U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I (both 26) will be relocating to Cleveland from the Columbus area and our currently exploring areas to live. We don't have kids yet, but we do want to factor in area school districts for our future children. We'd like to spend $250k or less on a home. Closer to $220k-$225k would be ideal.

How do Lakewood and Rocky River compare to each other? I've heard that Rocky River has better schools? The lot sizes seem a bit bigger (and pricier as well). However, the walkability to bars and restaurants in Lakewood is appealing. We also like the craftsman style homes in Lakewood with the big front porches.

Does Lakewood have a younger population than RR?

I don't know very much about the East side suburbs of Cleveland, but Shaker Heights and Chagrin Falls seem very nice and I've heard good things about their schools. For younger families are those areas a little "slower?"

We'll be taking a few weekend trips up soon, but I was curious to hear the forum's thoughts on Lakewood vs RR, or any other suburbs that you'd recommend! Just trying to get a feel for everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:46 AM

9,637 posts, read 8,860,972 times
On Lakewood vs Rocky River, it depends on what your #1 priority is. If it is schools, Rocky River is easily the better choice. Lakewood schools aren't bad, but RR is quite good. If you want more city living, you will not really find that in RR (though it won't be that far away) and Lakewood wins easily there. Lakewood is younger than RR. Many people your age in Lakewood, but from my experience knowing people in their late 20s in Lakewood, they are typically not family-oriented at all.

Shaker Heights can be great in a lot of ways, but you don't really get the urbanity/youth/fun of Lakewood there nor the Rocky River level schools (though Shaker certainly isn't "bad" either).

If I had the money, I would choose Chagrin Falls for overall quality of life, regardless of what your priorities are. It's a gem. But you are a bit removed from Cleveland out there.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the response bjimmy, very helpful.

Chagrin Falls looks very nice. I love the historic downtown area that it has. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to afford it at this point though.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:52 AM

9,637 posts, read 8,860,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTribe92 View Post
Thanks for the response bjimmy, very helpful.

Chagrin Falls looks very nice. I love the historic downtown area that it has. I'm just not sure if we'd be able to afford it at this point though.
One wildcard to consider: Willoughby in Lake County.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:29 AM

849 posts, read 1,050,695 times
As someone who lives in River, we found it the perfect blend with a close proximity to both Cleveland city and suburban shopping and Lake Erie and Metroparks...plus we have young kids so of course the schools and sense of community are fantastic.

With that said and you being 25, I think Lakewood a better fit for your time of your life.

You hit the nail on the head with walkability and big porches...and there are definitely a lot of young people and young professionals throughout.

Glancing at Zillow (as I'm sure you already have) there's a ton of cool properties at your price point: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...55_rect/13_zm/

And you'd be even closer than me to getting to Downtown, Ohio City, Gordon Square, Edgewater Park, etc

Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the reply usaf.

I've been browsing other posts throughout the forum and I saw a post from 2017 suggesting to steer clear of houses east of Bunts Road and Warren Road. Is there any truth to that sentiment, or just needless hand wringing? I've heard that the Western portion of Lakewood is more desirable, but this was the first time I'd seen specific streets mentioned as a sort of "cut off."

Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM

849 posts, read 1,050,695 times
Generally speaking yes ... the more western and the northern you go, typically the more desirable / expensive it gets. You'll find the most expensive houses tends to be north ... as you get closest to the Lake.

I'm not entirely sure of a hard line being Bunts Ave or Warren Ave, but either are probably a good rule of thumb...also south of Detroit Ave (or even south of Madison Ave) gets mentioned too.

Although...Madison Ave has a lot of cool stuff in walkable areas.

For example, places I personally like:

The BottleHouse Brewery and Mead Hall https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bottleh...-hall-lakewood
Western Reserve Distillers and Distill Table https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...en-in-lakewood
Angelo's Pizza (some say best in Cleveland): Angelo's Pizza - Lakewood

Maybe someone else can weigh in on the area between Bunts and Warren, but when I go there, I really enjoy the area. But also, I only moved back to Ohio in summer 2018 after being gone many years, so my views may be a little different.

One last thought -- if walkability and things to do are high on you list, I'd suggest scouting out a few areas /streets /establishments of interest, and try to live walking distance (meaning -- restaurants, grocery stores, bars, churches, shopping, library, Lakewood Park, any park, Rocky River Reservation, your bank, , etc). Most of the establishments tend to be along Detroit Ave or Madison Ave.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:44 PM

2,405 posts, read 3,657,235 times
Quote:

I've been browsing other posts throughout the forum and I saw a post from 2017 suggesting to steer clear of houses east of Bunts Road and Warren Road. Is there any truth to that sentiment, or just needless hand wringing? I've heard that the Western portion of Lakewood is more desirable, but this was the first time I'd seen specific streets mentioned as a sort of "cut off."

Thanks again!
Needless hand wringing. The kind of thing you hear from people who have left Lakewood for places like Avon and Grafton. Real Lakewoodites know there are many GREAT blocks east of Bunts, whether you're looking to rent or own. Waterbury and the streets branching off from it, south of St. Edward High School up to Franklin Boulevard, are a great example.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM

378 posts, read 224,981 times
^^what tribecavsbrowns said.

The housing is just more ornate in the western portion of Lakewood. The eastern end is pretty nice, just simpler houses and more doubles, with exceptions being streets like Grace Ave (one of my favorites). Clarence Ave and Cohassett Ave are also great with some standout architecture.

Furthermore, Birdtown, which is about as east and south as one can go in Lakewood, is really popular right now. The neighborhood was originally a company town, so it keeps the trend of simpler housing style-wise, and is a really nice area.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM

3,890 posts, read 6,192,847 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
There are many beautiful -- even stunning -- residential streets east of Bunts. The area containing Cohassett, Grace, and Clarence Avenues between Detroit and Franklin has sometimes been described as Lakewood's "Victorian Village". Waterbury, Chesterland, Lewis, and Parkway are also very nice streets. Also check out Elbur between Clifton and Merl, as well as some others. Very solid.

Between Bunts and Warren Roads, check out Lincoln and Marlowe Avenues south of Detroit, and Belle Avenue both north and south of Detroit. North of Detroit check out streets like Ramona, and, of course, Manor Park with its wide lawns and large houses that are a cut above those found on many Lakewood streets.

Also, not everything in western Lakewood is all that, IMO. At the west end, there are again streets with houses that are smallish, less architecturally interesting, and sometimes a bit worn-looking, a lot like those on some east end streets.

Now, I do think Detroit Avenue east of Bunts is not particularly attractive aesthetically. There are all sorts of buildings of various styles and vintages all jumbled up together that don't seem to really mesh well. It can sometimes give the impression that the area is crummier than it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or