Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 39,246 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cleveland this summer. We have an 11 year old daughter and we are Jewish. I am thinking Shaker Heights would be a good place to look, but are there specific areas of Shaker Heights that I should focus on, or specific places to avoid? Do a lot of the kids there go to private schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 42,863 times
My girlfriends family is Jewish and live around the Shaker and Cleveland Hieghts area. They seem to like it a lot and think the school systems are great.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM

124 posts, read 711,346 times
Well, I'm snowed in and bored so I'll give what information I can.

First of all, check out the maps at City of Shaker Heights - Maps (http://www.shakeronline.com/maps/ - broken link) and the neighborhoods page at City of Shaker Heights - Shaker Neighborhoods (http://www.shakeronline.com/relocation/buying/ShakerNeighborhoods.asp - broken link) to get an idea of the neighborhoods.

Second of all, I hate to poop on anyone's neighborhood so forgive me (and correct me) if I'm wrong about what any of these areas are like. I've not lived in Shaker that long and I don't know all of the neighborhoods all that well.

The areas I would avoid are the Ludlow and Moreland neighborhoods. I would also avoid buying a house in the north-western most region of the Boulevard neighborhood (this is more of a rental/business area). Some of the homes in Ludlow are actually very nice but the nearby area of Cleveland is not nice.
I'm not real sure about the Lomond and Sussex neighborhoods but, while I would proceed with caution, I don't think I would flat-out avoid these areas. I've got a co-worker who lives down there and when I visited them, I thought their road looked like a nice young family-type area but it might vary from street to street. I would not want to be too close to Chagrin Blvd though.

Onaway and the south-west corner of Boulevard look like nice reasonably priced areas with some pretty good architecture (albiet on small lots). I don't know much at all about the Fernway neighborhood. I imagine you might want to avoid being too close to Van Aken Blvd if possible (I would not buy anything directly on Van Aken even though there are some nice homes practically being given away right now).

The Boulevard neighborhood east of Coventry and the Malvern neighborhood are very nice areas with fantastic architecture. The properties north of Shaker Blvd tend to have more land than those south of the Blvd but there are exceptions. The only area I'd 'avoid' in Malvern would be Fairmount Blvd just because it sees more through traffic than most of the other streets (I guess I'd avoid Shaker and Woodland for the same reason).

Mercer tends to be a bit more of a mix. I find the architecture in this area to be weaker on the whole than in Boulevard or Malvern. Mercer south of Shaker Blvd seems like a fairly affordable area. Some of the homes here appear to be from the 50's or maybe 60's and lack the charm of the older homes in other areas of Shaker. I don't know much about Mercer north of Shaker Blvd since I rarely ever venture through there (and I get lost when I try; very confusing streets there). From what I've seen while driving along west-bound Shaker blvd, the architecture in the northern half of Mercer is better than the southern half. The only areas I might avoid in Mercer would be Fairmount, Shaker and Woodland Blvds since these roads are a bit busy at times (also Warrensville Center and Green Rds).

We live in Malvern and love it (well, we would like a larger yard but otherwise we love it). The neighborhood to focus on will largely depend on your budget.

Two of our nearby neighbors send their kids to private schools but I believe the parents are alumni of the same private schools so I don't think they even considered the public system. We don't have any kids just yet so we're still trying to figure out what our plan will be when the time comes to decide on a school but we'd prefer to use the public schools.

Last edited by Steve36; 03-07-2008 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 01:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,879,959 times
Like I always say on here. If you are looking for a nice neighborhood in any of the inner ring suburbs the farther away you are from Cleveland/East Cleveland, the better. The neighborhoods closer to Cleveland seem to always have more crime and poverty. Most of Shaker Heights will be okay, theres nothing really bad going on there. The best thing to do is to look at a neighborhood and you will usually be able to tell if its nice or not. Also check around a 5 block radius of the area you are looking at and look at those neighborhoods too, if those are okay than it should be a nice place.

Also East Cleveland is not a suburb (if you consider Camden, NJ and E STL a suburb, than I guess it is though) so that doesnt count, the whole city is pretty bad. I wish I could tell people that its great in Cleveland and East Cleveland but I would be lying right now. Just try to stay farther away from Cleveland.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 89,673 times
shaker has nice houses... yes i recommend private school system if you can afford them. Schools close would be hawken and gilmore, all girls-laurel and hathway brown and all guys would be university school. If you want a public school that has a good jewish population beachwood and orange would be your best bet.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM

570 posts, read 1,815,975 times
Cleveland Heights also has a high Jewish population around the South Taylor area.
Areas I always avoid is Chagrin closer to Lee Rd and further down going towards the Cleveland border. Better yet, any area of Shaker that is close to the Cleveland Border. For private schools, I have a friend that graduated from Laurel and said she loved it, but she graduated about 10 years ago. Not sure how the school is now. Also I would suggest the Fernway and Mercer neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Shaker Heights

Thanks, everyone, for the detailed replies. I guess there is a reason so many lovely homes in Shaker Heights are bargains now.

Another friend of a friend told me to look at Beachwood and Solon. Solon seems too far away for a daily commute, though.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfoundthisboard View Post
Solon seems too far away for a daily commute, though.
Where are you commuting too?

Solon was again ranked as the best suburb in the Cleveland area. It's public school system is one of the best in NE OH.

Beachwood has a very strong Jewish presence if you are looking for that.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM

75 posts, read 384,917 times
My wife grew up in Mercer on South Woodland Road and Green Road. It is a really nice area and the grid pattern is very interested. The houses are not as, wow as other parts, but back in the 60's and 70's everyone wanted to live in Mercer because the houses were newer and everything was perfect. Homes in Mercer are still at the high-end of the price spectrum in Shaker Heights.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM

I have to go downtown every day - Euclid Avenue. Solon is more than 20 miles away, so I'm concerned it would be a bit too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland