Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,417,919 times

Advertisements

I got a question and I want your opinion. In your opinion, where do you think outsiders get their perception of Cleveland from? The media? Hearsay? Social media? Stand up comics? Let me know.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,088,306 times
Mike Polk's Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism videos .

Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 AM

3,860 posts, read 3,104,232 times
At least for me it is the news media. When the kidnapper Ariel Castro was caught with those 3 women held captive in his home the images of the neighborhood gives the casual observer who has limited knowledge of Cleveland an ideal of how Cleveland neighborhoods may look like.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
For as much as we all love Mike Polk, I do have to say, those videos did not help Cleveland at all and that truly is what the rest of the country latches onto. The idiotic shirts at cle clothijng company proclaiming "we're not detroit" are also regrettable.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,271,738 times
The thing about those Hastily Made Tourism Videos is that one could produce a similar video about any city, just by cherry picking what one shows -- and does not show.

That said, I got a kick out of those two videos. They made me laugh.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The thing about those Hastily Made Tourism Videos is that one could produce a similar video about any city, just by cherry picking what one shows -- and does not show.

That said, I got a kick out of those two videos. They made me laugh.
Yep, one could easily make a similar video for even the "nice" cities. For some reason everyone ignores the 20 ft high piles of garbage in New York city every day, but it's funny to rip on Cleveland for... bit having many skyscrapers?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
At least for me it is the news media. When the kidnapper Ariel Castro was caught with those 3 women held captive in his home the images of the neighborhood gives the casual observer who has limited knowledge of Cleveland an ideal of how Cleveland neighborhoods may look like.
I think more people focused on more on the rescue because it was a triumphant story. I didn't hear many people really talk negative about the story. It's a shame that Charles Ramsey got thrown under the bus after he did such a noble thing, he should've gotten his just due more. I don't know if they'll think that's how all Cleveland neighborhoods are unless they're ignorant and don't know how to research. That's just like people assuming that all their is to Chicago neighborhoods is the South Side and West Side because the most violence comes from those areas.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 09-10-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I agree that a lot of people latch on to those videos as if that's how Cleveland is. And, the funny thing is that those videos are 8 or 9 years old. It's just in the same thing when it comes to the "Mistake by the Lake" stuff, people still latch on to that. The city of Chicago catches on fire, but nobody brings that up constantly; they get praised as "The Second City." The river catching fire paved the way for the EPA, and the first black mayor of a major American city came from Cleveland in Carl Stokes. Cavs were the 1st team to rally from a 3-1 deficit in The Finals to claim the title. If it was NY, L.A. or Chicago, you'd never hear the end of it. A lot of people feel it shouldn't have been Cleveland to make no history. For some of them, it's their wet dream for Cleveland to be horrible so they can feel good about the city they live in.

I feel that most people on the Coasts are the most educated and sophisticated, but a lot of them are the most ignorant and sophisticated bunch in the world. I bet if a comic from a big city made a video similar to Mike Polk's, they would be P.O.'d because it shatters the perfect image of their city.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yep, one could easily make a similar video for even the "nice" cities. For some reason everyone ignores the 20 ft high piles of garbage in New York city every day, but it's funny to rip on Cleveland for... bit having many skyscrapers?
How do you think those people in cities like Boston, New York, L.A. or Chicago would react if a comic made a video similar to Mike Polk's pointing out the city's negatives?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
How do you think those people in cities like Boston, New York, L.A. or Chicago would react if a comic made a video similar to Mike Polk's pointing out the city's negatives?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...bVO/story.html

In response to this:

Pretty Cute Watching Boston Residents Play Daily Game Of

Bostonians or native new englanders in general think they live in the only city worth living in. If you say anything negative they will default to talking nonsense about universities and hospitals or sports championships. As if that matters at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: