Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeli0501 View Post
Has Cleveland done anything with light rail yet? I'd rather have good public transportation than fish. Shiny buildings do not bring people. Sustainable living brings people. Cleveland should be at the forefront of new urbanism.
I was confused by this post too.

Thanks for the map CLE440.

I know they are redoing a few of the stations within the near future...and I'm not one for rumors, but I know there are talks about extending the blue and green lines someday.

Cleveland is well above cities twice its size in regards to Public Transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I was confused by this post too.
Cleveland is well above cities twice its size in regards to Public Transportation.
There is talk of extending the Blue line east to North Randall or Harvard Park and the Red line west to Berea. There is no talk of anytime soon extending the Green line even though there was land set aside for it to go all the way to an I-271 park and ride at Shaker and Brainard, as the land east of Green Road has now been turned into a Beachwood city park.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
^^thanks for the update!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Personally I would like to see the system extend to at least west to Lakewood (maybe a branch off the red line) and East to Euclid (either red line, blue and/or green on the shoreway or both.

Those are two very dense areas and I'm sure they would increase the ridership a lot.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 PM

129 posts, read 346,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
There is talk of extending the Blue line east to North Randall or Harvard Park and the Red line west to Berea.
RTA posted a document in February calling for the extension of the Blue Line dependent on Federal Stimulus money. The other big change, other than needed maintenance to lines and rebuilding stations, is the proposed "bus rapid transit" (BRT) line from the Shoreway to western Lakewood. (The Euclid Corridor is a BRT line.)
In case you're interested, the document is here: http://www.riderta.com/pdf/presentat...tiveUpdate.pdf

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-18-2009 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: provided url as a link

Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM

16 posts, read 42,710 times
Default Thinking of moving to a Cleveland burb have questions?

i have lived in lorain/elyria area most of my life.... Me, my fiance, and our son moved a year ago to a small city in ohio by the PA line its nice i moved because of work but now im ready to move back up that way. She is going to school for Healthcare Admin and will be done in 18months she really wants to move to north carolina because of the raliegh area and how many hospitals they have ..... ive been really trying to talk her out of it but our main concern is for our family i work for a big retailer and could work in any decent size city but for her to find a job is rough in this economy.... My last ditch effort is to get her to move to Cleveland burb there is the cleveland clinic and i think there should be enough hospitals in the area for her to find a job.... we are thinking of Parma, middleburg, strongsville would like some feedback on hospitals, schools, and crime.... i cant leave my brown and my state haha hopefully we get settled this year in CLEVELAND!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8aarons View Post
i have lived in lorain/elyria area most of my life.... Me, my fiance, and our son moved a year ago to a small city in ohio by the PA line its nice i moved because of work but now im ready to move back up that way. She is going to school for Healthcare Admin and will be done in 18months she really wants to move to north carolina because of the raliegh area and how many hospitals they have ..... ive been really trying to talk her out of it but our main concern is for our family i work for a big retailer and could work in any decent size city but for her to find a job is rough in this economy.... My last ditch effort is to get her to move to Cleveland burb there is the cleveland clinic and i think there should be enough hospitals in the area for her to find a job.... we are thinking of Parma, middleburg, strongsville would like some feedback on hospitals, schools, and crime.... i cant leave my brown and my state haha hopefully we get settled this year in CLEVELAND!
I think you should start a new thread for this one (if you haven't already).

Most of the suburbs will be fine (excluding a few), but it's more about what you personally want. Strongsville, Shaker Hts., Westlake, Bay Village, Rocky River, Beechwood, and Lakewood among others are all great places to live. All within driving distance to Cleveland Clinic and the other hospitals. There should also be plenty of hospitals and enough jobs to find work here. If you want to be closer than choose an inner ring suburb or an Eastside suburb (for University and The Clinic)

Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Cleveland Aquarium Inc. plans downtown facility, rivaling Jacobs Investment Group proposal - Metro - cleveland.com

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Terminal Tower restoration is coming along very nicely. The top of the tower is lit up very nice at night. I believe this is year 3 of the 5 year restoration project.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM

51 posts, read 114,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
What do you mean?

Cleveland currently has 2 light rail lines (Green and Blue) and 1 heavy/rapid rail line (red).

Here's the map:

There's also a new "bus rapid transit line" (silver line) that goes down Euclid from downtown to University Circle. In comparison, Cincinnati and Columbus (along with many other similarly sized cities/metros) have no light/heavy rail lines or bus rapid transit line. On top of that there is also a very extensive bus system in Cleveland. We are doing very well as far as public transportation.
Oh that's cool! I didn't know it was so extensive. That makes me excited to move closer to Cleveland. I wasn't thinking of the Rapid when I said "light rail." I think I meant the street car-type service that they have in Portland. You know how the tracks are in the streets? It would be cool for Cleveland to have that. I thought that's what the Euclid Corridor project was supposed to be about. My mistake! Still looks cool. Has anyone used it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland