U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,511,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
I've spent more time in Birdtown recently and the neighborhoods are looking really nice. Specifically Mars between Madison and 90 area.
Mars is not Birdtown. Not even close.

Birdtown's western boundary is Halstead Avenue.

I do agree that Birdtown has been on the upswing in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 PM

51 posts, read 61,994 times
Any thoughts on these streets that are west of Warren and south of Madison going towards I 90? Wascana, Lakewood Heights, Lincoln. I’m also checking out a top floor unit in a four family on Clifton, corner of Cook. Great location for walking places, downside is coin laundry and parking on street. I’ll see for myself in a few days but always good to get locals’ perspective.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,569,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Birdtown is gaining a ton of popularity right now, so don't necessarily write it off if you find something you like there.
Agreed. Birdtown, and even the streets just north of it, are heating up. It's a high-density, walkable neighborhood with a mix of multi-unit residences (duplex's, flats and small apartment walk-ups) along a growing mixed-use retail strip along Madison. It's a very walk-able neighborhood which is just a few blocks from the W. 117th Rapid station as well (12-minute train ride to downtown, 10 mins to Ohio City, the airport and even cross-town to Little Italy/University Circle ... and connections to Blue Green Lines to the Flats, Shaker Square and elsewhere...)

Lots of pluses to Birdtown, in addition to the big box retail along W. 117 (walking distance), and close to other Lakewood assets like the Gold Coast, Downtown Lakewood, the Madison retail strip to the west and, of course, the trendy/upscale Edgewater neighborhood just across the Cleveland border, east, including Edgewater Park.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,055,484 times
See post 14 in this thread for bus service connections to the West 117th-Madison Red Line station.

Best Neighborhoods for Public Transport

Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,180,406 times
People have long talked about the northwest quadrant, especially realtors, being the so-called good part of Lakewood. Farthest part of Lakewood from the "big bad city."
You may prefer a more funky hip urban vibe. If that's you, I'd go southeast.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM

51 posts, read 61,994 times
One possibility there, also south central on a well kept street, and northeast....rentals are hot now just about all over. On the whole, city looks good...here now.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:36 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,271,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I love Lakewood, but the freak-and-weirdo quotient is getting really out of hand... to the point of being creepy.
If you posted this on the New York City forum, you'd have people moving to Lakewood instantly.

On that forum, people say the same thing about Chelsea or the East Village...but in the opposite sense, i.e. there aren't enough anymore!

Old 07-23-2018, 02:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,511,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
If you posted this on the New York City forum, you'd have people moving to Lakewood instantly.

On that forum, people say the same thing about Chelsea or the East Village...but in the opposite sense, i.e. there aren't enough anymore!
There are weirdos and then there are weirdos. Some are fun to be around; others are merely annoying. In today's Lakewood, I see mostly the latter.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:13 AM

48 posts, read 27,315 times
Interesting to read all of the comments, since I have, the past several months, been spending hours on the internet, mostly checking Lakewood. The housing market (sale) seems to be appealing to me and many in my price range. I must have public transportation and walkability--I have not (will not) kept a car for over 20 years. Just a personal preference.
I wanted a city-type atmosphere, with trees. shops, cafes, restaurants. buses on every corner, etc. Downtown is out of my price range. I want to purchase. I have checked pretty extensively downtown market for purchase.

Hearing about "weirdos", etc. in Lakewood puzzles--don't know what kind of weirdos you mean, do you mean pervs.?? I must not encounter too many strange/dangerous people, since I will be walking, buses. etc.
Feedback?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 PM

20,865 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
Interesting to read all of the comments, since I have, the past several months, been spending hours on the internet, mostly checking Lakewood. The housing market (sale) seems to be appealing to me and many in my price range. I must have public transportation and walkability--I have not (will not) kept a car for over 20 years. Just a personal preference.
I wanted a city-type atmosphere, with trees. shops, cafes, restaurants. buses on every corner, etc. Downtown is out of my price range. I want to purchase. I have checked pretty extensively downtown market for purchase.

Hearing about "weirdos", etc. in Lakewood puzzles--don't know what kind of weirdos you mean, do you mean pervs.?? I must not encounter too many strange/dangerous people, since I will be walking, buses. etc.
Feedback?

So, here's my experience in Lakewood.

I am 72 years old, retired and living downtown at the Westerly Apts. I've lived here for two years. To date I have not seen what I would consider to be weirdos but then again I moved here from Portland, OR just a few years ago so maybe I have a high weirdo tolerance but I don't think that's it. I just don't think there are that many weird people here. Those that are seen harmless.

I don't drive so I take either the bus or Senior Transportation. I walk all over downtown but don't get out much in the neighborhoods. I can walk to Lakewood Park. I can take one of two buses to downtown Cleveland or transfer to the Rapid.

Bus service is good on main street, Detroit Ave. in downtown Lakewwood, not so much anywhere else. Only one connecting bus North and South on one street, Warren. That would be Madison, a street with lots of shops and some restaurants.

I have been to other areas of Lakewood by car when I was driven around but I haven't seen bus service in any of them.

Anyway, my experience. I guess everyone's will be different. So take it for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or