Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM

79 posts, read 260,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
4.Improving public transportation. Clevelanders will dispute me on this, but I don't think Cleveland's transit is nearly as good or as used as some may suggest.
I dispute you. LOL

Okay, when I lived in Cleveland in 97/98, I rode the bus/rail system. There were many times when a bus would drive right by you with the front saying "FULL" on it. There were times when the bus was standing room only. If that isn't being used, then I don't know what it. (I lived on the Detroit bus route at Detroit & W.65th Street) The buses ran (on main roads every 5 minutes) on other roads still as frequent as 15 minutes apart. Same for the rail. They ran till late into the night and started early in the morning, on some routes running 24/7.

I guess living in Ashtabula has set my standard a little off. Cause in Ashtabula, we have what they call a bus system, the bus (I think maybe 3 of them) only runs once and hour and from 7 AM to 5 PM and not on Sundays. How the heck does anyone get anything done here. Me, If I ever moved back to Cleveland I would ride the bus. Cheaper then owning a car for gas, insurance and maintenance. Hubby doesn't agree and would want to keep the car though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
numan- i cut thru central sometimes on my way to the clinic. if the central development is your idea of good urban development then i hope they win no more bids. to me its bland housing,and no busines/stores to speak of for the new residents. START with euclid ave. build mid-rise and high -rise buildings (5-25 stories) on every vacant lot from downtown to university circle. build right to the curb. stores/shops /clubs at street level, apartments/condos on upper floors with roof top patios and green space on the roofs for the nieghbors.continue to renivate exsisting buildings. in essence a connecting skyline for that new rapid/bus health-line. keep moving forward with current plans elsewhere (wolstein,stark,etc). ALSO, alot of folks mention crime,schools, poverty. im sorry if this part of my post sounds un-caring but,, the blacks , whites and others need to fix the problems THEY created in THEIR nieghborhoods. until people start having planned families, until people start insisting their kids finish school and get educations/trades,, nothing will change for them. it is .what it is. in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
im on a rant now ! lol posters mentioned taxes in above post. i for one believe we need a tax revolution. ask your local city or school board for a dime by dime accounting of exactly how they spend our tax dollars now and they cannot provide it ! i challenge anyone to try ! they have enough it just needs to be directed for the uses mentioned above in a more responsible/directed way... ALSO, slowly reduced "handouts" , we as a society enable people to be lazy (in my opinion). recruit new business by offering low cost energy from our natural resources (fresh water,gas,wind). the rest of the world would die to have what we have ! i will save the 500 windmill and natural gas farms on lake erie for another post.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
I just wanted to say, I love these positive threads on Cleveland.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Relating to this thread in regards to job market--two more Tech companies are moving into Cleveland midtown this year. They're be adding a combined 46 well paying news jobs with more hirings planned for next year. One from out of town, one from the burbs:

IT company plans to hire 100 in Cleveland - Cleveland Business News – The Latest Breaking News, Earnings Reports and Stories from The Plain Dealer

Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Its good to hear some more positive news about Cleveland. I also heard that the National City Building is getting some attention, from fifth-third and others. Its sad that it had to close though.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 PM

^^ National City isn't closed. They're in finanical trouble due primarily to the morgage sector (at least that's the word). Worst case scenario, they have to sell to another bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/bu...ional-web.html

If they do sell, the only way jobs are lost if they would sell to Key or Fifth Third (a "merger" and many jobs would be cut). If a bank somewhere else in the US would buy it, it could go either way with keeping everyone here or job loss. But lastly, if a bank outside the US would buy, jobs would mostly like not be effected since they'd want to keep the customer base of the investment. NC hasn't declared if they're going to sell yet, but only that it is an option--Fingers crossed they can figure something out.

Don't forget, the media loves reporting on stories like this, and they jump on any bit of new names involved or theory they hear to sell papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland