U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:16 PM

6,939 posts, read 9,140,945 times

Advertisements

Here's one quick solution. Why not sell the plant to investors that can produce cheap cars? A likely buyer would be a Chinese company, perhaps as part of the belt-and-road program. Maybe benefits and pensions would need to be cut, wages lowered, and in some cases foreign workers brought in. But it's better than having the plant shut down entirely. The only thing is, Trump would need to back away from his trade war especially if the buyer will be financed by a China state owned company.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 11-28-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:51 PM

182 posts, read 157,993 times
Don't worry ... Donny will wave his magic wand that he keeps telling us about and bring all the industrial jobs back. He alone can fix it!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Don't worry ... Donny will wave his magic wand that he keeps telling us about and bring all the industrial jobs back. He alone can fix it!
I actually think it's possible to bring industrial jobs back without waving a magic wand. But some things have got to give.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM

1,393 posts, read 415,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Here's one quick solution. Why not sell the plant to investors that can produce cheap cars? A likely buyer would be a Chinese company, perhaps as part of the belt-and-road program. Maybe benefits and pensions would need to be cut, wages lowered, and in some cases foreign workers brought in. But it's better than having the plant shut down entirely. The only thing is, Trump would need to back away from his trade war especially if the buyer will be financed by a China state owned company.
I like you attempt to solve the problem, so kudos for that.

Trump's trade war...do you knowo what the trae imbalance is with China? Do you know how much they tax an american car being inported there? Or, other products versus what the U.S.taxes China?

Please study up on these things, and report back to us with your findings.

I think you will change your tune.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I like you attempt to solve the problem, so kudos for that.

Trump's trade war...do you knowo what the trae imbalance is with China? Do you know how much they tax an american car being inported there? Or, other products versus what the U.S.taxes China?

Please study up on these things, and report back to us with your findings.

I think you will change your tune.
I know that even if there was a trade imbalance with China, there are other parts of the US where businesses are expanding. Yes, some with the help of Chinese investors. Time to think about what is good for Ohio. So you are fine with GM Lordstown to staying closed?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,262,000 times
Default Parma GM parts plant may be next

This Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com editorial makes the point that once Lordstown shuts down, the GM Parma parts plant's existence may become very tenuous.

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/in...rt_river_index

Parma already is struggling to support public schools....

Old 11-30-2018, 11:52 AM

4,806 posts, read 7,406,492 times
I keep seeing it said that people don't want small sedans, anymore, and prefer trucks and SUVs. But I wonder, when gas prices go back up, will GM have the capacity to meet the increasing demand for small sedans? Or, will GM's lunch be eaten by foreign manufactures again, like in the 70s?

IMO, it would be better for the Mahoning Valley if GM sells the Lordstown plant to someone who can put it to use. But, it would be better for GM, long-term, for them to mothball the plant, (if they don't retool for production of a different vehicle, there) and reopen it, when demand for small cars increases again.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 AM

11,892 posts, read 9,858,626 times
I think people just don’t want small American cars. They know they’re guaranteed to get something which runs better and lasts longer in a Toyota or Honda.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Aren’t the GM job cuts due to lack of sales related to the car models being permanently eliminated?

Old 11-30-2018, 05:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I see that tax cut created jobs as promised.
Nobody wanted to buy the cars GM eliminated. Changing tastes and usefulness etc killed these models and, therefore created these job losses. Itís nit as if production of these models was being moved to Mexico, Canada, or some other foreign location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland