U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 AM

120 posts, read 81,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I think the area of Cudell near W. Blvd is poised for growth. Great public transportation access: the red line station, bus lines along Detroit, and BRT along Clifton. Access to Lake Erie / Edgewater Park, proximity to high end housing in the Edgewater neighborhood and the encroaching development coming up from lower Detroit Ave.
You're 100% right, this area has loads of untapped potential.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 AM

378 posts, read 234,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
You're 100% right, this area has loads of untapped potential.
They're also about to perform a massive reconstruction of the marginal roads at the southern end of the neighborhood. Traffic is being re-routed along Western to West Blvd and the marginal road between N Marginal and Western is being completely removed and replaced with bioswale water management basins. The sidewalks are remaining so it will function as a nice little linear park with open green space at the eastern end.

The remaining roads are being rebuilt, scaled down, and gaining protected bike lanes.

This street will now end in a park which I think will be very nice: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4699...thumbfov%3D100

Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 PM

9,626 posts, read 6,381,880 times
I know this house is likely beyond your budget, but, for point of reference, it is only 1.3 miles from Presti's in the heart of Little Italy.

Cleveland Heights home has Millionaires' Row roots: House of the Week | cleveland.com

Old 05-21-2017, 12:07 PM

78 posts, read 44,799 times
Ohio City, Tremont, maybe even Cleveland Heights.

I lived out in Twinsburg-great schools but did not get a return on the value of my home, lost money.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:59 PM

8,553 posts, read 13,581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I know this house is likely beyond your budget, but, for point of reference, it is only 1.3 miles from Presti's in the heart of Little Italy.

Cleveland Heights home has Millionaires' Row roots: House of the Week | cleveland.com
That's a beautiful home for only half a million, but the comments make it sound like it's not in a very good area. How accurate are they?

• Beautiful home that will lose value every year due to the area. It would be worth a million dollars in a better zip code.
  • Everything not bolted down usually gets stolen!

• Albeit a beautiful home it is still a huge investment in a highly questionable area. No schools of note, the ghetto knocking on the door just down the street. You can't get swept up in the house, built by Bradley and Watergate circa 1903.(whatever) That should not detract from the reality that the home will NOT retain its value, the neighborhood is done, the community is ghettoized,

Old 05-21-2017, 01:20 PM

9,626 posts, read 6,381,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That's a beautiful home for only half a million, but the comments make it sound like it's not in a very good area. How accurate are they?

• Beautiful home that will lose value every year due to the area. It would be worth a million dollars in a better zip code.
  • Everything not bolted down usually gets stolen!

• Albeit a beautiful home it is still a huge investment in a highly questionable area. No schools of note, the ghetto knocking on the door just down the street. You can't get swept up in the house, built by Bradley and Watergate circa 1903.(whatever) That should not detract from the reality that the home will NOT retain its value, the neighborhood is done, the community is ghettoized,
I'm more familiar with the areas of Cleveland Hts. even closer to Little Italy.

Those negative comments about the linked house do surprise me, and are worth examining closely for anyone interested in purchasing the house. I constantly wonder if Cleveland Hts. has reached its nadir, and if the neighborhoods with those wonderful old houses will show appreciation in coming decades.

A problem for Cleveland Hts. is that there is a wide disparity in the quality of the housing, much more so I think than in Shaker Hts.

The impression that I get about the Cleveland Hts. school system is that very good students can thrive there, but that much of the student body is a challenge. All based on comments by posters, as I've not examined the stats for Cleveland Hts. schools closely and haven't known anybody who used the Cleveland Hts. schools in the past four decades. My age peers who went to Cleveland Hts. High School greatly enjoyed it.

My point of linking that cleveland.com "House of the Week" was to show that the Cleveland Hts. upscale neighborhood close to University Circle was not a tiny area.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:59 PM

3,906 posts, read 6,281,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Albeit a beautiful home it is still a huge investment in a highly questionable area. No schools of note, the ghetto knocking on the door just down the street. You can't get swept up in the house, built by Bradley and Watergate circa 1903.(whatever) That should not detract from the reality that the home will NOT retain its value, the neighborhood is done, the community is ghettoized,
They should turn it into a boardinghouse.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM

8,553 posts, read 13,581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm more familiar with the areas of Cleveland Hts. even closer to Little Italy.

Those negative comments about the linked house do surprise me, and are worth examining closely for anyone interested in purchasing the house. I constantly wonder if Cleveland Hts. has reached its nadir, and if the neighborhoods with those wonderful old houses will show appreciation in coming decades.

A problem for Cleveland Hts. is that there is a wide disparity in the quality of the housing, much more so I think than in Shaker Hts.

The impression that I get about the Cleveland Hts. school system is that very good students can thrive there, but that much of the student body is a challenge. All based on comments by posters, as I've not examined the stats for Cleveland Hts. schools closely and haven't known anybody who used the Cleveland Hts. schools in the past four decades. My age peers who went to Cleveland Hts. High School greatly enjoyed it.

My point of linking that cleveland.com "House of the Week" was to show that the Cleveland Hts. upscale neighborhood close to University Circle was not a tiny area.
I understand.

I take comments like those with a grain of salt as I know people can overgeneralize an area and areas change for the better as well as for the worse. Some will just be negative.

I'm from NE Ohio and like teacherdad we have talked about living in CLE after retirement. If not full time, possibly for part of the year so I pick up on these threads from time to time.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM

378 posts, read 234,559 times
PD real estate articles always engender the same type of negative, crime-centric, paranoid types of responses when dealing with a Cleveland or Cleveland-adjacent address and I give them minimal weight. "Everything is scary" is a useless mentality in a city. Just look at the comments on the post for that Italiante house on Clinton in Ohio City from a few months ago. The comments treated it as if everyone is being mugged constantly and it was in the middle of a war zone.

The area this house is in is nice. I spend a decent amount of time in this exact area and it's always been very pleasant. I do think areas of CH may not appreciate much further, but this specific area in question is likely going to be one that increases in value as University Circle and Little Italy continue to boom.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM

1,002 posts, read 872,723 times
That home is pretty sweet. Since I do not plan to live with my kids... A smaller place is just fine, but that style home fits our tastes. We actually have a piece of furniture from my wife's side (Cinci) that is circa "George Washington era" and is some type of corner cabinet with wooden screws. I'd love to find an older place that is in very good condition, but probably 1500 sq. ft. is plenty. I'd rather have money to spend outside the home:
travel
sporting events
theatre

etc.

Thank you for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland