U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,746 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I really like the housing stock there and I've driven through a few blocks in the area surrounded by Noble, Mayfield, Monticello, and S. Green and all surrounding S. Belvoir. Everything seemed rather quiet and peaceful. I am interested in purchasing in this area, but I have next to zero knowledge about it. What is everyone's opinion on crime and safety of that specific area and of South Euclid as a whole?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2017, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,135 posts, read 1,579,716 times
Reputation: 978
I actually have a rental property in that area that's unofficially available for sale (PM me if you want to get more info).


It's a relatively quiet area once you're half a block in from the main streets. As you get more towards Monticello and Noble (in CH), it's a bit rougher, but I never had any issues when we lived there (2004-2013).


South Euclid schools are average at best and CH are worse (the two cities merge in the area you're talking about) so I'd plan to go private if you have kids.


There's a nice playground near the new football/soccer fields at Monticello and Green and we would walk to the library/playground by Noble Elementary so those are nice plusses as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,233 posts, read 4,213,964 times
Reputation: 2567
I grew up in that area. I'd say it's pretty decent, but not considered one of the most desirable areas of South Euclid or Cleveland Heights. There was a lot of subprime lending in that area pre-recession, and subsequently a lot of foreclosures. I think it's steadily been rebounding, however. The drawbacks are that the schools aren't great, it's relatively close to East Cleveland, and there aren't many places (besides the parks) to walk to. The positives are that the housing stock is a little nicer than average for SE, and there is a lot of greenery and park land, including the Euclid Creek metroparks and 2 large city parks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM
 
1,590 posts, read 1,918,966 times
Reputation: 1867
It's sad what happened there. Brush in the 90s is a dramatically different school today. Just another tragedy.

Decent enough place for a starter home though. Coffee Phix is a neighborhood gym, and Mayfield Road has a few charming pubs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: CA
1,002 posts, read 869,168 times
Reputation: 764
My mom attended Brush... around 1955.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,746 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I actually have a rental property in that area that's unofficially available for sale (PM me if you want to get more info).


It's a relatively quiet area once you're half a block in from the main streets. As you get more towards Monticello and Noble (in CH), it's a bit rougher, but I never had any issues when we lived there (2004-2013).


South Euclid schools are average at best and CH are worse (the two cities merge in the area you're talking about) so I'd plan to go private if you have kids.


There's a nice playground near the new football/soccer fields at Monticello and Green and we would walk to the library/playground by Noble Elementary so those are nice plusses as well.

I don't have kids, so I'm not concerned about kids. I am a gay man so area acceptance is always a concern that I have, but from my experience it's typically not an issue in the Cleveland area. I'm still pretty early in my 20's and I am a CSU student but I do have a solid job in banking and can already afford to own. I'm looking somewhere around 90-100k for right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I grew up in that area. I'd say it's pretty decent, but not considered one of the most desirable areas of South Euclid or Cleveland Heights. There was a lot of subprime lending in that area pre-recession, and subsequently a lot of foreclosures. I think it's steadily been rebounding, however. The drawbacks are that the schools aren't great, it's relatively close to East Cleveland, and there aren't many places (besides the parks) to walk to. The positives are that the housing stock is a little nicer than average for SE, and there is a lot of greenery and park land, including the Euclid Creek metroparks and 2 large city parks.
I'm not overly familiar with the east side of Cleveland. I work on the west side, but I like the diversity and culture of the east side. I'm familiar with the issues of East Cleveland, but I don't really have an understanding of how close is too close. As far as walkability, I like being in a quiet neighborhood without much to do other than green space and I don't mind driving to stores or bars etc. I prefer for it all to be about 10-20 minutes from my neighborhood because in my mind it limits the amount of people that come through the neighborhood. It's possible that logic is flawed, but...idk.


Also, I've lived in Lorain/Amherst, OH all of my life so I assume SE or CH are a step forward lol
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 PM
 
9,595 posts, read 6,335,069 times
Reputation: 5526
If you work on the west side, check that commute during your regular hours. It's not one that I would find pleasant, depending upon where you work on the west side.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,135 posts, read 1,579,716 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOnTheRoof View Post
I don't have kids, so I'm not concerned about kids. I am a gay man so area acceptance is always a concern that I have, but from my experience it's typically not an issue in the Cleveland area. I'm still pretty early in my 20's and I am a CSU student but I do have a solid job in banking and can already afford to own. I'm looking somewhere around 90-100k for right now.
My neighbor (at the current rental) is gay. He's older though so I won't try to hook you up with him (<- this is a joke).


I think the CH/South Euclid area is a good choice - definitely an inclusive area of the city (moreso CH, but whatevs, in the area you're looking, they're essentially the same).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM
 
120 posts, read 81,086 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOnTheRoof View Post
I really like the housing stock there and I've driven through a few blocks in the area surrounded by Noble, Mayfield, Monticello, and S. Green and all surrounding S. Belvoir. Everything seemed rather quiet and peaceful. I am interested in purchasing in this area, but I have next to zero knowledge about it. What is everyone's opinion on crime and safety of that specific area and of South Euclid as a whole?
Do you care about appreciation and making money off of your investment someday? If so, I wouldn't look anywhere around there. If that doesn't bother you, than this area is OK.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM
 
6 posts, read 8,746 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
My neighbor (at the current rental) is gay. He's older though so I won't try to hook you up with him (<- this is a joke).


I think the CH/South Euclid area is a good choice - definitely an inclusive area of the city (moreso CH, but whatevs, in the area you're looking, they're essentially the same).

LOL Good lookin out on the neighbor aspect. I was thinking the same as far as CH/SE, but based on what I've heard on here the taxes in CH are higher with little return or necessity if one doesn't have kids. Is that accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If you work on the west side, check that commute during your regular hours. It's not one that I would find pleasant, depending upon where you work on the west side.
I work in Westlake, near Crocker Park. The commute time doesn't bother me very much. I used to commute about an hour so I believe it'll be similar to that. I also consider that my personal time to think and hold my American Idol auditions to my music lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
Do you care about appreciation and making money off of your investment someday? If so, I wouldn't look anywhere around there. If that doesn't bother you, than this area is OK.

This would be a starter home and I'd plan on probably turning it into a rental property about 5-7 years down the line.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top