water. The next tall ship festival in Cleveland also would show how Cleveland is actually an international port. Fairport Harbor recently was the tall ships destination in Greater Cleveland over the Port of Cleveland.

Harbor Fest Tall Ships Adventures 2017, Fairport Harbor, OH | Ohio. Find it here.

Tall Ships Festival moving from Cleveland to Fairport Harbor due to conflict with Republican National Convention (photos) | cleveland.com

The 2017 event in Fairport Harbor likely is not a Tall Ships Challenge event. When that magnificent event once again returns to the Great Lakes, I would be surprised if Cleveland isn't the port of choice once again in northeast Ohio.

TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE® Great Lakes 2016

Finally, a weekend at Put-in-Bay and Kelleys Island also is something beloved by many Greater Clevelanders. Ditto, Chautauqua in western NY.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
If you take the rail to Little Italy (red line). There is a stop near there or right there where the "University Circle" little white bus picks you up. If I'm not mistaken, it takes you right to the oval where all the museums are. It looks like a 10 min. walk or so otherwise. I have to try this next time. We waited a bit, but had to get back to town. Seems like an easy way. Last time, I got off at University stop and just walked.

Someone can confirm this.

Also, please confirm this: The Healthline Bus... Free or not? Thanks
No, the Healthline bus rapid is not free, although it is a walk-on, walk-off service with fares on an honor system. RTA police, acting like conductors, do check that riders have proper fare receipts or passes. Likely many persons ride the Healthline for free, whether consciously or not given the uniqueness of the fare system (designed to speed service).

http://www.riderta.com/howtoride

The downtown bus trolleys are free, and a visitor to Cleveland, especially in winter, can certainly enjoy those.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...s/Trolleys.pdf

I've never used the free University Circle CircleLink shuttle buses. The walks are so enjoyable and I don't think the CircleLink shuttles run on a very frequent schedule. I wonder if Google Transit comprehends the UC shuttles. I usually park on the street for quick visits for a few dollars, or use the CMA garage, where I get a discount as a member.

Taking the Healthline to UC cuts the walk to the Cleveland Museum of Art and other museums to about five minutes.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...portation.html

Mass transit options for many attractions are discussed in this travel article.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

Old 01-31-2017, 11:06 AM

840 posts, read 758,979 times
Quote:
It's tough to deal with loneliness, especially when you don't have a permanent home.

It was a talk task moving to Cleveland in the worst part of the year, except for the many Cleveland residents who love to play in snow and ice.

Given your interests, I'm fairly certain your spirits will lift once you check out University Circle.

However, you'll will have to find social groups to join in order to best that loneliness problem.

Again, hang in there and good luck!

I wish I could leave and come back in a month or two! I do think the weather is exacerbating feelings of loneliness and feeling I'm in the wrong place. I hope to have better news to report in the not too distant future. Thanks for the good ideas. I made a mistake coming here at this time. Tomorrow I head to the apt. in Cleveland Heights which isn't too far from University Circle so can check out that area in the coming days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland