Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:55 PM

840 posts, read 750,554 times

Advertisements

I will be moving next month and am wondering what might be a good neighborhood for me where I can rent a small apt. for about 600-700/mo. I would like to be in a less urban area but walkable with library, shops etc nearby. I don't need real trendy but don't like totally suburban. I have heard there are some bad areas so I want to avoid those that are unsafe.

Also, I don't have a car and I've been told they are necessary in CLE - true? I'm used to pubic transportation and hope to be able to get around mostly without a car.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 06:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,136,158 times
Welcome! Interesting...I visit a few times per year and always say that if I lived downtown, I'd never own a car...rail and bus!

There are TONS of areas for you to live that are fine.

Members here that actually live in CLE will help more than I can.

There are areas for you, that's for sure.

Where are you coming from? Just curious regarding climate.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 PM

Hi teacherdad...thanks for the reply! I am coming from Seattle WA. I am originally from Massachusetts. I have dealt with severe winters in MA and am kind of sick of the mild rainy weather here. I know Ohio might be a little tough, but I prefer 4 seasons (I think!).

I've never owned a car since I have always lived in cities. I thought CLE looked ok in that regard but someone told me that their public transportation is awful so I'm not sure now. It sounds like you like CLE? Glad to hear that there are lots of areas for me to potentially live in. Are you planning a move to CLE?

Old 12-24-2016, 08:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,204,731 times
Lakewood fits the bill. Look at areas in the northeast corner of the city. Many apartments in a small area, all within walking distance of bus lines and easy access to the rapid transit trains.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Thanks Coco6163...do you live in Ohio (I see Las Vegas on your ID)? Someone was saying how nice Henderson, NV is...and I briefly considered that. Anyway...Lakewood...you think apartments there might be in my price range (600-700)? I will look into it.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,332,881 times
Absolutely Lakewood. I am 70. Two and a half years ago I moved to the Cleveland area and wound up in Cleveland Heights. It's nice but it just wasn't conducive for me to meet people around my age.

So last June I moved to Lakewood. I love it here. I am in a senior housing apartment complex that's income limited for people 62 and over. There's as senior center in the building that goes beyond the usual bingo and canasta, I belong to a play reading group and writing group from the center. The people here are really, really nice.

There is good bus service in Lakewood but that will depend upon where you live. I've never owned a car so I get around fine on public transportation.

I moved from Portland, OR where I had lived for almost 40 years. I'm originally from Chicago. I am so relieved and happy to have gotten out of Portland I can't tell you.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,136,158 times
Lakewood was my first guess so glad a few others agree.

My neighbors live part time in Monroe- up near you in Seattle. My brother lived on Mercer Is for a few years when earning his pilot's license.

Anyway, I'm "stuck" here in Santa Barbara, CA. until my family agrees with my obvious reasoning that CLE would be a great place to live- MetroParks, 4 seasons, sports, theater, and a lot more!

I'll be there Jan. 27 and April 28th- weekend trips. I try to get there 4x per year and do something different each time.

We ride the RTA each time we stay downtown and never had an issue.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,312,156 times
For any apartment that you consider, go to the RTA home page and use Google transit to check out your mass transit options for various destinations.

Here are some threads that may be helpful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-lakewood.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Another option may be apartments north of Lakeshore Blvd. and east of Babbitt Road in Euclid. It's on a good bus route (39 buses), rents should be low, and there is shopping including a Marc's and grocery store within walking distance, plus Shoregate Shopping Center is at the end of the 39 bus route.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default.../30-39-39F.pdf

Sims Park at Lakeshore and Babbitt Road is quite nice.

Euclid has a good public library on East 222nd St.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:52 PM

553 posts, read 1,204,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Thanks Coco6163...do you live in Ohio (I see Las Vegas on your ID)? Someone was saying how nice Henderson, NV is...and I briefly considered that. Anyway...Lakewood...you think apartments there might be in my price range (600-700)? I will look into it.
I grew up in Lakewood. I haven't paid close attention to the rental market there recently, but I watch the sales market casually. Based on sales prices of condos, I am sure a small apartment is available in your price range. Of course, location and condition of building will determine a lot about the size of the apartment for the price.

As for Henderson, parts of it are spectacularly beautiful. It's also one of the safest cities in the U.S. I lived there briefly and loved it. But I would not consider it a public transit friendly city. You really need a car to live there. Also, while parks and walking paths are abundant in Henderson, walking to the library or shopping is generally not so easy (unless you live near The District where you can do your shopping). Nicer places in Henderson are also likely to be a little more expensive than what you would find in Lakewood. In the end, however, comparing Henderson and Lakewood is like considering apples and.....elephants. Nothing alike except for both having very nice places to live.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:08 PM

Seems Lakewood is the consensus. I will have to check it out. I thought I read that it was youngish though...I am sort of trying to get away from neighborhoods that are mostly young.....but perhaps it's a mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Lakewood was my first guess so glad a few others agree.

My neighbors live part time in Monroe- up near you in Seattle. My brother lived on Mercer Is for a few years when earning his pilot's license.

Anyway, I'm "stuck" here in Santa Barbara, CA. until my family agrees with my obvious reasoning that CLE would be a great place to live- MetroParks, 4 seasons, sports, theater, and a lot more!

I'll be there Jan. 27 and April 28th- weekend trips. I try to get there 4x per year and do something different each time.

We ride the RTA each time we stay downtown and never had an issue.

I like Mercer Island. I'm surprised you don't prefer to stay in Santa Barbara...it's so beautiful. Do you really prefer Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Absolutely Lakewood. I am 70. Two and a half years ago I moved to the Cleveland area and wound up in Cleveland Heights. It's nice but it just wasn't conducive for me to meet people around my age.

So last June I moved to Lakewood. I love it here. I am in a senior housing apartment complex that's income limited for people 62 and over. There's as senior center in the building that goes beyond the usual bingo and canasta, I belong to a play reading group and writing group from the center. The people here are really, really nice.

There is good bus service in Lakewood but that will depend upon where you live. I've never owned a car so I get around fine on public transportation.

I moved from Portland, OR where I had lived for almost 40 years. I'm originally from Chicago. I am so relieved and happy to have gotten out of Portland I can't tell you.

Thank you for the info. I am surprised to hear you recommend Lakewood because I read that it was filled with youngish people. Is that true? Your senior housing sounds great - was there a long wait?

I've lived in Portland, OR twice - I used to like it (in the mid 90s) but I am so sick of the whole PNW and want out. I'd be interested to hear why you were glad to be out of Portland if you are happy in CLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
For any apartment that you consider, go to the RTA home page and use Google transit to check out your mass transit options for various destinations.

Here are some threads that may be helpful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-lakewood.html

Another option may be apartments north of Lakeshore Blvd. and east of Babbitt Road in Euclid. It's on a good bus route (39 buses), rents should be low, and there is shopping including a Marc's and grocery store within walking distance, plus Shoregate Shopping Center is at the end of the 39 bus route.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default.../30-39-39F.pdf

Sims Park at Lakeshore and Babbitt Road is quite nice.

Euclid has a good public library on East 222nd St.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Yac; 12-27-2016 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland