Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
No area inside Shaker Heights is "bad." Moreland has more working-class African Americans than any other section and the housing is older and more typical of WWI-era Cleveland housing than the more individually architect-built houses of Shaker-- I believe this may be because the neighborhood was already established when the Van Swernigens annexed it for Shaker Heights during WWI when most areas of Shaker was either farm land and houses or completely undeveloped... But the houses in that area a better kept than many similar Cleveland areas-- Shaker doesn't allow boarded-up abandoned or foreclosed properties... Shaker demands certain standards of upkeep and the area receives Shaker services, including police and sanitation... and its in the still-quality Shaker School District.
I guess it depends on how we define "bad". We lived south of Lomond for several years, traveling to the west each year until we found the ideal rental for the ideal price for our family. However, the further west you go the more crime picks up, and we experienced more than we bargained for when we first considered the area. You're a block or two away from areas of east Cleveland (don't know the neighborhood names south of Scottsdale Blvd), and it wasn't uncommon to hear gunshots ring out through the night. No, they weren't directly in the Lomond 'hood, but that didn't necessarily put my mind at ease. We had a bike stolen, our Easter eggs stolen (WTF!), and our house broken into -- which, in the process, we lost all of our digital photos stored on our laptop, which were priceless (now I know to back everything up via the Cloud). BUT, none of us were ever assaulted, and I didn't see any assaults take place in my time there (except teenagers who apparently get a kick out of beating each other up for fun in the park or their front lawn). Our children made friends easily in the neighborhood and schools and Lomond Elementary was an excellent first school for our oldest daughter, and has set her on a great academic career path already (now she's in 1st grade, but we live in MN now).

The area you're referencing is an area I'd personally avoid considering moving our family to. It's not bad in and of itself, but it's just too close to way too much trouble. It's "bad-adjacent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
This is really the only part of Shaker that I wouldn't recommend. There is no real barrier between it, and some VERY rough parts of Cleveland, and there is spill over crime. I'd stay either on the other side of Lee, or the other side of Van Aken.
For once, we agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland