Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 03:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Two things struck me about this list:

1) Several interesting additions to the Playhouse Square culinary scene.

2) Citizen Pie, the acclaimed North Collinwood pizzeria, has opened a West 25th St. second store. Famed food critic Michael Ruhlman claimed that Citizen Pie produced a near perfect pizza.

Cleveland Cavaliers 2017: 20 new bars, restaurants in and around downtown | cleveland.com

<<As we rolled off Waterloo Road in North Collinwood, Ohio, I said, “Pizza guy.”

Joe said, “Pizza god.”>>

A Near Perfect Pizza | Michael Ruhlman

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...o.html#REVIEWS

The new West 25th store has received some uneven reviews, however.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/citizen-pie-cleveland-2

The Marble Room is mentioned in the above article, so I decided to check in on the reviews now that it's been open several months. Generally excellent reviews, especially for ambiance. Expensive.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/marble-room...-bar-cleveland

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

Puento Viejo in the Playhouse Square district is now ranked 16 among yelp.com best Cleveland restaurants.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...d,+OH&start=10

https://www.yelp.com/biz/puente-viej...op+Restaurants

Masthead Brewing is the only restaurant on the above list that already has broken into the tripadvisor.com top 50 Cleveland restaurants, but it only serves pizza.

Not mentioned in the article is Hansa Brewery, also relatively new and it has broken into the tripadvisor top 50 at number 44. Hansa only recently expanded its food menu. I recently visited it for the first time. It has a decent-sized food menu to complement some excellent beer. I had turkey Wienerschnitzel there for the first time, and it was very good. Very good spaetzle.

Boris Music, Hansa's owner, is a very hand's on promoter of his establishment, for those who enjoy a personal experience. He told us that patrons can use the St. Ignatius parking lot across the street after 3 p.m., and that the parking lot never is locked despite a sign that says it's locked at 6 p.m. There is plenty of street parking, regardless. Just a short distance west of the West Side Market on Lorain Blvd. Hansa's dessert menu includes a Farkas Bakery torte for dessert; Music explained, "it's better than we could make."

There's some great beer in Ohio City besides the more established Great Lakes, Market Garden and Nano breweries.

<<Hansa earned gold in the Schwarzbier category for Black Flag [why would anyone name a beer after a pesticide brand?] and a bronze in the French / Belgian Ale category for Le Champ De Vesna. (Hansa's neighbor down the street, Platform Beer Co., won a gold in the sessions-beer category for Hyper Retro.) >>

Hansa Brewery expands menu, changes hours, wins beer awards | cleveland.com

Persons heading to downtown sporting venues perhaps could park at St. Ignatius, or the West Side Market when the market is closed, and then take the Red Line rail rapid downtown from the West 25th station.

The Hansa Import Haus is located next to the Hansa Brewery.

https://clevelandrocksclevelandeats....a-import-haus/

Last edited by WRnative; 10-19-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 PM

474 posts, read 840,102 times
Hansa sounds right up my alley. I'm going to have to visit soon.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Thirsty Dog plants its flag in East Flats

Akron-based Thirsty Dog Brewing Company will open a Cleveland outpost in the East Flats on Wednesday. It will feature a Cleveland ethnic menu:

<<A 10-barrel system will handle brewing on premises. As for food, the brewpub menu will include "an array of sharable appetizers, featuring sauerkraut balls and assorted poutine style dishes. Locally made sausages and fresh Angus beef burgers are the centerpiece of the made-from-scratch menu. Dinner entrees will include house-smoked meatloaf, a Cleveland made kielbasa and pierogi platter and pretzel crusted chicken. Dinner sized salads and flatbread pizzas will also round off the menu," according to a press release.>>

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...bbedPopularity

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM

4,523 posts, read 5,093,240 times
The new Saucy Brew Works, at W. 29 & Detroit (Hingetown) in the old factory, focuses on beer and pizza, and their thin-crust pizza is excellent and made to order. It's also clean, spacious and interesting with lots of wide flat-screens all over for great sports watching. It's also self serve.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Black Flag was not only a pesticide, but an old-school punk band.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:22 AM

The new Thirsty Dog in the East Flats appears to have many screens in the bar area.

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company ready to open Flats location Wednesday | WKYC.com

Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Hansa took sooo friggin' long to open, ... but I'm glad to see their success in their first year. Looks like a nice place, along with the deli next door; they're definitely packin' em in.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
they're definitely packin' em in.
Why do you say that? We were there on a weekday night, and there were less than 10 diners and five guys at the bar. I left a little worried about the brewpub's survival, but the owner said they were much busier on Friday and Saturday nights.

Cleveland now is loaded with brewpubs and additional ones keep opening. It wouldn't be surprising to see a shake-out in coming months/years, especially in a weakened economic period/fall-off in the Indians and Cavs competitiveness. Hansa also must compete with the Hofbau Haus behind PlayhouseSquare, and the Hofbrau Haus has a band on most nights.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Why do you say that? We were there on a weekday night, and there were less than 10 diners and five guys at the bar. I left a little worried about the brewpub's survival, but the owner said they were much busier on Friday and Saturday nights.

Cleveland now is loaded with brewpubs and additional ones keep opening. It wouldn't be surprising to see a shake-out in coming months/years, especially in a weakened economic period/fall-off in the Indians and Cavs competitiveness. Hansa also must compete with the Hofbau Haus behind PlayhouseSquare, and the Hofbrau Haus has a band on most nights.
Admittedly, the 2 times I've been by; and stopped in, Hansa was on a Saturday (afternoon and evening), both times when Ohio City, esp Market Square, is at its peak. I realize there are a lot of brewpubs in downtown and Ohio City (Akron's Thirsty Dog is set to open in Flats East Bank), but Ohio City has been marketing itself as the brewpub capital of the Midwest. I hope they're all successful realizing that this wish is a fantasy.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Admittedly, the 2 times I've been by; and stopped in, Hansa was on a Saturday (afternoon and evening), both times when Ohio City, esp Market Square, is at its peak. I realize there are a lot of brewpubs in downtown and Ohio City (Akron's Thirsty Dog is set to open in Flats East Bank), but Ohio City has been marketing itself as the brewpub capital of the Midwest. I hope they're all successful realizing that this wish is a fantasy.
Of course some will die. But really, there is no over saturation. What we are seeing is simply a shift in preference from "bars" to "brewpubs." If one goes under, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. One that people will like more might open up.

But anyway, I don't think Hansa will be one of those as I think it's pretty good. Love the food. I've only been there when it's not busy though. I think one time was Thursday at 1 pm or so, and another a couple weeks ago for dinner, though it seemed to be picking up a bit when we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: