U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 4,063,790 times
Reputation: 3492

Advertisements

Lake Metroparks Farmpark reportedly is one of the nation's best.

It has entertaining autumn events.

Lake County Park Event Calendar - Lake Metroparks | Lake Metroparks

Hale Farm is good visit at Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

https://www.wrhs.org/plan-your-visit/hale-farm/

Please report back with reviews of your adventures for the benefit of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 4,063,790 times
Reputation: 3492
Default Correction to post 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Buying a Cleveland Museum of Art membership is a great idea. You get free parking (admission always is free) and free exhibits, as well as a great monthly magazine (which you can read online), discounts at the café and restaurant, and gift shops.
Members get discounted, not free, parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 4,063,790 times
Reputation: 3492
Default TBDBITL Alumni annual reunion; 50th reunion sees 100-year-old band alumni, WWII vet, dot the i

One of the great events in Ohio every September is the annual TBDBITL reunion.

It features likely the world's greatest massed brass marching band performance. This year's event featured a tribute to the 50th reunion, and, as always, the quadruple script Ohio (alumni in red, TBDBITL in black).

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...in-script-ohio

https://myfox28columbus.com/news/loc...on-on-saturday

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/0...ml#incart_2box

Additionally, the TBDBITL reunion typically features a game against a sacrificial opponent (this year, Tulane) in which the Buckeyes traditionally romp. Perhaps it's an evolved, modern psychological equivalent of a Mayan sacrifice. It's certainly spiritual for many Ohioans.

If you're a marching band fan, scrounge up some tickets some year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_S..._Marching_Band


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAk-b3p8ta8

https://tbdbitl.osu.edu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
178 posts, read 154,368 times
Reputation: 178
It sounds like you'd prefer not to drive, which is admirable ... but FWIW, in my opinion there are no neighborhoods in Cleveland that are dangerous to simply drive through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,872 posts, read 22,451,999 times
Reputation: 32620
Just for the record, I am a very older white woman (72) who has taken the Healthline from downtown to the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic and back during off hours and have never felt uncomfortable.

I've even had polite young Black men give me their seats. Of course, most young people ride with their ears plugged into their music and their eyes on their Smartphones so that doesn't always happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2018, 02:44 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just for the record, I am a very older white woman (72) who has taken the Healthline from downtown to the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic and back during off hours and have never felt uncomfortable.

I've even had polite young Black men give me their seats. Of course, most young people ride with their ears plugged into their music and their eyes on their Smartphones so that doesn't always happen.
Yes... Indeed, the irony is that in many, if not most cases on RTA, particularly the buses, riders tend to be quieter/more subdued at night. These folks are often late night workers going home or 3rd shift-ers going into work. These folks, Black or White, are just trying to get on with thier lives and tend not to be about nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Reputation: 1562
Readerwoman, as BJimmy can attest, Cleveland's RTA Rapid echoes The "T" in some aspects, though obviously on a smaller scale. Both systems were born of same general era: Boston's is about 20-or-so years older, but both have major portions built prior to the Depression -- (and both are seriously showing signs of age in many infrastructure aspects). Both are mixed heavy rail and light rail systems with RTA's underground Tower City serving as Cleveland's Park Street, center of downtown hub station. Both have new-ish BRT service supplementing the trains. And the surface portions of RTA's Blue and Green Lines are dead ringers for T Green Lines to Boston College and Cleveland Circle, with center-median trains, spot shopping centers and significant apartment complexes, especially the older ones in/around Shaker Square and Lee Road/Van Aken.

So in some ways, you may feel at home on RTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Reputation: 6588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Readerwoman, as BJimmy can attest, Cleveland's RTA Rapid echoes The "T" in some aspects, though obviously on a smaller scale. Both systems were born of same general era: Boston's is about 20-or-so years older, but both have major portions built prior to the Depression -- (and both are seriously showing signs of age in many infrastructure aspects). Both are mixed heavy rail and light rail systems with RTA's underground Tower City serving as Cleveland's Park Street, center of downtown hub station. Both have new-ish BRT service supplementing the trains. And the surface portions of RTA's Blue and Green Lines are dead ringers for T Green Lines to Boston College and Cleveland Circle, with center-median trains, spot shopping centers and significant apartment complexes, especially the older ones in/around Shaker Square and Lee Road/Van Aken.

So in some ways, you may feel at home on RTA.
Agreed. And living in/around Shaker Square in my opinion is the most Boston-like living experience to have in Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2018, 01:35 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 2,570,265 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Agreed. And living in/around Shaker Square in my opinion is the most Boston-like living experience to have in Cleveland.
Agreed. ... I also think Little Italy, Cedar-University and Ohio City are fast approaching T-ness.

Other points, like W. 117, Van Aken/Warrensville, Lee-Van Aken, W. 65, E. 116, West Blvd and even E. Quincy-E. 105, have potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2018, 07:33 AM
 
5,610 posts, read 6,483,674 times
Reputation: 3180
I don't have any safety concerns riding any of the rail lines.

Shaker Square and Larchmere are definitely worth exploring.

I would probably drive to the Maltz Museum, but you could take the Green line to its terminus and then walk the Shaker Median Trail over to Richmond where the museum is.

As for walking Shaker Heights, I have no safety concerns, but what is your goal? I do recommend it if you are interested in exploring the parks and looking at the architecture around the city, but the business options in Shaker Heights itself are currently a bit lacking. The Van Aken District is still mostly a construction site. Shaker Towne Center is big, but it's just an uninspired strip mall...it's useful, but not really interesting. There's a handful of other small business districts, but nothing particularly noteworthy.

The Nature Center and Shaker Historical Museum might be worth a visit if that interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top