Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s always been an issue. The Midwest (outside Chicago, maybe) isn’t as glamorous as the coasts or have weather for outdoor activities year-round like the Sunbelt. It’s the same reason Kareem demanded a trade out of Milwaukee back in the day.
Good point. Forgot all about going from Milwaukee to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 03:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Good point. Forgot all about going from Milwaukee to LA.
Well, maybe if you're in the minors or not making a lot of money in the pros.

But if the topic is about the big earners, Cleveland has been able to get what it needs as long as the green is there. The Indians got Edwin E. for $13M without too much problem - 'course he's gone now but that's a different story. Give me $10M and I'll never whine about the weather again.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
First off, the topic is star nba players, not young persons in general. Of course young people want to move to the big cities, the topic is attracting top NBA athletes to the cavs. Still can’t read indeed. LeBron himself was a deterrent to attracting a top star player. Do:you think Kevin Durant wants to be Robin to LeBron’s Batman? It’s about the salary, the game, organization or the part. The city itself and market size could be a factor but the fact that lebron is blanking it all on Cleveland itself is misplaced.

Calling anyone out on an overt obsession with racism in the U.S. let alone this forum: pot meet kettle. Certainly that’s not directed at me as I’m only calling out the overt obsession with name calling and generalizing of certain groups of people and the hypocritical responses or lack thereof in this forum.

So Boston isn’t a racist town? Wow an alleged white liberal sitting in lake county Ohio is defending Boston as not being racist.

Don’t recall you defending people in bruntucky or kamms corners from being labeled, stereotyped, and put down. You mad cuz I called out the poster that maligns kamms corners residents yet goes there to support a business? Or you sore cuz frank Jackson and congresswoman fudge defended and enabled a wife beating turned murderer lance mason? Your white liberal silence on the latter point is noted. Have to say the reaction or lack of one from alleged white liberals when race is involved comes up is hilarious.

How could someone overtly obsessed with racism also be a closet racist? It’s funny how uncomfortable alleged white liberals get about race topics yet they continue to believe they know what African Americans need...talk about something that’s beyond getting old, it’s just old.
Just a prolonged racist rant. Racism is NOT a conservative value.

As I've repeatedly noted in other posts, you couldn't wear my conservative baby shoes, most notably on environmental issues.

And I've never attacked Kamm's Corner for racism. I never defended Lance Mason's hiring, and it's a joke that you infer that I did so; I'm not a fan of Frank Jackson, but I don't live in Cleveland or Cuyahoga County as you obviously understand. I know many west siders who are not racists. The reality is that I don't care enough nor know enough about Kamm's Corners to get involved in any discussion of it, so your belief that I'm mad about anything said about it is simply another indication of your derangement.

Unlike you, however, I did find the shooting of Tamir Rice unacceptable. Personally, I believe the shooting resulted from the incompetence of the Cleveland police more than from racism, but, unlike you, I never implied that Tamir Rice was a "gang banger wanna be," a comment by which you revealingly, memorably, and IMO disgustingly displayed your racist tendencies. See post 131 in this thread.

Thoughts on the Cleveland Police shooting and Race Relations

Your insistence on posting falsehoods remains disgusting.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
....and what a relief, you’re not getting into a prolonged argument...but what are people smoking out in lake county if you think Kevin Love was initially eager to play with lebron?

….Your cop-out about not caring enough about this topic is also known as not knowing anything about it. Before you start posting cherry picked articles, watch LeBron talking about KLove at the Cavs championship parade.

Kevin Love was thrilled with the trade to the Cavaliers from the Timberwolves. He wanted to win, and he did get a championship ring, an achievement not realized by many NBA greats. He even credited LeBron's return to Cleveland with his eagerness to play for the Cavaliers.

<< LeBron had signed to come back with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and just a few hours after, he called me and I said 'you know what? I'm in.' That had a lot to do with my decision....

I'm very happy to be here.>>

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index...committed.html

Do you ever get tired of posting falsehoods???

Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
The Indians got Edwin E. for $13M without too much problem - 'course he's gone now but that's a different story.
Encarnacion made more like $20 million/year.

Carlos Carrasco recently signed a "bargain" contract extension in order to remain an Indian for several more years.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018...d-indians.html

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018...rry-pluto.html

Kevin Love also signed a below-max contract extension with the Cavaliers.

Neither Carrasco nor Love live in Cleveland in the off-season, but certainly some pros aren't adverse to playing in Cleveland.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Encarnacion made more like $20 million/year.

Carlos Carrasco recently signed a "bargain" contract extension in order to remain an Indian for several more years.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018...d-indians.html

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2018...rry-pluto.html

Kevin Love also signed a below-max contract extension with the Cavaliers.

Neither Carrasco nor Love live in Cleveland in the off-season, but certainly some pros aren't adverse to playing in Cleveland.
A lot of pros don't live in the cities they play in the off-season.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s always been an issue. The Midwest (outside Chicago, maybe) isn’t as glamorous as the coasts or have weather for outdoor activities year-round like the Sunbelt. It’s the same reason Kareem demanded a trade out of Milwaukee back in the day.
I know Cleveland is one of, if not, the most city that the national media, athletes and people all over the country love to hate on (to them it's easier to do). Especially your friends on the Coasts.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 12-30-2018 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I know Cleveland is one of, if not, the most city that the national media, athletes and people all over the country love to hate on (to them it's easier to do). Especially your friends on the Coasts.
You hear that a lot from almost any city. Cleveland has a reputation for being a down and out city whose best days are behind it. Ditto: Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, among others.

NYC has a reputation of a city of snobs. Ditto San Fran, LA, Seattle, San Diego, Miami.

Dallas - Ft. Worth has a reputation of a vast area of cookie cutter suburbs and endless office parks and strip shopping centers with no interesting geography. Ditto Austin, Phoenix, Houston, Orlando, Columbus, Indianapolis.

I think Cleveland has a better reputation now than it has had at anytime in the last 50 years.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
You hear that a lot from almost any city. Cleveland has a reputation for being a down and out city whose best days are behind it. Ditto: Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, among others.

NYC has a reputation of a city of snobs. Ditto San Fran, LA, Seattle, San Diego, Miami.

Dallas - Ft. Worth has a reputation of a vast area of cookie cutter suburbs and endless office parks and strip shopping centers with no interesting geography. Ditto Austin, Phoenix, Houston, Orlando, Columbus, Indianapolis.

I think Cleveland has a better reputation now than it has had at anytime in the last 50 years.
True. But, Cleveland gets it worse. Pittsburgh is starting to get praise as a city reinventing itself, Chicago still has its tourism to fall back on. Detroit is even to start to get praise for turning it around (at least they had Motown) as well as Columbus and Cincinnati (they get high remarks from the media). Baltimore is close proximity to DC so they have that going for them. Plus, those cities have multiple pro sports titles. I don't know why I feel this way sometimes but I feel that Cleveland is America's whipping boy plus they feel if LeBron and Kyrie left it must be something bad about the city. Those other cities don't get trashed as much as Cleveland.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
True. But, Cleveland gets it worse. Pittsburgh is starting to get praise as a city reinventing itself, Chicago still has its tourism to fall back on. Detroit is even to start to get praise for turning it around (at least they had Motown) as well as Columbus and Cincinnati (they get high remarks from the media). Baltimore is close proximity to DC so they have that going for them. Plus, those cities have multiple pro sports titles. I don't know why I feel this way sometimes but I feel that Cleveland is America's whipping boy plus they feel if LeBron and Kyrie left it must be something bad about the city. Those other cities don't get trashed as much as Cleveland.
I don't agree, but that's OK, not much to debate. We have relatives come visit us fairly regularly and they love the time they spend here. We visit all the fun places: Amish country, Ohio City, University Circle museums, downtown, the lake, etc. The relatives are from SoCal and Texas, and they keep coming back saying they have a great time here. I always feel proud of this area and what it has to offer, I'm sure you do also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland