Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'm moving to Cleveland this summer and looking for a home. We are a family of three (me, my wife, and our 10 month old daughter). We're mostly looking at Shaker Heights. We love the older architecture and the character of the neighborhoods, but are wary of old homes due to maintenance, higher utility costs, etc. There are some brand new condos at 3204-8 Van Aken in Shaker Heights that look perfect for our family. This is basically directly in front of the Onaway RTA station. However, I'm a little concerned that these condos are right at the edge of Shaker Heights. Is this a safe area? Or would this be too borderline for a young family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Hey folks, I'm moving to Cleveland this summer and looking for a home. We are a family of three (me, my wife, and our 10 month old daughter). We're mostly looking at Shaker Heights. We love the older architecture and the character of the neighborhoods, but are wary of old homes due to maintenance, higher utility costs, etc. There are some brand new condos at 3204-8 Van Aken in Shaker Heights that look perfect for our family. This is basically directly in front of the Onaway RTA station. However, I'm a little concerned that these condos are right at the edge of Shaker Heights. Is this a safe area? Or would this be too borderline for a young family?
Probably too borderline for a young family. That portion of Shaker is close to the border of Cleveland and some rough areas. You should contact a realtor in the area that can help you with a lot more detail. Things you'll need to consider beyond price: school system, taxes, safety, public transportation if you'll need it. Good luck and welcome to Cleveland, its great for young families - I raised mine here. Plenty of great play options for toddlers.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Probably too borderline for a young family. That portion of Shaker is close to the border of Cleveland and some rough areas. You should contact a realtor in the area that can help you with a lot more detail. Things you'll need to consider beyond price: school system, taxes, safety, public transportation if you'll need it. Good luck and welcome to Cleveland, its great for young families - I raised mine here. Plenty of great play options for toddlers.
I think these condos are perfectly fine for a young couple (I'm a assuming a young white couple?). There are some tough areas a couple blocks away (mainly heading west on Milverton and south on the 140s streets, namely E. 149, 147, 144, etc...). But the townhouses are IN Shaker Heights, which means very strong police presence and near-instant response time in case of emergency (I believe these new condos are all alarm-protected and, if not,... invest in one)...

Yes its urban, near a city. Just don't go jogging, exploring those tougher areas at night -- but frankly, by day, I don't really think they're a problem ... there's just a degree of housing decay, as in foreclosure, condemned, boarded up small apartment buildings and some houses. As you noted, you're right on the Blue Line Rapid at Onaway station ... and just north of the tracks, a few blocks the other way, your smack in an upper middle class area surrounding the High School, Onaway & Woodbury ES complex... and a few blocks north or east of this, it gets VERY wealthy/old money along the Shaker Lakes...

People in Cleveland can sometimes be overly scary about certain neighborhoods (not attacking you, 216, we just disagree here). This particular location is perfectly fine if you are wise, and don't roam in the areas I mentioned -- your neighbors will tell you. Investors would not have sunk the kind of money needed to build such quality new construction if the neighborhood was bad. And really, you can't beat the location, not just for the Rapid, but for your proximity to the quality Shaker schools, Shaker Square-Larchmere, Shaker Town Center governmental/public library/retail district (the Chagrin-Lee-Avalon area a few blocks east) and the new Van Aken District mixed use complex recently opened, and expanding, at the end of Van Aken and the Blue Line. (you're also just up the hill from Cleveland's University Circle cultural center, just 15 minutes away by car, and accessible by rail; as well as the quirky/interesting/lively restaurants, bustling retail districts of next-door Cleveland Heights)... You'll be fine in the Onaway townhomes.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:58 PM

201 posts, read 237,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Rather than survey the opinions of the random people on this thread who likely don't have young families in the particular development you reference, seek out those who actually live in that development and fit your family profile. A good real estate agent should be able to connect you with those who already live in the townhouse development at Van Aken/Onaway. If you'd like a more general perspective from folks with families who live in the broader Shaker neighborhoods of Onaway or Ludlow (but outside the townhouse development), you are welcome to private message me and I'll help you make those connections.

Personally, I am a homeowner in Shaker Heights but I am a single man near the Van Aken District, so my perspective is not terribly relevant to you.

Welcome to Cleveland!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
I am a newbie to the area myself, currently renting in Shaker Square. The area you are talking about is perfectly safe. There is nothing scary about Shaker Heights, at least that I've seen! Yes, there are scary areas to the west of here, sadly. If I were you, I would rent for at least six months before buying anything. Not sure if the condos you reference are to rent or purchase. You really need to get your feet on the ground and get a feel for the different locales before committing to anything/anyplace. Just my two cents.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:58 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post
Rather than survey the opinions of the random people on this thread who likely don't have young families in the particular development you reference, seek out those who actually live in that development and fit your family profile. A good real estate agent should be able to connect you with those who already live in the townhouse development at Van Aken/Onaway. If you'd like a more general perspective from folks with families who live in the broader Shaker neighborhoods of Onaway or Ludlow (but outside the townhouse development), you are welcome to private message me and I'll help you make those connections.

Personally, I am a homeowner in Shaker Heights but I am a single man near the Van Aken District, so my perspective is not terribly relevant to you.

Welcome to Cleveland!
I don't particularly think you need a young family in the area, when you know the particular area, and know families, young and old, who live there. It's only advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland