Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM

270 posts, read 210,791 times

Advertisements

I'm from CA and looking at realtor.com for fun and see that homes in Cleveland so cheap! I can't believe the price from $2,000. Why?

So is everyone there a homeowner?
Got me thinking to invest in homes there as a starter since CA too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I'm from CA and looking at realtor.com for fun and see that homes in Cleveland so cheap! I can't believe the price from $2,000. Why?
So is everyone there a homeowner?
Got me thinking to invest in homes there as a starter since CA too expensive.
I would never live in Cleveland because it is on one of the great lakes. This means (due to snow effect) it probably snows every day in winter and also -- did you see what happened to Erie Penn? You could get 6 inches of snow if you get a blizzard enhanced by lake effect.

I used to live in Lansing Michigan and we got snow and cloudy weather almost daily in the winter and we were pretty far from lake.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I would never live in Cleveland because it is on one of the great lakes. This means (due to snow effect) it probably snows every day in winter and also -- did you see what happened to Erie Penn? You could get 6 inches of snow if you get a blizzard enhanced by lake effect.

I used to live in Lansing Michigan and we got snow and cloudy weather almost daily in the winter and we were pretty far from lake.
How did this become about you and your ''snow history'' in Michigan?

The ''probably'' part of your statement related to it snowing everyday indicates you're guessing; it doesn't snow everyday. The topic is Cleveland OH, not Erie PA btw and this year's Erie snow is a rare occurrence.

Lansing MI is due east of Lake Michigan. That's your snow culprit there. Lake effect/enhanced snow hits all over the east coast as well, as far south as the Philly-Chesapeake-DC areas.

Also, the OP didn't state he or she is moving to or wanting to live in Cleveland, just considering investing in real estate there; but, for some reason, you turned the topic to you (and never wanting to live in Cleveland) and your snow history as the first response. Would be willing to bet the OP knows it snows in Cleveland though in the winter.

Any thoughts on the OP's actual question?

To the OP: there are certain city areas (current neighborhoods like Ohio City, Tremont, Detroit-Shoreway, University Circle, Little Italy that are worth investing in as well as up and coming ones like AsiaTown, Mid-Town, Slavic Village.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-13-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
"Never live in CLE near a lake...snow everyday..." LOL !!!

Old 01-13-2018, 12:08 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
How did this become about you and your ''snow history'' in Michigan?.
Get a grip. Obviously it was about snow on great lakes.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
"Never live in CLE near a lake...snow everyday..." LOL !!!

I know! What's “the snow effect" now?

Buying investment property closer to the lake will be a greater investment for the OP. That poster has it all wrong. There are big beautiful homes all along the lake. They don’t care about snow.

Last edited by Minervah; 01-13-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
This means (due to snow effect) it probably snows every day in winter and also -- did you see what happened to Erie Penn? You could get 6 inches of snow if you get a blizzard enhanced by lake effect.
Ignorance.

It's easy to research the probability of experiencing snow on any given day in winter in Cleveland or anywhere else at sites such as weatherspark.com. The winter daily probability of receiving a snowfall with a liquid equivalent of .04 inches or greater actually is less than 5 percent in Cleveland. See the chart here:

https://weatherspark.com/m/18154/1/A...-United-States

Erie experienced a record-breaking snowfall this past December around Christmas. That's not a typical Erie weather experience even though it's in the heart (stretching from around the OH/PA border to southern Buffalo) of the Lake Erie snow belt. These areas are downwind of the length of Lake Erie and can receive large lake effect snow storms when winds perfectly blow across a great length of the lake when its waters still are relatively warm and not ice-covered (lake effect snow is greatly reduced once the lake is frozen). Erie's late December snow event was record-setting for even Erie and unlike anything ever remotely seen in Cleveland; Erie over a few days received as much snow as Cleveland averages in an entire winter.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=

The Lake Erie snow belt stretches into Ohio, but begins east of Cleveland proper, as the Lake Erie shoreline begins to slope to the northeast. In Ohio, the snow is greater in the higher altitudes south of Lake Erie, such as around Chardon in Geauga County. The average annual snowfall there is 108 inches, actually more than the annual average in Erie, but Chardon isn't as prone to the massive snowstorms which strike the eastern shore of Lake Erie.

Yearly Total Snowfall | Chardon, OH - Official Website

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

Chardon is about 23 miles from Cleveland, which averages 60 inches of snow per winter. Heavy daily snowfalls in Cleveland typically are between 5-10 inches, and never beyond 15 inches; snowfalls of greater than 10 inches are very rare. Greater Cleveland has very good snow removal and road treatment capabilities, and roads usually are functioning well within a couple hours of the end of a storm, especially limited access highways such as interstates. While blizzard conditions can disrupt traffic and possibly lead to closures, even six inches of snow is rapidly dealt with in Greater Cleveland with conditions rapidly returning to normal.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...nter_snow.html

See post 14 in this thread for the experiences of a Florida transplant family that spent one winter living just east of Cleveland on the western edge of the northeast Ohio snow belt.

<< Snow removal was on point. They definitely know what they are doing. Even though it was a mild winter, snow/ice was NEVER a problem.>>

Compendium of threads & posts on Univ. Circle, Cleveland Hts., Shaker Ht., Univ. Hts., Beachwood area

Last edited by WRnative; 01-13-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I know! What's “the snow effect now?”

Buying investment property closer to the lake will be a greater investment for the OP. That poster has it all wrong. There are big beautiful homes all along the lake. They don’t care about snow.
Snowfall totals are lower near the lake because of the much lower altitudes than further south. The winds on the other hand can be brutal.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-13-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Snowfall totals are lower near the lake because of the much lower altitudes than further south. The winds on the other hand can be brutal.
Hey, tell me about it.

I live about a mile from the lake. Less snow for us more wind last night. Howling like a banshee. Especially high up on the sixth floor where I am. All's quiet today.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Get a grip. Obviously it was about snow on great lakes.
Regardless, point of thread not about snow, the Great Lakes, Lansing, MI, Erie, PA, or your personal experience with any of these topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland