Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times

Advertisements

My list, in order, Kiefer's (Wienerschnitzel), Hough Bakeries (everything), The Theatrical (prime rib, show bar, clientele -- Cleveland's A-list), Top of the Town (awesome view and the bar there was my favorite in all of Cleveland)), Watermark (best patio in Cleveland), New York Spaghetti House (Fetuccini Alfredo), Sammy's in the Flats (great food, great views) Captain Frank's had a great location, but I don't remember the food being particular good. I couldn't get the full list to load, but I didn't see Kiefer's on the list. Fagan's is memorable, but not great food. I would add Kenny's Kings, great steakburgers long before Steak 'n Shake and local Kentucky Fried Chicken license. The old Cabin in Willowick before a large fire destroyed the old real wood restaurant and the menu was changed from a classical steak house fare and its great T-bone steaks became history. Swingo's definitely belonged on the list as well. Jim's Steakhouse at Calamity Bend in the Flats also is greatly missed. Actually, thinking about it, I wasn't that impressed with this list given the serious omissions.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-...2box_targeted_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
I miss earth by april, which was in the Cedar/Lee area of Cleveland Heights back in the '80s. That place taught me to like vegetables such as cauliflower and zucchini, which I had never liked before.

I also miss the New York Spaghetti House. And the Spaghetti Warehouse that used to be in the Flats. (Although a quick Google search revealed there is still one in Akron, along with a number of locations across the country... I never realized it was a chain.)

I miss Lenard's which used to be on Madison in Lakewood (where the Buckeye Beer Engine is now). Also the old Miller's in Lakewood which burned down around 1996 or so (famous for their sticky buns).

I'll post more when I think of them.

Speaking of Sammy's, back in the '80s I had a roommate who worked there. (I never got around to trying the place.)

Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I miss earth by april, which was in the Cedar/Lee area of Cleveland Heights back in the '80s. That place taught me to like vegetables such as cauliflower and zucchini, which I had never liked before.

I also miss the New York Spaghetti House. And the Spaghetti Warehouse that used to be in the Flats. (Although a quick Google search revealed there is still one in Akron, along with a number of locations across the country... I never realized it was a chain.)

I miss Lenard's which used to be on Madison in Lakewood (where the Buckeye Beer Engine is now). Also the old Miller's in Lakewood which burned down around 1996 or so (famous for their sticky buns).

I'll post more when I think of them.

Speaking of Sammy's, back in the '80s I had a roommate who worked there. (I never got around to trying the place.)
Earth by April was AWESOME (great food, and an even better name). Earth by April also a hip & coll clientele with '60s sensibilities. It was a quintessential "Heights" restaurant in that sense... I had a veggie GF at the time who swore by the place. I was really sad to see it close.

The Top of the Town was a family Go-To restaurant in Cleveland that I still miss... I'm hearing, though, with the potential renovation of Erieview into apts, they're toying with the idea of reviving the TOTT. I couldn't be happier... I will say that the 2-year-old Bar 32 in the new Hilton, with it's amazing downtown/Lake views plus the open air portion TOTT didn't have, is making me miss the latter a little bit less.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:14 PM

My fondest memory of Top of the Town was a friend taking me there after work for drinks on my 21st birthday.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:32 PM

And, on my 23rd birthday, my boyfriend at the time took me to Theresa's for dinner. It was a fine Italian restaurant on Murray Hill in Little Italy. I miss it.

Back in those days there was also an Italian restaurant called Palmina's at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Berea Road, right across the street from the Rapid station. We went there one evening for dinner and it was better than I had expected for that area. A somewhat hidden gem. I returned there some years later with a friend of mine who was living nearby on West Boulevard at the time.

A Taste of Thailand was at Madison Avenue and Warren Road in Lakewood back in the day. It was my very first introduction to Thai food.

Down the street just a little way, at Madison and Belle Avenues, was Player's Pizza and Pasta. A great place that served up gourmet specialty pizzas with unusual toppings.

I miss It's It Deli which was on Clifton Boulevard around West 115th Street. (I think there's a Chinese place in that space now.) I'd sometimes pop in there for a quick bite to eat. My signature meal there was Cream of Broccoli Soup with a slice of zucchini cake.

Further down on Clifton, at West 112th Street, was a coffee and pastry shop called Truffles. I liked hanging out there with friends, and even met a blind date or two there back in the day.

The Leather Bottel had two locations in downtown Cleveland, curiously within two blocks of each other. One was in the basement at 100 Erieview Plaza; the other was on Rockwell just west of East 9th Street. I worked in the Erieview complex in those years and my work group would frequently go to one or the other for special occasions. It was like an old English pub inside, very medieval, and all the entrees had English names, such as steaks named the King Richard or the King Charles. I used to ignore the steaks and usually got the Fish and Fenwick Fries instead. Or once in awhile a very large burger. I had my first green beer there one St. Patrick's Day with two coworkers. (I expected it to be minty-tasting. LOL) Fond memories.

Last edited by andrew61; 08-14-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM

19 posts, read 81,455 times
Spaghetti Company and Jimmy Dadonnas in Solon
Cleveland PM in Valley View

Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM

17 posts, read 13,027 times
One of my favorites was the Italian Gardens in Mentor. It used to be Quagliatas White House just as I moved to the area in 1979. (Just learned that the Spaghetti Company in Solon ImpactPlaya mentioned was owned by the same family.)

Of course I miss all of the Flats spots: The Watermark, Fagans, Sammy's, Spaghetti Warehouse, etc...

Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,229,993 times
Primo Vino in Little Italy, Otto Moser's, and as Andrew61 said above, Truffle's on Clifton. The kind of niche neighborhood place that you miss when it's gone.
Also....Kluck's on W. 117th (old-school uniformed waiter captains even around 2000-2001, and the best cole slaw!), and certainly Ferris Steak House (the original one, not that sports bar-like place in the old Rockcliffe in Rocky River....heck, what about the Rockcliffe?) at W. 85th and Detroit. Still the best filet mignon I had, anywhere, was at the original.
How about the original Clifton Diner? Goodman's Corned Beef at Pearl and Brookpark. Mi Pueblo and Sahara, both different ethnic restaurants but near each other at W. 125th and Lorain.
How about the fabulous Mel Rose's Taverne of Richfield, as Joe Tait used to announce on the radio? After years of hearing Joe hype it on AM 1100 WWWE back in the 70's during Cavs broadcasts, had to go there. Was NOT disappointed at all!!! Awesome. But like so many other places, RIP.
And speaking of fine dining, why did White Castle just up and leave the entire Cleveland/Akron metro? Judging from the 2 am drive-thru line, they always did fine business.
Farther away......here's a couple. I'm no vegan, but rocker Chrissie Hynde's Vegiterranean in Akron near Luigi's was terrific and sorely missed. I think it just got there a few years before the hipsters. Moss's Prime Rib in Elyria was another road-trip-worthy joint.
Haven't been to Sterle's in years, but since it got sold several years back, I'd bet it's not the same.
Truly regret not having experienced Kiefer's, and I mean that with my German-American dad who raved about it as truly Cleveland (and remembered it as the Schwarzwalden before their wartime-triggered name change and loved the oompah music there).
I know there's others, but they're not coming to mind. A great town to have a 50% off Entertainment Card and coupon book back in the day!

Last edited by kpl1228; 03-09-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
My list, in order, Kiefer's (Wienerschnitzel), Hough Bakeries (everything), The Theatrical (prime rib, show bar, clientele -- Cleveland's A-list), Top of the Town (awesome view and the bar there was my favorite in all of Cleveland)), Watermark (best patio in Cleveland), New York Spaghetti House (Fetuccini Alfredo), Sammy's in the Flats (great food, great views) Captain Frank's had a great location, but I don't remember the food being particular good. I couldn't get the full list to load, but I didn't see Kiefer's on the list. Fagan's is memorable, but not great food. I would add Kenny's Kings, great steakburgers long before Steak 'n Shake and local Kentucky Fried Chicken license. The old Cabin in Willowick before a large fire destroyed the old real wood restaurant and the menu was changed from a classical steak house fare and its great T-bone steaks became history. Swingo's definitely belonged on the list as well. Jim's Steakhouse at Calamity Bend in the Flats also is greatly missed. Actually, thinking about it, I wasn't that impressed with this list given the serious omissions.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-...2box_targeted_
Here WRnative. Recipes. You're welcome!
https://clevelandmagazine.com/food-drink/articles/kiefer's-restaurant

Old 03-09-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Earth by April was AWESOME (great food, and an even better name). ... I will say that the 2-year-old Bar 32 in the new Hilton, with it's amazing downtown/Lake views plus the open air portion TOTT didn't have, is making me miss the latter a little bit less.
Agreed! My new favorite place in town, along with the 1890 Bar in the Arcade.
The service at Bar 32 is stellar also. Just terrific for a night out or a nightcap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: