Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 12:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times

Advertisements

Cleveland in November 1968 became the first city in the Western Hemisphere to offer rail mass transit service between its major airport and downtown.

RTA Celebrates 50 years of direct Red Line service to the Airport | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:05 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
Good: The red line's linking Little Italy to downtown and the airport. Not shabby.
Bad: A lack of Rapid patronage and nominal state funding. Sooner or later, we are going to lose the green or blue line.
Improvable: More security on the trains and buses. Raise the rates as high as needed to afford it.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Good: The red line's linking Little Italy to downtown and the airport. Not shabby.
Bad: A lack of Rapid patronage and nominal state funding. Sooner or later, we are going to lose the green or blue line.
Improvable: More security on the trains and buses. Raise the rates as high as needed to afford it.
This is why it is imperative for people to get out and vote for Richard Cordray for governor. A vote for DeWine signals more of the same and the slow death of our transit system as we know it (along with a bunch of other creepy Trump-ian, right wing stuff like killing Obamacare period in the state)…

The transit situation, alone, makes me surprised and disappointed why Clevleanders, in particular, aren't more enthusiastic and beating the drum for Cordray. I'm sick and tired of those backwards, Stone Age down staters running a comeback, quality city like Cleveland into the ground with their myopic, narrow-minded pols.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
So glad the Little Italy stop became a reality (finally).
I can't imagine Cleveland without a green or blue. Don't ever see that part of Cleveland history leaving anytime soon. But who knows?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I really doubt the Green and blue lines will ever go away. If they do, I think it's likely a symptom of much larger economic difficulties.

That being said, the RTA needs more funding. In general, I am not a big advocate for public funding of much, but transit is one of the few things that I certainly think pays off greatly, if done with a modicum of sensibility.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:53 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
This is why it is imperative for people to get out and vote for Richard Cordray for governor. A vote for DeWine signals more of the same and the slow death of our transit system as we know it (along with a bunch of other creepy Trump-ian, right wing stuff like killing Obamacare period in the state)…
Has Cordray made any specific commitments regarding transit? Has DeWine?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 AM

378 posts, read 342,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Yes.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...sportatio.html

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...ng-on-cota-bus

Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I haven't heard specifics, and it's our collective fault as Dems and progressives, for not pressing the issue. But I'm pretty sure he's on the record as offering more money to urban areas to address certain infrastructure aspects, and I'm 90% certain he said transit is one of them.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really doubt the Green and blue lines will ever go away. If they do, I think it's likely a symptom of much larger economic difficulties.

That being said, the RTA needs more funding. In general, I am not a big advocate for public funding of much, but transit is one of the few things that I certainly think pays off greatly, if done with a modicum of sensibility.
I agree with you. On the one hand, the new high-density Van Aken District is just opening at the end of the Blue Line and planners are expecting increased rail traffic to serve it. And the Green Line, though very weak during many parts of the day beyond rush hour, has a unique purpose, that is to serve distant eastern suburbs with its large, free parking lot at the Green Road terminal with easy access ... Shaker Blvd beyond is a light traffic, traffic light free, roadway that feeds directly into the lot with a grade-separated ramp under Green Road.

Last year RTA tinkered with closing the Green Line early -- at 9p on non Cavs/Indians' home game nights... But that policy was reversed and trains run until midnight once again even with Ohio's transit-starving budgets and falling sales tax revenues. The service that continues to have a target on its back is the Waterfront Line even though its 2-mile downtown service runs up the least costs ... by far ... of the 5 rail branches and has great potential once Phase 3 of the Flats East Bank project gets built ... and not what Joe Calabrese is no longer RTA GM.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Thank you.

Quote:
Cordray wants Ohio to join 25 other states in creating a dedicated source of transit funds. He also wants to promote walkable neighborhoods, carpooling and other means toward mobility. He plans to re-establish an office in Washington, D.C., to lobby for transit funds and other Ohio needs.

Transit is often seen as an urban need. Twenty-seven of Ohio's 88 counties have no public transit. But Cordray wants to extend it to rural areas, where people tend to live further from vital destinations.
I really like the idea of lobbying DC. In an ideal world, more of our money would stay in Ohio to begin with, but since so much of it is going to the federal government, and that's not something that will be changing anytime soon, we might as well put in a solid effort to get a lot of it back.

As for the 27 rural counties, I wonder if some sort of statewide dial-a-ride system would be the most efficient way to run it. Most of these counties are probably adjacent to each other. Another option would be to offer incentives to the existing transit agencies to run an express route connecting the major cities to rural county seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland