U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 AM

6,994 posts, read 4,063,790 times

Advertisements

The Cleveland Orchestra's centennial season will feature programming certain to delight class music lovers:

Cleveland Orchestra unveils ambitious plans for 2017-18 centennial season (photos) | cleveland.com

Cleveland Orchestra's centennial lineup contains both high points and weak spots (analysis) | cleveland.com

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/N...ason-schedule/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:11 AM

178 posts, read 154,368 times
It's good to see some interesting variety mixed in with the typical fire-hose of Mozart and Beethoven. Hopefully there will be no riots during Rite of Spring. Maybe I'll spring for some tickets this year. For budget-conscious folks who want to see an excellent orchestra perform, check out the CIM orchestra, including several yearly concerts at Severance.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Default New Cleveland Orchestra assistant director named

<< The Cleveland Orchestra announced today the appointment of Vinay Parameswaran as Assistant Conductor of The Cleveland Orchestra and Music Director of the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra.>>

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/N...-parameswaran/

Parameswaran will replace Brett Mitchell, who has been appointed the new music director of the Colorado Symphony.

Cleveland Orchestra associate conductor Brett Mitchell scores top post at Colorado Symphony | cleveland.com

Persons wishing to see Severance Hall and enjoy very good classical music certainly should not pass up an opportunity to hear the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra.

Read, and hear, Brett Mitchell's praise for the COYO in this Ideastream interview.

<<But arguably his most important role during this time has been as mentor to student musicians. "Ninety-five percent of cities in this country would kill to have a professional orchestra that plays as well as COYO. They blow me away every single weekend. It's very inspiring to me as now somebody who can be a mentor to them," Mitchell said.

COYO manager Lauren Generette says Mitchell is an inspiration to the young musicians.
"They often jot down quotes during rehearsal of things they want to remember. He does make it fun and memorable for them at the same time I think," Generette said.>>

Brett Mitchell Set to Leave Cleveland Orchestra for Denver | 90.3 WCPN ideastream

Feature: "Brett Mitchell set to leave Cleveland Orchestra for Denver"

Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Here's a nice review in the Times of what was, by all account, a fascinating, innovative, and mesmerizing performance of Debussy's opera:

Review: Debussy’s ‘Pelléas,’ but This Time All Boxed In

From my soapbox:
It's sad that more NEOhians don't realize what a world-class orchestral music scene we have in Cleveland.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,513,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
From my soapbox:
It's sad that more NEOhi[o]ans don't realize what a world-class orchestral music scene we have in Cleveland.
I doubt there are many NE Ohioans who "don't realize" it... it's more likely that they're just not into it.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:27 PM

I would have to disagree ... I'm not sure how you would realize it if you are not "into it" ... there certainly is virtually no media coverage of the arts in any widely-consumed NEO media outlets. I understand that more people care about the basketballs bouncing that the arts - that's a reality that is neither objectively good nor bad.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
I would have to disagree ... I'm not sure how you would realize it if you are not "into it" ... there certainly is virtually no media coverage of the arts in any widely-consumed NEO media outlets.
The art museums, Cleveland Orchestra and the theater are well covered at cleveland.com.

The WVIZ "Applause" program, and especially the Applause programs on WCLE, offer much information for those interested in the Cleveland arts.

ideastream Programs | 90.3 WCPN ideastream

Cleveland Scene also well covers the arts.

Cleveland Scene

The Donovan Live WKYC TV show at 7 p.m. on weekdays often has segments on the arts, especially Broadway national tours at PlayhouseSquare from memory.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 PM

Default At the Movies -- West Side Story

Leonard Bernstein's famous "West Side Story" score will be showcased starting this Thursday with four performances at Severance Hall with a Cleveland Orchestra live performance accompanying a re-mastered HD version of the movie providing the original vocals and dialogs.

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/1...certs/week-23/

The 3-hour live performance actually will be a great challenge, and a memorable event for fans of Broadway musical films:

<<
It's a good thing he's prepared. Performing "West Side Story" this way, live and in sync with the film, is a task far more complicated than it would be with many other films, or conducting a traditional performance in concert or as part of a theater production.

The challenge, in this case, is the film itself. Long before anyone could have dreamed of an orchestra performing the film score live, the editors of "West Side Story" spliced together tidbits from any number of recorded takes, all of which differ slightly in terms of tempo.

Following along, therefore, becomes something of a "high-wire act," Mitchell explained. "You've got to hit every single one of those transitions live. You really don't have any choice...."

Mitchell therefore knows of what he speaks when he predicts that this account of "West Side Story," his last scheduled appearance as a member of the Cleveland Orchestra, will be unlike any other he's seen or been a part of.
"This is a really special way to experience 'West Side Story,' " Mitchell said. "When you get to hear this score with this orchestra, it's really going to highlight Bernstein's music in a way other versions simply cannot do."
>>

Cleveland Orchestra bidding farewell to conductor Brett Mitchell with 'West Side Story' film (preview) | cleveland.com

Old 05-29-2017, 11:52 PM

Default Free tours of Severance Hall June 4

Free tours of Severance Hall will be offered on Sunday, June 4.

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/calendar/index.aspx

Old 05-30-2017, 05:37 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,289,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I doubt there are many NE Ohioans who "don't realize" it... it's more likely that they're just not into it.
It's sad if, in fact, it's more likely that they're just not into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland