Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times

Advertisements

I have read on CLE forums here on CD from Cleveland residents and out-of-towners that Clevelanders take certain things for granted such as certain amenities. In your opinion, what are the things that Clevelanders take for granted that we should embrace more? In fact, what should be highlighted more in the Positively Cleveland videos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,394 times
Four season weather. Very light traffic. Extremely low cost of living (at least as reflected in housing prices). Great cultural amenities (especially for a city of CLE's size).

Old 07-21-2018, 10:10 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
*Edgewater Park and the Edgewater neighborhood, the latter being one of the cool,diverse and interesting old urbanized neighborhoods in the Midwest. Surprisingly Positively Cleveland totally ignores Edgewater in their promotional booklet and on their city kiosk/maps around downtown. This puzzling while, justifiably such as Ohio City, University Circle and Detroit-Shoreway are Cleveland has to offer.

*Rail Rapid Transit (as opposed to the Health Line BRT, which some feel is RTA's best). For some stupid reason some local officials, promoters and businesses think it's cool to act as if the Rapid is no big deal, almost to the point they act as though it doesn't exist. Even in places that are obvious TOD, like the new Centric apartments about to come on Line, the Van Aken apts and the La Colina apts which is being build a few blocks from Centric, their promotional websites barely mention rail transit as an amenity ... if at all. Unfortunately I think some people have bought into the idea that RTA is for the poor and Blacks and that, for these reasons, it is dangerous. And greater Cleveland continues to sprawl as leaders promote development at the fringes of our mass transit network ... and in some cases, like the new Tri-C Westlake location, not served by mass transit at all; not even buses. How foolish is it to locate a community college away from any mass transit when a great many of their students don't own cars!? ... or can't really afford them at the time. I don't get it when many large to medium sized American city would love to have what Cleveland already has, in terms of rail.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
I love the rail in CLE and boast about it out here. I have taken every line. Never an issue. Agree! There should be a WAY more mentions of this with these new developments going at Van Aken and such.

You literally could live in many places in and around CLE and never need a car.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
It's actually kinda enraging how people in Cleveland don't use public transit. It's so much more comfortable than almost anywhere else (the Rapid, less so the bus). Having grown up in the Heights, I am very sad to say that my friends do not ever use the rapid to go downtown, instead driving and paying for parking. Makes no sense to me.

You guys also don't appreciate the high culture. At all. Low cost of living too. Or really the culture in general. You don't always feel comfortable saying hi to people in other parts of the country.

Just understand that you have something nice. It's a blessing that other people don't recognize it, in many ways.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Four season weather. Very light traffic.
It depends when and where you're going. Rush hour in downtown, in University Circle and along several freeways (I-271, 480 and I-77). It's popular to say Cleveland traffic is light, but that isn't always the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Extremely low cost of living (at least as reflected in housing prices). Great cultural amenities (especially for a city of CLE's size).
Remember, when a lot of Cleveland's cultural amenities were established, the city was 3 times it's current size with nearly 1 million people inside its 76-sq mile borders.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:13 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
Hamilton actor would say Heinen's downtown

https://twitter.com/NikkyWalks/statu...39808860868610

Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Just throwing a few exceptional attractions out there that many Clevelanders never visit:

1) The Steamship Mather and the U.S.S. Cod, arguably the best Great Lakes freighter museum (the Mather is an ASME mechanical engineering landmark) and the Cod, frozen in mid-century form with working engines, is often acclaimed as the best WWII U.S. fleet submarine museum, especially given access using the original hatches and ladders.

2) Holden Arboretum and the Lake County Metroparks Farmpark, both in Kirtland.

3) The James A. Garfield National Historic Park in Mentor.

4) Shaker Square restaurants such as the Balaton, EDWINS, and Fire. It's a great trip to Shaker Square from Tower City on the Blue or Green rail rapid lines.

While regional attractions such as Cedar Point, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and the Lake Erie islands are well known, even though few Clevelanders ever visit Kelleys Island with its glacial grooves, here are some other excellent regional attractions many Clevelanders never visit.

1) Ohio Amish Country.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...h.Country.html

2) Malabar Farm State Park, with its Big House, a Hollywood escape, frozen in its mid-20th century glory. See Mohican Region here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

3) Few Clevelanders visit Stan Hywet Hall in Akron or the Grand River wineries (see discussions in the above travel article).

4) Presque Isle and Waldameer Park are great day trips and even better for a weekend (also discussed in the travel article linked in 3).

5) Attend an event at the Blossom Music Festival at the superb Blossom Music Center.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
^ Yep. And a lot of Cleveland natives complain there's "nothing to do" in Cleveland or Ohio at large. It's laughable.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Hamilton actor would say Heinen's downtown

https://twitter.com/NikkyWalks/statu...39808860868610
Very nice. Heinen's downtown is a gem on so many levels. Just having a supermarket of that caliber and the E. 9th/Euclid location are great in themselves... but that Cleveland Trust atrium just blows everyone away, the food court, the 2nd level wine bar, etc -- there's simply few, if any, supermarkets like this in America. Glad 'Aaron Burr' loved it so much, which is awesome publicity from one of the stars of America's top play... I'm definitely sharing this with my Philadelphia (and elsewhere) friends who simply think me, alone, is a homer/promoter. Always nice to have outsiders cosign what so many of us here already know and appreciate about the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: