Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM

538 posts, read 658,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think it's just real estate hype... they're the only ones I've ever heard use that name... but IMO you can call the neighborhood North Birdtown if you want.
I meant your assessment on my take of the neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I meant your assessment on my take of the neighborhood
I'd say your take is pretty much accurate, although it should be noted that the neighborhood is part of Lakewood's "East End", which is the relatively high-crime part of the city. But it's not at all bad in an absolute sense... and I think the eastern area between Franklin and Madison is better than the area between Detroit and Franklin. I do like some of the cool new businesses that have been sprouting up on Madison in the Birdtown area in recent years. I'm much more comfortable in that part of town than I was many years ago. I do wish bus service on Madison were more frequent.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:12 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
^How about a new nickname similar to the trend: "NOBI" ... North of Birdtown

Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Saturday, I took a Red Line Rapid ride to W. 117, then walked over to Birdtown, which I hadn't visited in 4-5 years. This was my first time taking transit there. A couple takes:

- Taking the Rapid there is EASY. It seems further away on the map, but I was in the core of Birdtown comfortably (in the humid heat) in 6 minutes, easily.

- Surprised at the amount of foot traffic, street vibe. No it's a ways from being Ohio City, Tremont or even downtown Lakewood on Detroit a mile or so away, but there was considerably more vitality than I'd imagined; it's just laid back -- it's kind of like Larchmere on the East Side in that sense -- I even saw an antiques store on Madison.

-- The Birdtown housing, both north and south of Madison, was in much better shape than I'd imagined. No decay; no foreclosure/abandonment, lawns were well kept -- including several scenic, nicely done gardens... In short, there's solid old housing there, including some Cleveland doubles, side-by-sides and a few brick apartments (including those ubiquitous, faceless 50s-60s International Style apt blocks you see all over town). But all was well cared for; hardly the run-down ghetto some snooty folks would have you believe.

-- Very diverse racially, ethnically; lots of millennial and even those dreaded hipsters.

-- Birdtown looks to be the next "thing" neighborhood. Along Madison in the commercial district in the old mixed-use buildings, a couple stores (including a Bi-Rite, I think) were closed and being gutted; one clearly is being converted into a bar, brewpub and/or restaurant. Others seem poised to follow. All in all, very promising for this once forgotten neighborhood built by the neighboring Union Carbide factory...

Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Saturday, I took a Red Line Rapid ride to W. 117, then walked over to Birdtown, which I hadn't visited in 4-5 years. This was my first time taking transit there. A couple takes:

- Taking the Rapid there is EASY. It seems further away on the map, but I was in the core of Birdtown comfortably (in the humid heat) in 6 minutes, easily.

- Surprised at the amount of foot traffic, street vibe. No it's a ways from being Ohio City, Tremont or even downtown Lakewood on Detroit a mile or so away, but there was considerably more vitality than I'd imagined; it's just laid back -- it's kind of like Larchmere on the East Side in that sense -- I even saw an antiques store on Madison.

-- The Birdtown housing, both north and south of Madison, was in much better shape than I'd imagined. No decay; no foreclosure/abandonment, lawns were well kept -- including several scenic, nicely done gardens... In short, there's solid old housing there, including some Cleveland doubles, side-by-sides and a few brick apartments (including those ubiquitous, faceless 50s-60s International Style apt blocks you see all over town). But all was well cared for; hardly the run-down ghetto some snooty folks would have you believe.

-- Very diverse racially, ethnically; lots of millennial and even those dreaded hipsters.

-- Birdtown looks to be the next "thing" neighborhood. Along Madison in the commercial district in the old mixed-use buildings, a couple stores (including a Bi-Rite, I think) were closed and being gutted; one clearly is being converted into a bar, brewpub and/or restaurant. Others seem poised to follow. All in all, very promising for this once forgotten neighborhood built by the neighboring Union Carbide factory...
Keep NoBI a secret!

You are totally correct, at least about the housing between Madison and Franklin. Have not gotten to south of Madison yet.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Keep NoBI a secret!

Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Please, keep the word in Lakewood to not go east of Bunts!

Last edited by usernameunavailable; 09-03-2018 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 09-05-2018, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 6,971 times
Quote:

I agree, I think Birdtown is the next "big thing". With the west side of Lakewood becoming more and more unaffordable, the only way to go is east...

Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 PM

25 posts, read 19,771 times
Read through the thread - lots of good information on Birdtown and downtown Lakewood. Does anyone have info on other neighborhoods of Lakewood? Didn't realize there were so many... These are the ones I found from City Data:

Beach Court, Berkshire, Birdtown, Captains Cove, Clifton Boulevard, Clifton Park, Clifton Prado, Detroit, Downtown Lakewood, Edgewater Towers, Elbur, Envoy, Gold Coast, Highland House, Hilliard Triangle, Lake Avenue, Lake House, Lakewood, Lakewood Heights, Lakewood Park, Madison, Madison Village, Rockport Square, Silver Coast, The Edge, Waterford, West End, Winton

If anyone can sum up a general "vibe", safety, and walkability... that would be awesome!

Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I didn't know/had forgotten that the downtown store was the third location. It is possible that the downtown story carries a different inventory, as Geiger's has a history of very differentiated inventory in its various stores. E.g., the following article says that the Chagrin Falls and Lakewood stores carry some sporting goods.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/i...eland_sto.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%27s
I believe the Lakewood location is the first location. They are a local family I know and live in Lakewood. Great store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland