Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
We take for granted our high murder rate. Polititians/leaders of Cleveland just assume Cleveland will always be in the top 10 highest murder cities per capita. Because no one wants to talk about the hard reality of the break up of American families in my opinion. So we just talk about the orchestra, playhouse square Broadway theater shows, our ethnic food, the lake and sunsets, The Metroparks etc. etc.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...fourth_ho.html
So true. The west side is the new east side as western Cuyahoga County residents are moving into Lorain and Medina counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
We take for granted our high murder rate. Polititians/leaders of Cleveland just assume Cleveland will always be in the top 10 highest murder cities per capita.
Cleveland's murder rate is pretty bad, but according to the following list (2017), its per capita rate doesn't even crack the top 30:

The 30 cities with the highest murder rates in the US

Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 6,972 times
I think the affordability of housing, great investment opportunities, and the Metroparks are all things Clevelanders take for granted.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanThomasCPA View Post
I think the affordability of housing, great investment opportunities, and the Metroparks are all things Clevelanders take for granted.
I agree.

Too many people look at cities that have more things than CLE and complain about not having this and that but those people should also compare Cleveland to cities in which there are fewer advantages to realize what we do have here.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Cleveland's murder rate is pretty bad, but according to the following list (2017), its per capita rate doesn't even crack the top 30:

The 30 cities with the highest murder rates in the US
Cleveland and Newark were not included in the FBI numbers with the link you posted. Cleveland has fallen in the top 10 per capita murder cities for decades now.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...st-u-s-cities/

Last report I saw this week Cleveland was at 97 murders already this year. They're on track for 130 murders just like last year.

If Cleveland ends up with another 130 homicides this year like last year the murder rate will be very high again !
130 murders divided by Cleveland population of 385,000 = 33.7 murders per 100,000. this will easily keep Cleveland in the top 10 again for 2018

Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Cleveland and Newark were not included in the FBI numbers with the link you posted. Cleveland has fallen in the top 10 per capita murder cities for decades now.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...st-u-s-cities/

Last report I saw this week Cleveland was at 97 murders already this year. They're on track for 130 murders just like last year.

If Cleveland ends up with another 130 homicides this year like last year the murder rate will be very high again !
130 murders divided by Cleveland population of 385,000 = 33.7 murders per 100,000. this will easily keep Cleveland in the top 10 again for 2018
Everyone in Cleveland needs to step up to curb the murder rate in the city. But, dude create your own forum about it or write a blog. Focus on the subject at hand.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree.

Too many people look at cities that have more things than CLE and complain about not having this and that but those people should also compare Cleveland to cities in which there are fewer advantages to realize what we do have here.
In your opinion, why do you think people tend to do it? And I definitely agree with you that people should compare Cleveland to other cities that don't have as much and realize that every city, even the glamorous ones, don't have everything.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
In your opinion, why do you think people tend to do it? And I definitely agree with you that people should compare Cleveland to other cities that don't have as much and realize that every city, even the glamorous ones, don't have everything.
I don't know. I can only guess. For some the grass will always be greener. Everyone else must have it better, we don't have anything good, etc, etc. I think it must go deeper than just geography. It's a basic unhappiness with their personal lives so they blame it on their location. How many people have posted on CD who believed their lives would magically change for the better after they moved to a new place only to find they weren't any happier after they did?

Anyone so unhappy with where they live that they became obsessed with every negative about it needs to find out why they are really unhappy. If it truly is because of where they live, they need to either find a more suitable place or if that isn't possible try to find better things about where they are at present.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:59 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times
What is this "TOD" that a host of posters in this thread are referring to? What does it mean?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
What is this "TOD" that a host of posters in this thread are referring to? What does it mean?
Transit-oriented development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transi...ed_development

Transit Oriented Development

In Cleveland, most posters are talking about real estate development close to, or convenient with feeder bus lines, to the city's rail rapid stations, but also the 24-7 Healthline bus rapid.

The goal is to be able to function well without owning a personal vehicle, or perhaps owning only one personal vehicle for a family, or perhaps minimizing use of a personal vehicle, and also to create a "walkable" existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: