Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
If I wanted to still live in Seattle I would. I don't. You must not have lived anywhere else if you can't understand enjoying aspects of other cities more than some things here.
Yet I do have an idea of what you're looking for, if you enjoyed Legacy Village. When the Van Aken redevelopment is complete in Shaker Heights, I have hunch you might be happy living along the Blue Line in Shaker Heights.

City of Shaker Heights - Van Aken Redevelopment

Just thought of that possibility.

Residential prices there may escalate in the next five years if the project is as successful as I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Not too many cities were devastated like cleveland, detroit Pittsburgh, etc beginning in the 60's to present. Certainly not seatle.
But Cleveland is making strides, huge strides, especially over the past 5 yrs. !
Man if you think Cleveland looks rough now you should have seen it in the 70's.!
I did see it in the '70s. I was growing up here at the time.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:08 AM

Default American Ninja Warrior fan fest in Public Square

Here's an example of how downtown activity in Cleveland is very event driven.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...r_fanfest.html

The American Ninja fan fest occupied Public Square on Monday and Tuesday.

American Ninja Warrior draws crowd to Cleveland Public Square - Photo Gallery - cleveland.com

I suspect this was scheduled for a Monday and Tuesday, both a work and school day, actually to limit crowds, given the limited infrastructure available.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleve...otos/437769760

Last edited by WRnative; 05-09-2017 at 06:57 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

You're definition of blighted and mine are very different. Asiatown is a functioning community with many restaurants. I certainly wouldn't call the Asia Plaza blighted. I'm not certain that there are any vacancies there. Koko Bakery reportedly is the only Chinese bakery between NYC and Chicago. I dine in Asiatown perhaps a dozen times a year, and while it's not upscale, it doesn't meet my definition of blighted.
I'm with you on many of your arguments in this tread. Asiatown is not blighted. Cleveland is awesome.

BUT... just wanted to quickly correct one inaccuracy...
Pittsburgh also has a Chinese bakery (in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood). It's across the street from the Korean bakery.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I'm with you on many of your arguments in this tread. Asiatown is not blighted. Cleveland is awesome.

Pittsburgh also has a Chinese bakery (in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood). It's across the street from the Korean bakery.
Good to know. Obviously, certain claims such as the one about the "only Chinese bakery between NYC and Chicago" should always be suspect.

Candidly, I'm much more happy that Cleveland has several Hungarian bakeries!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Good to know. Obviously, certain claims such as the one about the "only Chinese bakery between NYC and Chicago" should always be suspect.

Candidly, I'm much more happy that Cleveland has several Hungarian bakeries!
I want to point out that I always appreciate your posts.
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I want to point out that I always appreciate your posts.
Thanks.
Thank you for the compliment! I try.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:

Park to Shop Supermarket in Asia Plaza also sells freshly prepared Chinese buns and pastries although I guess with no sit down area, it can't really be considered a true bakery.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
I went back to Cleveland and stayed at the Ritz downtown on Tuesday.

For the most part Cleveland is incredibly easy to navigate and the drive from Columbus is a breeze even though I hit a little bit of Columbus rush hour on the way up.

I still stand by my assessment that Tower City is a great concept that is poorly executed. It has a very strange musky odor to it. I imagine it's a much cooler version of what City Center was in Columbus before that went under.

I really enjoyed East 4th street during the weekday. It still had a great energy and lots of patrons at the bars and restaurants but it wasn't as frenetic as after an Indians' game.

Went to the Society Lounge, Butcher and the Brewer and then some bowling/arcade bar right there.

I will be back this summer. Hopefully I'll branch out of the stereotypical tourist areas and actually get to check out some of the cooler neighborhoods on the near east and west sides.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I still stand by my assessment that Tower City is a great concept that is poorly executed. It has a very strange musky odor to it. I imagine it's a much cooler version of what City Center was in Columbus before that went under.
When Tower City first opened back in the early 1990s it was much better. Today it's a ghost of its former self. Oh well, at least it's still around and has great potential. Perhaps as more and more affluent Clevelanders continue to move downtown, it will revive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland