Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times

Advertisements

Just curious I know I'm late, but just curious why they banned Cleveland threads there.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
A combination of a few users who have irrational hatred for Cleveland (including a particular moderator) coupled with inability to let some dumb things go. Overall though, I'm not sure why Cleveland gets singled out. I think for a while one user kept posting Cleveland vs ________ threads and it got a little ridiculous, so I think that just annoyed everyone. Don't quite remember. That forum is in general awful.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM

378 posts, read 341,578 times
Looks like they never specified which Cleveland.

If you want to go learn how Cleveland, TN stacks up then I encourage you to make your curiosities known!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:42 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
In October 2016 there were like 4 or 5 threads with Cleveland vs someone else. I remember a couple posters from New Orleans and Louisville being particularly annoying.

To be fair, we don't need so many Cleveland threads.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
When use the title of anything v anything forum you're always going to get fighting and arguments "My city's better than your city" and stuff like that. I have always thought this was a dumb idea on the part of CD.

Why not just call it "Cities Forum" and leave it at that.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:37 PM

840 posts, read 759,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When use the title of anything v anything forum you're always going to get fighting and arguments "My city's better than your city" and stuff like that. I have always thought this was a dumb idea on the part of CD.

Why not just call it "Cities Forum" and leave it at that.
I wish it could just be comparing and contrasting cities without residents getting defensive. Too much to ask I guess.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:20 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
What I've learned is that Cleveland remains a national whipping boy, and there is little tolerance about any positive comparisons about anything in Cleveland, even when substantiated by factual comparisons and linked information and reviews.

Read through this closed thread, if you're familiar with both Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...sburgh-23.html

The very last post is instructive (number 226), as it implies that there is no downhill skiing, kayaking or rock climbing in Greater Cleveland. All inaccurate. Cleveland's many marinas and Lake Erie boating culture are completely dismissed by the poster. The poster doesn't understand that Cuyahoga County residents pay a meaningful property tax (over $90 for a $100,000 home) to support the famed Cleveland Metroparks, and that there are no state parks in Cuyahoga County (the current Republican administration in Ohio refused to fund them adequately and they were turned over to the Cleveland Metroparks a few years ago), even though Cuyahoga County has over 10 percent of the state's population.

Cleveland Metroparks system named best in the nation (videos) | cleveland.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

Greater Cleveland has good river kayaking, some times very treacherous, and even Lake Erie kayaking. Visitors can rent kayaks in downtown Cleveland and explore Cleveland's harbor, sometimes among large lake freighters.

Anybody who claims that boating on Lake Erie is comparable to boating in Greater Pittsburgh is simply ignorant in the minds of Greater Clevelanders. Are we to be vilified for expressing that opinion? E.g., many of us know persons with small boats or jet skis who regularly launch from the many Lake Erie public docks, as well as those with larger boats who like to visit the Lake Erie islands or Cedar Point from Cleveland.

Boating & Dockage – Put-in-Bay Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau

https://www.cedarpoint.com/stay/marinas

Reflective of its substantial boating culture, Cleveland hosts one of the nation's largest boating shows.

Top 15 Boat Shows in the USA

You would never know from that post that both hunting and fishing (Lake Erie and its tributaries) are options in Greater Cleveland, even in Cuyahoga County, unlike in many U.S. metropolitan areas.

Ohio deer hunting seasons revamped to stabilize herd -- Outdoors Notes | cleveland.com

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/ohsu/ohsug84003.pdf

Cleveland even has head boats.

Lake Erie Walleye Fishing Charters, Perch Walk On Head Boats, Wildwood Marina, Cleveland, Ohio

Deer populations are so plentiful that culling is necessary.

Issue of bow-hunting deer passed by voters in 6 Northeast Ohio communities | fox8.com

Over 8,500 deer were harvested this past season from Greater Cleveland's five counties.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/portals/...eerharvest.pdf

https://eviljwinter.files.wordpress....e_memorial.jpg

And Lake Erie has ferries and cruise ships, including the Goodtime III that operates from downtown Cleveland.

https://goodtimeiii.com/site/group-sales-information

And nobody who has driven through Geauga County in Greater Cleveland would call it "flat."

Yet the thread was cut off before we could respond. So, the last word in this Pittsburgh/Cleveland "debate" was a decidedly ignorant post about Cleveland IMO. And we're the transgressors in such discussions???

Old 04-29-2017, 03:01 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufflesmcfacehair View Post
Cleveland really has a far higher amount of negatives than positives, sorry.
A typical, unsubstantiated comment that characterizes the many posts in any city vs. city thread that involved Cleveland. Thanks for proving my point.

And I noticed that you didn't refute any of the points that I made in my post 7. Were any of my comments inaccurate?

Old 04-29-2017, 03:49 PM

474 posts, read 840,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
A typical, unsubstantiated comment that characterizes the many posts in any city vs. city thread that involved Cleveland. Thanks for proving my point.

And I noticed that you didn't refute any of the points that I made in my post 7. Were any of my comments inaccurate?
Don't pay any attention to that alias, he's just trying to provoke you. He obviously didn't have anything to say of any substance.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Don't pay any attention to that alias, he's just trying to provoke you. He obviously didn't have anything to say of any substance.
Probably trying to bring what was banned from the city v city forum over here. He's doing the same on the Portland forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland