U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 635,913 times

Advertisements

As you all know by now, Cleveland has been selected for the 2021 NFL Draft. This is a great opportunity for the city. After all, Cleveland is a football town, and Ohio is the birthplace of modern pro football. I couldn't be any more happier for this event. It's gonna show what Cleveland has to offer to the world, and I think most fans of the other 31 teams are gonna enjoy the city.

Then you have the haters that come out in full force. I've been on Twitter for the last day or so, and a lot of people hate the fact that Cleveland was selected to host the event. They're saying that it should only be in cities like NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, Miami, Vegas, etc. Some have even pulled out everything from the Joakim Noah video to the Mike Polk video. And, some of these folks in these big cities are mad that their city didn't get it; I even had one person tweet me that the fans from 31 other teams are gonna hate being in Cleveland, or the prospects are gonna stay home because the Draft is in Cleveland. Others feel that siche their city is the cool city is should've automatically got it (they forget their city has to submit a bid). Anyway, what do you think about Cleveland being selected for the Draft? What impact will it have on the city economically and tourist-wise? And, why is Cleveland getting a lot of hate for being selected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,350,218 times
well, Nashville did well EXCEPT for the all the bachelorette parties held that Very Same weekend as the draft.
Nashville has a regional reputation for those, and the girls were Not Happy when they were shut out.
soo...Cleveland can score if it does not snow and they ignore those who snore.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,364 times
I think is is great Cleveland gets to host draft. I think it's petty to discuss all the 'haters', etc. I don't think the rest of the world really cares that Cleveland is hosting. I don't think it will be anything that brings Cleveland prosperity or notoriety. I think the poster's attitude just confirms Cleveland's reputation of having an inferiority complex.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 AM

213 posts, read 77,252 times
It's to be expected, comes with the territory. By 2021 the Browns should have at least made a run or two for the Superbowl, Lumen, Beacon and nuCLEus should all be done, should have more waterfront development at least underway if not partially done, Ohio City and University Circle will both have a ton more development done...

Cleveland will continue to surprise any and all that visit.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,854,415 times
Having the 2021 Draft here will be nice, but I think local pols and pundits are blowing things way out of proportion. Quite frankly, I'm more excited about the MLB All Star game next month, but few are even mentioning it -- it totally slipped my mind until I saw a national Indians game with the Rock 'n Roll stratocaster shoulder patch, and boom... Maybe people here don't care as much because the Indians stink right now and are 10 games out of first on Memorial Day after having the glorious run in 2016 the the World Series followed by 2 more seasons coasting into the playoffs atop the AL Central (only to be dispatched quickly in the ALDS, which seems to have soured everybody on the Indians... including the players themselves... Maybe its because the NFL branding is so doggone popular while baseball seems to be fading from the American consciousness. Not sure.

But the weekend leading up to the All Star game will be warm and, hopefully, dry. Downtown and the Flats should be hopping (as it is on any warm weekend night regardless of whether there's an event), and just like the oos and ahhs Cleveland got from visitors, esp media types, for the 2016 RNC, it should be all that, and more. To me, while it's nice the NFL Draft, a few years ago, decided to bolt Secaucus and tour the nation, and even though it has become a media spectacle, the host cities are really background where several times, like this past year, I wasn't even sure what city it was in (turns out, Chicago)... The business is, as it should be, totally focused on the draft, itself -- often times, aside from a few audience shots with fanbases, as usual, going nuts (cheering or booing their team's pick), we really don't get involved with the host city... You mainly just see Roger Goodell at the podium (not a pleasant visual in my book) and a bunch of young men dressed in all sorts of suits and their families. While I do selfishly care who the Browns draft, I'm not a draft geek like so many others are, and think the event itself has become waaaayyy over-hyped to become a spectacle in and of itself -- some fans, now, even profess being more interested in the draft than the Super Bowl... which is nuts!

... not so for All Star games, in particular baseball, which is outdoors and during warm weather climates -- just imagine constant shots (esp in/out of commercial breaks) with packed restaurants on E. 4th Street, or Playhouse Sq or, again, the sexy-looking Flats will all the pleasure boats meandering on the shimmering Cuyahoga... Not those are some visuals.

Last edited by TheProf; 05-28-2019 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-29-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Having the 2021 Draft here will be nice, but I think local pols and pundits are blowing things way out of proportion. Quite frankly, I'm more excited about the MLB All Star game next month, but few are even mentioning it -- it totally slipped my mind until I saw a national Indians game with the Rock 'n Roll stratocaster shoulder patch, and boom... Maybe people here don't care as much because the Indians stink right now and are 10 games out of first on Memorial Day after having the glorious run in 2016 the the World Series followed by 2 more seasons coasting into the playoffs atop the AL Central (only to be dispatched quickly in the ALDS, which seems to have soured everybody on the Indians... including the players themselves... Maybe its because the NFL branding is so doggone popular while baseball seems to be fading from the American consciousness. Not sure.

But the weekend leading up to the All Star game will be warm and, hopefully, dry. Downtown and the Flats should be hopping (as it is on any warm weekend night regardless of whether there's an event), and just like the oos and ahhs Cleveland got from visitors, esp media types, for the 2016 RNC, it should be all that, and more. To me, while it's nice the NFL Draft, a few years ago, decided to bolt Secaucus and tour the nation, and even though it has become a media spectacle, the host cities are really background where several times, like this past year, I wasn't even sure what city it was in (turns out, Chicago)... The business is, as it should be, totally focused on the draft, itself -- often times, aside from a few audience shots with fanbases, as usual, going nuts (cheering or booing their team's pick), we really don't get involved with the host city... You mainly just see Roger Goodell at the podium (not a pleasant visual in my book) and a bunch of young men dressed in all sorts of suits and their families. While I do selfishly care who the Browns draft, I'm not a draft geek like so many others are, and think the event itself has become waaaayyy over-hyped to become a spectacle in and of itself -- some fans, now, even profess being more interested in the draft than the Super Bowl... which is nuts!

... not so for All Star games, in particular baseball, which is outdoors and during warm weather climates -- just imagine constant shots (esp in/out of commercial breaks) with packed restaurants on E. 4th Street, or Playhouse Sq or, again, the sexy-looking Flats will all the pleasure boats meandering on the shimmering Cuyahoga... Not those are some visuals.
I think all the events coming to Cleveland is great for the city. I'm excited for the MLB All-Star coming to Cleveland, it's been a little over 20 years since it's been here. I want to at least try to go to some events, I don't know if I'll make it to the actual game. I'm excited for the NFL Draft coming to Cleveland because Cleveland is a Browns town as well as the football town. Plus, it'll be the 75th Anniversary of the Browns, and Ohio is the birthplace of football. I think there's more excitement for the Draft because football is the new American past time and replaced baseball. I think the excitement isn't there for the MLB All-Star Game because of where the Indians are right now. And, baseball has done a terrible job of marketing itself and its stars; also the playoff games start too early. The NBA All-Star Game will bring people from all the place. Basketball is more global and universal now than it was when it last came to Cleveland in 1997.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:05 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,854,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I think all the events coming to Cleveland is great for the city. I'm excited for the MLB All-Star coming to Cleveland, it's been a little over 20 years since it's been here. I want to at least try to go to some events, I don't know if I'll make it to the actual game. I'm excited for the NFL Draft coming to Cleveland because Cleveland is a Browns town as well as the football town. Plus, it'll be the 75th Anniversary of the Browns, and Ohio is the birthplace of football. I think there's more excitement for the Draft because football is the new American past time and replaced baseball. I think the excitement isn't there for the MLB All-Star Game because of where the Indians are right now. And, baseball has done a terrible job of marketing itself and its stars; also the playoff games start too early. The NBA All-Star Game will bring people from all the place. Basketball is more global and universal now than it was when it last came to Cleveland in 1997.
I'm definitely happy Cleveland is getting the draft, no doubt. I just don't see it as big a deal as some in the media are making it... Even with baseball's lower popularity these days, and given the Indians' current bad situation (great comeback win over Boston last night, though, maybe things will turn around), I'm more excited for the baseball All Star game next month because I think it will give Cleveland greater national exposure... and, of the 3 upcoming events, I'm much more pumped for the 2022 NBA All Star game... Not only do we get the 3-day weekend exposure, but the NBA event is even sexier because all the celebs show up for this all star game much more so than baseball and (God forbid) the useless Pro Bowl... On top of that, The Q, um, er, the Fieldhouse (or whatever clunky name Dan Gilbert has saddled it with) is getting a complete upgrade/makeover, which will benefit the City and Cavs fans for many years to come.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:40 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
It’s great and you know darn well why the haters are hating. They would hate any city that got it because it isn’t their city.

And who cares what they think anyway? Twitter was designed for haters.

Stop taking these things personally.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm definitely happy Cleveland is getting the draft, no doubt. I just don't see it as big a deal as some in the media are making it... Even with baseball's lower popularity these days, and given the Indians' current bad situation (great comeback win over Boston last night, though, maybe things will turn around), I'm more excited for the baseball All Star game next month because I think it will give Cleveland greater national exposure... and, of the 3 upcoming events, I'm much more pumped for the 2022 NBA All Star game... Not only do we get the 3-day weekend exposure, but the NBA event is even sexier because all the celebs show up for this all star game much more so than baseball and (God forbid) the useless Pro Bowl... On top of that, The Q, um, er, the Fieldhouse (or whatever clunky name Dan Gilbert has saddled it with) is getting a complete upgrade/makeover, which will benefit the City and Cavs fans for many years to come.
I think more people and the media are pumped for the NFL Draft because Cleveland is such a major football city and you know Browns fans lol . Despite them being a loser for the 20 years that they've been back, the Browns are still the biggest draw in this city. Also, everyone in and outside of Cleveland are expecting the Browns to have a great year this upcoming season. Definitely, a little more excited for the NBA All-Star Game than the MLB All-Star Game because, just like you mentioned, there will be more of a party factor, the sexy factor and the celebs that will be there. Plus, I'm anxious to see what new changes in The Q (yes, it will always be The Q to me lol) look like.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It’s great and you know darn well why the haters are hating. They would hate any city that got it because it isn’t their city.

And who cares what they think anyway? Twitter was designed for haters.

Stop taking these things personally.
I'm not taking it personally. I just find it funny that people in other cities are bashing Cleveland on social media for Cleveland being picked to host the draft and their cities didn't get picked. They're like, "Cleveland? Really? We're the cream of the crop and we lose to Cleveland of all cities," and I love it. Just like it was funny when some folks in Dallas were salty about losing to Cleveland for the 2016 RNC some of their media even called it "embarrassing." It's even more funnier that some of those cities get to host bigger events that the NFL Draft a lot of the time, but it can't take an L to Cleveland.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-30-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland