U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,547 times
Default Living West of Cleveland

Hello all. By the end of this year or so, my fiance and I are planning to move to the Cleveland area. She current works at Metro Health and commutes from Youngstown to Cleveland on a daily basis. So, we want to move closer to Cleveland to cut down on the drive. So, we are wondering what the best suburbs/cities are that surround Cleveland would be?

I hear from people I work with that the west side of the city is the "ideal" area to live in, such as Lakewood, Rocky River and Westlake. We've never been to those communities, and are familiar with communities on the east side, such as Aurora, Solon, Streetsboro and Twinsburg.

So, we were wondering what would be best for us. We are looking at both west side and east side communities, which include Aurora, Solon, Independence, Beachwood, Twinsburg and Streetsboro. Also considering Lakewood, Westlake, Rocky River, and other areas such as Strongsville and North Royalton too.

We want a community with low crime, good schools, and no ghetto.

Would appreciate any input. We are looking for condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,707,493 times
There are great areas on both sides of the city. The main difference is that the Eastside tends to be a lot more diverse and has more upscale areas. The westside has nice areas too but not to the extent that the Eastside does.

If you want a good area with low crime, good schools, and no ghetto, you should rule out Cleveland and East Cleveland. Also maybe add Lorain, Euclid and Elyria to that list. Most of the other cities are pretty nice though.

For the Westside I would recommend Westlake, Rocky River, Strongsville. If you want to add Lorain County there is Avon, Avon Lake, North Ridgeville which are all pretty nice. Lakewood is nice but its a lot more urban and has a higher crime rate than the others. For the Eastside Im not too sure, but I would recommend Beechwood, Cleveland Heights, Pepper Pike. There is a lot to choose from.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM

2,554 posts, read 3,812,453 times
Don't forget Bay Village either.

City of Bay Village | Cuyahoga County, Ohio

Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM

302 posts, read 656,431 times
I've noticed that there is a tendency to describe the "west" as the area extending from Lakewood to Westlake, and those are the only areas to live on the west side, while the southern communities still on the west side are left out as areas to live, ex: Independence, North Royalton, Broadview Hts, Etc. I guess thats good for us south siders, less publicity and less people trying to move in...........if only it were so(too many green spaces being torn down for postage sized mini mansions, but thats everywhere)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland