Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM

171 posts, read 148,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I have read on some posts, here and other sites, in the past where some people have said that Cleveland has too much of a "us vs. them" mentality. They also felt that Clevelanders can be too defensive and not welcome insiders. So, is it true what they say or is it all blown out of proposition? Why or why not?

I think a lot of Midwestern cities have a defensive posture, and there are two reasons for this:

#1. The economy has been terrible, especially compared to the Coasts

#2. Even before the economy went downhill, people on the Coasts have always looked down on the Midwest. Why, I can't figure out. Cleveland has cultural amenities that are competitive with many larger cities, and there are many parts of the Midwest that are spectacularly beautiful (and a lot less crowded!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
I think a lot of Midwestern cities have a defensive posture, and there are two reasons for this:

#1. The economy has been terrible, especially compared to the Coasts

#2. Even before the economy went downhill, people on the Coasts have always looked down on the Midwest. Why, I can't figure out. Cleveland has cultural amenities that are competitive with many larger cities, and there are many parts of the Midwest that are spectacularly beautiful (and a lot less crowded!).
When I was living in that region I found many people to be ignorant of anything but their little worlds. So many people I met would knock the Midwest and Great Lakes Region without ever knowing anything about them least of all ever having traveled there to see for themselves.

If this part of the country has an inferiority complex, they have a superiority complex.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I was living in that region I found many people to be ignorant of anything but their little worlds. So many people I met would knock the Midwest and Great Lakes Region without ever knowing anything about them least of all ever having traveled there to see for themselves.

If this part of the country has an inferiority complex, they have a superiority complex.
Actual conversation while visiting D.C. between me and a girl who lives in Northern VA

-Her: so where are you from?

-Me: Originally New Jersey but I've lived in Columbus for about five years.

-Her: Oh my god. How do you live there? I could never survive in Ohio, that sounds terrible.

That fact that she was completely unaware how this was in poor form since we literally just met made the entire situation more laughable.

Honestly the joke is on most coastal people. My friend who lives in New Jersey but works in NYC pays 500 a month just to commute to work on the train.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:59 AM

171 posts, read 148,943 times
I would have been interested in knowing her reasons for why she thought Ohio was such a horrible place to live.

BTW, I've lived in Columbus, New Jersey, and the greater-D.C. area, and we are planning to retire in Ohio. That's why I am genuinely puzzled.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Actual conversation while visiting D.C. between me and a girl who lives in Northern VA

-Her: Oh my god. How do you live there? I could never survive in Ohio, that sounds terrible.

That fact that she was completely unaware how this was in poor form since we literally just met made the entire situation more laughable.

Honestly the joke is on most coastal people. My friend who lives in New Jersey but works in NYC pays 500 a month just to commute to work on the train.
Yes, she would be a good example of one of the ignorant people to which I was referring in my previous post. This is someone who just thinks it's okay to throw out insults because she thinks something she has read about but not actually experienced herself is common knowledge.

I would have had some choice words for her.

Quote:
I would have been interested in knowing her reasons for why she thought Ohio was such a horrible place to live.

BTW, I've lived in Columbus, New Jersey, and the greater-D.C. area, and we are planning to retire in Ohio. That's why I am genuinely puzzled.
I would have asked her that question. I've actually been in this situation and asked it. Nine times out of ten people can only quote hearsay.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:

It's accepted on the coast to instantly demean people from places they think are low class or boring. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you, but just shows how truly ignorant, provincial and close minded the coasts actually are.

I have to say, it's not uncommon and it does annoy me a lot. I don't know- have you EVER heard someone from anywhere in Ohio say something like "oh you live in Philly/Boston/DC/NYC?? How can you possibly do that??" As a result from my time in Boston, I own a lot of t shirts with Boston stuff on them. When I have gone out places in Cleveland, sometimes people will ask "Are you from Boston?" Sometimes for fun I say that I am. People universally respond with "Cool" or "Nice" or "I was there two years ago for x y and z" or something along those lines. Never "ugh Boston is so terrible I can't even fathom how you live there."

Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:

A lot of people in the BosWash corridor who have never traveled to the Midwest genuinely think that Ohio is all cornfields or crumbling industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, she would be a good example of one of the ignorant people to which I was referring in my previous post. This is someone who just thinks it's okay to throw out insults because she thinks something she has read about but not actually experienced herself is common knowledge.

I would have had some choice words for her.

I would have asked her that question. I've actually been in this situation and asked it. Nine times out of ten people can only quote hearsay.
To my knowledge she had never been to Ohio. I didn't feel like starting an argument with someone who who was that ridiculous. Also I had to spend the rest of the night with her because I was my friend's "date" to an office party and the rude girl was part of her friend group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's accepted on the coast to instantly demean people from places they think are low class or boring. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like you, but just shows how truly ignorant, provincial and close minded the coasts actually are.

I have to say, it's not uncommon and it does annoy me a lot. I don't know- have you EVER heard someone from anywhere in Ohio say something like "oh you live in Philly/Boston/DC/NYC?? How can you possibly do that??" As a result from my time in Boston, I own a lot of t shirts with Boston stuff on them. When I have gone out places in Cleveland, sometimes people will ask "Are you from Boston?" Sometimes for fun I say that I am. People universally respond with "Cool" or "Nice" or "I was there two years ago for x y and z" or something along those lines. Never "ugh Boston is so terrible I can't even fathom how you live there."
Being from New Jersey sometimes people will say "Oh Joisey" or reference the Jersey Shore television show jokingly but usually people in Ohio are generally curious and seem to find it interesting. People in Ohio are overall noticeably more friendly and polite then metro NYC in my experience.

My friend's mother in New Jersey also kindly informed me that "I would never got a job outside of Ohio with my OSU degree"

Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:

My friend's mother in New Jersey also kindly informed me that "I would never got a job outside of Ohio with my OSU degree"
Ha yeah it's not like we have the most alumni of any university in the country or anything.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
To my knowledge she had never been to Ohio. I didn't feel like starting an argument with someone who who was that ridiculous. Also I had to spend the rest of the night with her because I was my friend's "date" to an office party and the rude girl was part of her friend group.
That was wise under the circumstances.

When the situation is right though, I've found people who diss places simply based on anything but firsthand knowledge get embarrassed when they realize their opinions are just a parroting of what they've read or heard.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
If this helps cities like Cleveland, Akron, etc are never respected in the media. Akron in particular was always the butt of jokes. These days those jokes tend to be about Dayton, but in any event there is a very good reason why this region gets the rep that it does.

Not to say that none of it is deserved. It is what it is. I can say that I have come to respect it a lot more, as someone from there, having visited other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland