Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM

74 posts, read 222,807 times

Advertisements

Hello, my Wife and I are considering moving into new construction right near the Zoo. We drove the neighborhood and it seems like a transitional area, which is what we expected. We both enjoy city living and this is a much more affordable area for what we want in a home compared to Tremont or Ohio City. We are both life long Clevelanders and currently live in the Kamms area. Unfortunately we have realized we will outgrow our Cape Cod and really want something new with a more open floor plan.

We really had never given much thought to Old Brooklyn until we saw this opportunity. Anyone here live in Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre that can give us some opinion or information on the area? Seems pretty safe, looks like there is some effort to spruce up Pearl rd... I read the schools are pretty decent?

Just looking for some general feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:15 PM

816 posts, read 1,385,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmesh View Post
Hello, my Wife and I are considering moving into new construction right near the Zoo. We drove the neighborhood and it seems like a transitional area, which is what we expected. We both enjoy city living and this is a much more affordable area for what we want in a home compared to Tremont or Ohio City. We are both life long Clevelanders and currently live in the Kamms area. Unfortunately we have realized we will outgrow our Cape Cod and really want something new with a more open floor plan.

We really had never given much thought to Old Brooklyn until we saw this opportunity. Anyone here live in Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre that can give us some opinion or information on the area? Seems pretty safe, looks like there is some effort to spruce up Pearl rd... I read the schools are pretty decent?

Just looking for some general feedback. Thanks!
"By the zoo" could either mean the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood or Old Brooklyn. I have lived in both areas. Brooklyn Centre is the hood. I had a horrible experience living there. It is high crime and there is some blight/trash throughout. Overall, it is very iffy. There are some nicer areas with very beautiful old victorian homes (mainly along Archwood). I personally probably wouldn't live there again, but if you do, your experience may differ depending on which street and even which part of the street you're on.

Old Brooklyn is a better area, but still has it's iffy spots. Generally speaking, the closer to the zoo you are in Old Brooklyn, the rougher it is. When I lived there, my street had issues. There were a few houses in my area that had some thugs/hoodlums which kinda ruined the area for me. Old Brooklyn overall is safer and is more stable in terms of housing compared to it's neighbor Brooklyn Centre. There is also TONS of potential in the neighborhood in terms of retail. There are many vacant storefronts along Pearl, State, and Broadview.

I really truly do love both neighborhoods though. They both are in fantastic locations as they are within very short distance to every major freeway. And of course they are both near the zoo and the metroparks. Brooklyn centre has beautiful old houses with tons of character. If somehow the city and the residents can band together to fight the crime and blight, that could be the turning point for that neighborhood to start gaining some traction again. And I'm hoping people can take advantage of the plethora of nice, old storefronts in Old Brooklyn and help that neighborhood become more vibrant.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 PM

378 posts, read 337,352 times
Brooklyn Centre falls under the Metro West CDC which is a branch office of the Detroit-Shoreway CDC. DSCDO is pretty effective and there's a concerted effort to focus on the Metro West service area. So I think the future holds a lot of potential.

As the poster above said, the area around Archwood is great. Overall, I've always liked the entire area when I've been there.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Just for clarification, the area we are looking is just South of the zoo, across the bridge near the Broadview intersection. The back of the property actually overlooks the zoo.

There were a lot of younger kids out in the neighborhood which I took to be a good sign, and it does look like there is a concerted effort to improve Pearl Rd.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM

If I had to guess, you're looking at one of those two Knez infill constructions that are listed.

I really like areas like this where the roads dead-end near parks and form little enclaves. They're still relatively urban but provide a unique type of neighborhood.

In terms of neighborhood stability, I don't see a lot of abandonment and resulting blight, so it seems likely that this area will not experience a decline (barring an event like another market collapse). I purchased a vacant house in Cudell which is a neighborhood with a level of poverty, population density, and geographic proximity to downtown that are all comparable to Brooklyn Centre. I've been very happy. I think a lot of these less-noted west side neighborhoods have a ton to offer and are not nearly as terrifying as a lot of people believe. The fact Knez has purchased lots in Brooklyn Centre is evidence that the area is clearly changing more rapidly than Cudell. Once you start seeing this type of developer interest it's safe to assume that the neighborhood has already moved past the first phase of gentrification.

If you like the area and would feel comfortable living there, I would say it's a worthwhile move. I can't speak much in terms of schools, but I have also heard that the schools in this area are decent.

Clark-Fulton is also on a fast track to becoming a much more well-known neighborhood with all of the work they're doing to grow La Villa Hispana, so you could soon have another destination next door.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
If I had to guess, you're looking at one of those two Knez infill constructions that are listed.

I really like areas like this where the roads dead-end near parks and form little enclaves. They're still relatively urban but provide a unique type of neighborhood.

In terms of neighborhood stability, I don't see a lot of abandonment and resulting blight, so it seems likely that this area will not experience a decline (barring an event like another market collapse). I purchased a vacant house in Cudell which is a neighborhood with a level of poverty, population density, and geographic proximity to downtown that are all comparable to Brooklyn Centre. I've been very happy. I think a lot of these less-noted west side neighborhoods have a ton to offer and are not nearly as terrifying as a lot of people believe. The fact Knez has purchased lots in Brooklyn Centre is evidence that the area is clearly changing more rapidly than Cudell. Once you start seeing this type of developer interest it's safe to assume that the neighborhood has already moved past the first phase of gentrification.

If you like the area and would feel comfortable living there, I would say it's a worthwhile move. I can't speak much in terms of schools, but I have also heard that the schools in this area are decent.

Clark-Fulton is also on a fast track to becoming a much more well-known neighborhood with all of the work they're doing to grow La Villa Hispana, so you could soon have another destination next door.

Yep, you nailed it.. those are the two lots we are looking at. There was a mix of slightly run-down to renovated, so it feels like it's on the cusp. The same house in Ohio City is 40K more, and 50K more in Tremont. The value seems pretty good to be an early adopter in a neighborhood that should have some potential. I'd have to think that proximity to one of the city's better assets in the Zoo is an indicator that the neighborhood should have a future.

We have also read nothing but good things about Knez.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM

816 posts, read 1,385,099 times
Quote:

I also really like those little pockets tucked back by parks or what not. I'm actually looking into buying this vacant duplex over in that same area where Broadview dead ends into the cemetery. The portion of Brookln Centre south of Denison also has a few little pockets like that, although those areas have a bit more blight; still very interesting though.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:51 PM

194 posts, read 189,641 times
Here's a promo video of Old Brooklyn: https://www.youtube.com/embed/C0WfZX...i=1&autoplay=1

Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 AM

194 posts, read 189,641 times
Quote:

According to crime maps, crime has risen in the area just south of the intersection between Pearl and Broadview. Does anyone know what's the story?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
According to crime maps, crime has risen in the area just south of the intersection between Pearl and Broadview. Does anyone know what's the story?
I haven't seen the maps, but do they break down the type of crime? I think statistically this is still one of the "safest" neighborhoods.

I know a surge in crime is generally associated with gentrifying neighborhoods that have hit the sort of "middle" stage of gentrifying. Generally it's property crime (bike thefts, car break-ins, tire thefts, etc.) but there are also some robberies. You're seeing this stuff happening right now in Detroit-Shoreway, specifically in the Edgewater Hill / Battery Park areas north of Gordon Square where a high concentration of wealth has developed pretty rapidly. The crime trends can be exacerbated or mitigated depending on how the neighborhood develops (integrating new wealth and engaging existing residents vs concentrating new wealth and alienating or displacing existing residents).

So I can't speak exactly to the area you're referring, but it could have something to do with a socioeconomic shift in the area. It could also just be part of a larger crime trend on the west side. I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone in law enforcement about this, but it seems that crime patterns are very nebulous right now as so many neighborhoods are changing. I'm hoping the smaller-scale investment in places like lower Detroit-Shoreway (Colgate Avenue, for example) and socially-focused improvements in Clark-Fulton are able to drum up more neighborhood investment without raising as many class conflict issues as the development in upper Detroit-Shoreway/Gordon Square. A positive outcome would also benefit Old Brooklyn since they're neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland