Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 AM

171 posts, read 148,722 times

Advertisements

Even Macy's isn't really Macy's any more. When I first moved to the East, I used to LOVE going to Macy's. But I think it got taken over by a major conglomerate who kept the name but nothing else. Haven't shopped there in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
It was the wonderful Bon Marche in Seattle but you're right. Still miss it and Macy's is inferior in many ways.
Oh yes, I had forgotten it was the Bon Marche not M&F’s. Gosh, it’s been so long.

Macy’s in its new form just turned every great old store into a cookie cutter looking stereotype. I’m just now traveling back from Charleston West VA. There’s a Macy’s in a mall accross the street from the hotel where my friends and I stayed. They were bemoaning the fact that the Macy’s had replaced their beloved Higby’s.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
I wanted to share this article that appeared in today’s Washington Post because it’s a good example of the angst that people in the so-called “cool” cities feel about growth. While you guys are complaining about “why can’t Cleveland be more like the cooler cities on the coasts”, articles like this are appearing in the newspapers of the “cooler” cities.

This one has a unique perspective since it is about D.C., our nation’s capital. Thus, the growth (and change of culture that comes with it) has implications not only for D.C. but for the entire country:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.de62fb50d1a2
Interesting article. It's ironic that some of us are complaining that the city hasn't been one of the discovered cities by the national media or big businesses and corporations. Meanwhile, one of the discovered cities is complaining about the burdens of being one of the more discovered cities.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:05 PM

Along the lines of how to get over the inferiority complex, note that this woman was traveling from Philadelphia to get the best possible medical care she could--in CLEVELAND:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f24c135d4b98

Old 05-07-2018, 03:38 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
Along the lines of how to get over the inferiority complex, note that this woman was traveling from Philadelphia to get the best possible medical care she could--in CLEVELAND:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f24c135d4b98
Well heck, everyone knows that the Cleveland Clinic is among the best in the world. Arabian royalty have been flying there from halfway around the world for treatment for decades.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:00 PM

I think after all is said and done, I believe very few Clevelanders have an actual inferior complex about their city. I bet if a poll were to be taken, the numbers would not be very large.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:46 PM

For those with inferiority complexes this might make you feel a little better.

Cleveland Is A Safe Haven From Natural Disasters

Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
For those with inferiority complexes this might make you feel a little better.

Cleveland Is A Safe Haven From Natural Disasters

I think I posted about this earlier on this thread. Nice to see it supported by an article though.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM

227 posts, read 197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think after all is said and done, I believe very few Clevelanders have an actual inferior complex about their city. I bet if a poll were to be taken, the numbers would not be very large.
Again, I think OP's observation is not wrong nor unwarranted. It was one of the first things we noticed when we moved here 8 months ago and if you look at any online forum or comment section you'll see a trove of CLE self-hating and critiquing...

Now, I would assume that many of these people are part of the white flight culture who live in the exurbs and rarely actually enjoy what the area has to offer... And it's true that you'll see this to some degree in other places as well... However, not to the degree I've witnessed here.

So rallying on about how OP is wrong seems suspect at best. CLE suffers an image problem with outsiders and insiders, period. It's super obvious!

Again, we're happy about our move here and we've already enjoyed much of what the area has to offer... but it's clear the area is coming out of a pretty rough patch in its time and lots of people are still cognizant of that... and maybe a smaller minority are fearful the area is returning down that road.

Acting like these sentiments don't exist makes me wonder if YOU'RE not the one out of touch.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Again, I think OP's observation is not wrong nor unwarranted. It was one of the first things we noticed when we moved here 8 months ago and if you look at any online forum or comment section you'll see a trove of CLE self-hating and critiquing...

Now, I would assume that many of these people are part of the white flight culture who live in the exurbs and rarely actually enjoy what the area has to offer... And it's true that you'll see this to some degree in other places as well... However, not to the degree I've witnessed here.

So rallying on about how OP is wrong seems suspect at best. CLE suffers an image problem with outsiders and insiders, period. It's super obvious!

Again, we're happy about our move here and we've already enjoyed much of what the area has to offer... but it's clear the area is coming out of a pretty rough patch in its time and lots of people are still cognizant of that... and maybe a smaller minority are fearful the area is returning down that road.

Acting like these sentiments don't exist makes me wonder if YOU'RE not the one out of touch.

In Minverah's defense, she's a CLE transplant just like you, she moved from Portland so she has a whole different perspective on CLE unlike me who has lived here all my life. She's probably met a different group of Clevelanders who don't share those views.

The image problem with the outsiders is that way because they cling to the old stereotypes through hearsay and the national media. In fact, it's very lazy. It's ironic that people who are from big "progressive" cities are so closed minded. The insiders image problem is because they never lived anywhere else and they the grass is greener mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland