Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times

Advertisements

That's what i was saying. The warehouse district NEVER looked good. The city should focus on some improvements to that corrior.

And as far as the flats? 10 years ago, that was the place to be. Now? It's a crime riddled dump. Just about once a week I see a news story about someone getting murdered outside a club, or car jackings, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
The list of good things about Cleveland is a lot, lot longer than the list of bad things as you can see on earlier posts. The only bad things are: the weather is bad for 3 or 4 months, and the economy. Most of the other bad things only have to do with the city of Cleveland and East Cleveland (poverty, crime, decay, unemployment). So when you really look at it Cleveland is one of the best and most livable cities in the country. Also unlike most of the cities in the west and southwest, we actually have a history and character as a city.

Like I said all we need is more jobs and to change the attitude and Cleveland will be even greater than it is right now.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Wildcat View Post
This has been a very encouraging post to read. My family and I will be relocating this spring due to my wifes job (healthcare). I knew nothing about Cleveland and have no association with the city. As I researched, it appeared that there was a lot to do with low cost of living. Being an outsider looking in, Cleveland looked like a fun place to live. I was surprised to see so many negative comments, that it became deflating. This thread supports what I have observed from an outsider looking in. Where else can you have so much to do, with so little cost of living?
That's great to read!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
That's what i was saying. The warehouse district NEVER looked good. The city should focus on some improvements to that corrior.

And as far as the flats? 10 years ago, that was the place to be. Now? It's a crime riddled dump. Just about once a week I see a news story about someone getting murdered outside a club, or car jackings, etc.
You're really drawing me off topic, but I don't understand how you can say this. Are we talking about the same Warehouse District? W.6th and W.9th?? My only complaints are the parking lots--and Robert Stark who did Crocker Park and Eton is already planning to begin filling them in by 2009-2010.

Seriously though, off the top of my head these two streets have:

Restuarants:
Metropolitian Cafe, Chophouse and Brewery, Blue Pointe, Sushi Rock, Brasa Brailian Steakhouse, Crop Bistro (amazing!), Johnny's Downtown, Waterstreet Grill, Nauti Mermaid, 6th St. Pizzaria, XO Prime Steakhouse, Jac's, Osteria, Mallorca

Bars: Tequilla Ranch, Panini's, Map Room, House of Cues, Blind Pig, Little Bar!, D'vine Wine Bar, Sunset Lounge, Mercury Lounge, Dive Bar

Clubs: Traffic, Liquid, Bar Flyy, SpyBar (blah!), Fusion, Sinergy, Anatomy?

Aparments/Condos: Bridgview, Grand Arcade, PINNACLE, Cloak Factory, Perry Payne, Hat Factory, National Terminal, Lakeside Apartments, Bradley Building....and others

Other: Rockefeller Barber, Constantino's Marketplace, Starbucks, Capitol Clothing, Surroundings Home Decor, a beauty place, another clothing store, and all the offices (RTA headquarters, Stark Enterprises, etc.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I'm assuming you mean the East bank of the Flats, since the west bank has been filled in with condos/apartments, restaurants, and cafes. Since about 2002-2003, the east bank has slowly been allowed to continue to fall (seemingly almost encouraged) for the complete redevelopment of Cleveland's oldest neighborhood--new roads/sewers/ everything. Since I see you don't follow any links I post, there are only a few building left that need leveled (if you've been down there in the part 2-3 years, you'd see that about 80% of the buildings have been razed, which I'll admit looks extremely crappy right now). It's something us Clevelanders have to bare until hopefully the end of this year when Wolstein starts his $300 milllion construction. (Hundreds of apartment units/offices, grocery store, movie theater, Bernie Kosar Steakhouse, Eaton Corp Headquarters, river boardwalk, etc.)

And lastly, don't lie. I now the media loved to report murders, but I challenge you to find 3 in the last 12 months that happened in the flats--I personally can only think of one. Cars stolen? Yes that happens, just like any metro area (columbus had more than Cleveland last year for example), but not to the frequncy you just described.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 03-09-2008 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
The Warehouse District is amazing with great restaurants, many cities wish they could have that. The Flats is on the rebound, and quicky. 12 new phases of condo midrises are underway.

Cleveland is a great city with character many other cities wish they could have like many others stated.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
i believe cleveland is quietly transforming also. i am in the building trades and get to personally help build some of these projects (currently cleve.clinic heart center/glickman tower). i would love to see all these projects completed. lets keep pushing for wind energy, bio-med techs, and promote our fresh water.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Have they done anything with the area around Division Rd. and W 25th st.? I remember they used to have pretty bad projects/apartments over there, but its so close to downtown and the flats I figured they would have done something with it by now. That is one of the few areas of Cleveland that I havent seen in years, or when I was going by it I can never remember to get off and check it out.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Have they done anything with the area around Division Rd. and W 25th st.? I remember they used to have pretty bad projects/apartments over there, but its so close to downtown and the flats I figured they would have done something with it by now. That is one of the few areas of Cleveland that I havent seen in years, or when I was going by it I can never remember to get off and check it out.
I was just back in Cleveland in November and I was over on the near Westside.And I saw alot of apartment complexes when I was close to W. 25th street.They did look like project buildings too.Then I went down by the East Bank of the Flats,and mostly all that was there was boarded up buildings that are going to be torn down.I think they are very focused on making the near Westside a huge hotspot in Cleveland.I mean it already is a big hotspot in Cleveland,but I think they could make it even better.They always build condos over in that area.And there is a ton of nightlife in that area.constello_musicman listed a bunch names of Clubs,Bars,and Resturants in the Warehouse District.Give it a couple years and this already vibrant part of Cleveland will be even better.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,941 times
Off topic from the Flats, but would it not make sense for the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies to be held here at the Hall of Fame, and not in NYC.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
Many of Cleveland's problems are national urban problems, such as education, crime and service employment. But Cleveland hasn't done itself any favors or dodged any bullets by....

1.Capitalizing the job opportunities and industries that a major lake brings. Chicago does it.
2.Being willing to change the city's identity. Cleveland wants to be known as a factory town, and that industry is dead. The appeal of that style of city is dead.
3.Concentrating on decentralizing the city's worst poverty from the eastside. It's de facto segregation.
4.Improving public transportation. Clevelanders will dispute me on this, but I don't think Cleveland's transit is nearly as good or as used as some may suggest.
5.Expanding social services.
6.Spreading some of the investment away from downtown and into the neighborhoods. Downtown will not save you. Ever.

Cle440,

Lebron is going to New York, btw.
1.The Yankee hat
2.The Yankee shoe (only released on the east coast?!?)
3.The ongoing whining with the front office and punking of their man Mike Brown
4.The fame and willingness to pull off deals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland