U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 AM

24 posts, read 14,309 times

Advertisements

Hello! I made a post about finding a place to move in the main forum, and several people recommended Cleveland, so i figured i'd make a post here!

I am a black single mother in her early 30s looking to start over after a terrible relationship. I work remotely so I can pick up and move most anywhere, but would ideally love to find a working class/middle class neighborhood, that is either majority black, or mixed but open minded and welcoming.

My top priorities are safety (somewhere i don't have to worry about letting my son play outside), and affordability (i am approved for a 200k, but would ideally like to spend a bit less than that). Schools are important, but i am very open to a charter school or private school if needed. And i'd love to be pretty conveniently located to downtown or other cool areas.

I know i'm asking a lot haha, can neighborhoods like this be found in Cleveland? Where would you recommend??

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 AM

9,231 posts, read 8,216,655 times
The first place I think of is Glenville near University Circle, around Ashbury Ave. Never lived there or anything, but walking around the area, it strikes me as pretty much what you might be looking for. Perhaps others could correct me if I'm wrong though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...33408860_zpid/

Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM

123 posts, read 112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgirlmagic View Post
Hello! I made a post about finding a place to move in the main forum, and several people recommended Cleveland, so i figured i'd make a post here!

I am a black single mother in her early 30s looking to start over after a terrible relationship. I work remotely so I can pick up and move most anywhere, but would ideally love to find a working class/middle class neighborhood, that is either majority black, or mixed but open minded and welcoming.

My top priorities are safety (somewhere i don't have to worry about letting my son play outside), and affordability (i am approved for a 200k, but would ideally like to spend a bit less than that). Schools are important, but i am very open to a charter school or private school if needed. And i'd love to be pretty conveniently located to downtown or other cool areas.

I know i'm asking a lot haha, can neighborhoods like this be found in Cleveland? Where would you recommend??

Thanks so much!
OP, if you wish to remain in Cuyahoga County, consider Beachwood, Bedford, Bedford Heights, Cleveland Heights (particularly neighborhoods along Mayfield Road), Glenwillow, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Oakwood, Richmond Heights, Shaker Heights (particularly Lomond, Ludlow and Moreland neighborhoods), South Euclid and Woodmere. If you want to look further from the city, you might explore Streetsboro and Twinsburg.

Good luck!

DR J

Old 07-03-2019, 02:35 PM

3,198 posts, read 3,968,817 times
I would recommend parts of Warrensville Heights or Oakwood. Both are majority AA, safe, with decent schools, and a lot of working class/middle class people. Warrensville Heights is also seeing a ton of new jobs/revenue due to the massive Amazon distribution center and re-modeled Thistledown Racino. Property values in that area have risen considerably in the last few years.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM

958 posts, read 772,088 times
Viewing this from CAL is so odd. No worries either way, but you just don't see people asking to live in areas by race where I'm from.

I was going to say Lakewood in terms of schools, location to downtown, friendly people.

OP: So glad you got yourself out of a bad deal (relationship).

Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM

220 posts, read 190,984 times
Check out the North Collinwood neighborhood of Cleveland ... my impression of it is exactly what you describe: majority black, firmly middle-class. I think you'll also find any neighborhood in Cleveland proper, as well as any of the inner-ring suburbs, are fairly diverse and/or welcoming. Lakewood, for instance, is largely white, but has a pretty "woke" vibe - almost like a college town without a college.

Most of the majority black areas are to the east and southeast. The most diverse areas (meaning a fairly equal racial distribution) are on the west side of the city proper. If you go here, you can use the drop-down above the map and select "Race distribution" - you can then actually see a map of areas by racial composition:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Cuyahoga_County-OH.html

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 14,309 times
Thank you all!! Wow, the real estate prices in Cleveland are shocking to me coming from south florida...so many options! I'll have to do research on all these areas!

One question i'll add, is do any of these areas provide a particularly good investment compared to the others? In terms of housing value hopefully going up in the future? Or would there be any recommendation you'd make for that?

Thanks!!

Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM

220 posts, read 190,984 times
Personally I'd have a hard time knowing what to recommend on that front ... I could make some guesses, but nothing I'd feel confident about. High prices are already baked in in most of the trendy areas (e.g., Ohio City), and the up-and-coming neighborhoods are already pretty well known. I don't think there's an obvious candidate to be the next up-and-coming neighborhood. So much has to do with things that are hard to predict like demographics and the economy. My recommendation would be to find a place that you like and not worry about making it an "investment" ... but that's just me. Others might have a different take.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:23 PM

218 posts, read 93,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgirlmagic View Post
Thank you all!! Wow, the real estate prices in Cleveland are shocking to me coming from south florida...so many options! I'll have to do research on all these areas!

One question i'll add, is do any of these areas provide a particularly good investment compared to the others? In terms of housing value hopefully going up in the future? Or would there be any recommendation you'd make for that?

Thanks!!
Hey OP, Dr. J has it right. Really any of the east suburbs will do. Since you said schools are important, look in Solon too. Some of the best schools in the state and is fairly diverse. It's further out but you work remote so that should be okay. Cleveland Heights and Shaker will have larger AA populations and feel more urban but property taxes are higher, so factor that into your budget. Maple Heights, Garfield Heights and Bedford Heights will have large/majority AA populations but honestly aren't the greatest areas in terms of amenities, schools and safety.

Overall, there are very few areas in Cleveland that would be great investments from a pure appreciation standpoint. Just not enough growth in the region. Come here to buy a house in a decent area, save some money and enjoy all that Cleveland has going on. 200k (even 120k-150k) is definitely enough. Hard to find another city of this size where that will be true.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM

958 posts, read 772,088 times
Solon is solid. My cousins grew up there-- still are. Not as diverse as east side areas, but they are cool people and race does not matter and schools are known to be best in Ohio. It's not for me personally, because I like the older housing and closer to the city.

I still think Lakewood (west side) is cool and there are some very nice homes in the 180k range in areas near there.

I would still recommend renting for 6 months to a year to find your fit and then go from there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or