Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Millennials may not be your cup of tea, but they are the largest generation in history and they're going to have enormous influence long into the future. I am not sure it makes good sense for a city to ignore them or be resentful of what they're looking for. Cities are too economically competitive now, and the Amazon HQ search is just one example of that reality.
Uh, we all know about Millennials and that they shouldn't be ignored as they have fueled cities' growth, esp. the ''new big cities''. They are bland and robotic and are the future, nonetheless and are, for now, the future.

Couple future issues: when they marry/kids, out to the 'burbs though in many cities and, their general self-centeredness is contributing to some never marrying/no kids so some will stay in the cities.

Yet, despite the living in the city hoopla, more millennials are heading to suburbs even today.

Uh, to you use one of your recent quotes, I think you are being a little too sensitive about this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
I don't think public perception is necessarily a great benchmark, anyway.

What do you mean by that?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't think public perception is necessarily a great benchmark, anyway.

What do you mean by that?
He had to passively aggressively manipulate a couple statements about COL not having an image/national press etc. with the Rust Belt cities (CLE) shrinking and then tie up with ''perception'' conclusion.

Public perception is a key benchmark.

There's a CIN poster disguised comments in another forum passively aggressively stating things like:

Regarding the CLE Q Arena rehab "I was in the Q, seems fine to me; I mean why rehab it just for the NBA All Star Game''...like that's the only reason for the rehab; meanwhile CIN sits with its white elephant outdated US Tanked Arena on its riverfront...

or the nucleus project...''CLE doesn't need this; it needs to focus on smaller projects so it can grow''...total passive-aggression.

Last edited by Kamms; 09-11-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 01:52 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Eh, I would not be so sure of that anymore. I'm seeing it mentioned a LOT more in national articles. Maybe it's not as well-recognized yet, but it's certainly increasing.

And f you asked the average person about Cleveland, what would they know? I suspect none of the more recent positives, but rather its image as a shrinking Rust Belt city or the Cavs/Browns. I don't think public perception is necessarily a great benchmark, anyway.
The average person, I doubt, reads these national articles.

I'm not saying anyone knows much about Cleveland. But it's definitely on TV way more than Columbus.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Mean about what?

Your public perception comment is confusing given that you started a thread about CLE national perception aka its public perception.
What I meant was, what do you mean by public perception should not be a benchmark? Like public perception shouldn't be a benchmark for how people view a city?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What I meant was, what do you mean by public perception should not be a benchmark? Like public perception shouldn't be a benchmark for how people view a city?
I deleted and reframed that initial response to you as I realized where the ''perception'' comment came from.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
I've long been under the impression that Clevelanders don't much like Columbus, either, at least on this forum- and in Cleveland.com articles.
Cleveland.com articles??? An example would be informative.

In C-D forums, there are certain attitudes dismissive of Cleveland expressed by posters from Cincinnati and Columbus that frustrate Cleveland posters. This is evident in the debate between Cincinnati and Cleveland posters in this thread.

As you well know, some Columbus posters also refuse to admit the great economic benefit conferred on Columbus as the state capital. Generally, posters from not only Cleveland but also Cincinnati and elsewhere in Ohio find such denials preposterous.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
The capitol offices have a minimal effect on Columbus's economic growth and recent good fortune. All you need for proof of that is to look at states of a similar population with remote capitol cities that nobody cares about:

Michigan...Lansing.
NJ...Trenton.
Illinois...Springfield.
Penn...Harrisburg.

Are any of those four cities booming? No. Florida is now 2x the population of Ohio and Tallahassee remains an obscure city. Same with Sacramento.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:16 PM

840 posts, read 760,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
Any effort to attract Amazon to build its second HQ in Cleveland?

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
That would be great for CLE but probably not going to happen. I saw this article also....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html

Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Cincinnati is the clear frontrunner for the state of Ohio.

1. Amazon Prime Air Hub under construction as we speak at CVG. Will eventually employ over 3,000 people. Airport has a much larger physical capacity than any other in the region, leftover from the Delta Hub.
2. Kroger HQ -- opportunity for Amazon to pillage Kroger's marketing and analytics talent
3. Macy's HQ -- opportunity for Amazon to pillage Macy's marketing and analytics talent
4. Cincinnati has a modern streetcar system -- the Amazon HQ in Seattle is situated along their new streetcar line
I'm sure Amazon wants some of that Macy's magic and expertise, if they don't go broke first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland