Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times

Advertisements

How is it bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I know lol. That East 9th area is shaping up quite well. Never been inside that building before, but it sounds gorgeous. Hoping that we'll be able to lure some major office tenants also. However, even the foot traffic from more apartments and lights and perhaps a few more stores will be huge. What I like is that there's sort of almost a seamless connectivity starting to happen between East 4th and Playhouse Square. I hope the same will be true for the Gateway area and the Warehouse District, and then the Warehouse and Flats East Bank. Public Square will be big start in that regard.

BTW, how is the lack of tax credit (or cut in urban historic preservation going to affect things?) should it be a big issue on any of the current projects?

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 06-17-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 AM

133 posts, read 175,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
^ They opened one in the Portland's Pearl District near Rogue and 10 Barrel. It's been busy every time I've been there.

Do you have a news link or anything showing this announcement?
Insider info. Public announcement will be made soon....

Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 PM

237 posts, read 249,381 times
They said this building, if built today, would cost around 2.5 billion dollars. Can you imagine? What a great building glad it's being repurposed

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF1129 View Post
They said this building, if built today, would cost around 2.5 billion dollars. Can you imagine? What a great building glad it's being repurposed
Reportedly, the building has 1.4 million square feet, with an estimated replacement cost of $2.25 billion, or over $1,500/sq. ft.

New owner of Huntington Building plans to convert it to apartments, restaurants, clubs (photos) | cleveland.com

Former Huntington Building in Cleveland sells for $22 million to Hudson Holdings (photos) | cleveland.com

I would love to see the calculation of that estimated replacement cost, as it may be several times what it would cost to build a deluxe modern building of that size. Would a super deluxe building with modern amenities and design cost even $400/square foot to build today? It doesn't look like the cost of the NuCLEus project is even $300/sq. ft.

Stark and J-Dek's nuCLEus project wins unanimous conceptual approval from Cleveland planning commission | cleveland.com

I also don't remember reading that project financing is in place for the Huntington Building redevelopment project.

I would love to see the Huntington Building successfully redeveloped, but first we need to hear about completion of the project financing.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:44 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Cleveland Neighborhood Study, population trends

When will Cleveland's population stabilize, then grow?

Mapping brain gain and loss: New study charts changing faces of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County | cleveland.com

Income inequality plagues Cleveland:

A tale of two Clevelands: Richey Piiparinen (Opinion) | cleveland.com

IMO, a key reason for the inequality in Cleveland is the gutting of the region's manufacturing industry and competitiveness.

The high and mounting tolls on the I-76/I-80/I-90 corridor has a decided negative impact on the northern Ohio industrial economy, including Greater Cleveland. Yet this has been ignored by the region's economic and political leaders, likely because the creation of the "Republican Toll Road" is viewed by the Republicans as a great accomplishment, the monetizing of state assets, while ignoring the disastrous impact on the northern Ohio an Indiana industrial economies.

Additionally, federal policies have gutted U.S. industrial competitiveness.

It's shocking how little attention is paid to providing an economic future to all residents of Greater Cleveland, so that all residents can share the tax burden and support the region's services and infrastructure. Our leaders have just given up our manufacturing heritage not only without a fight, but without even an informed understanding of the problem. See post 13 here:

Msn.com "most miserable cities" include Cincinnati, Columbus

To me, this mounting inequality is a curse on Greater Cleveland's future.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 AM

133 posts, read 175,956 times
CPC Agenda - June*19

Tons of new developments with pics on link.

Highlights:

Breakwater Bluffs (W58th – 65th) This is basically a larger version of another Battery Park type development. 297 units

Detroit and 25th 220 luxury apartments plus ground floor retail
Duck Island Townhomes (21 units)
new café on public square.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Interesting comments. I wasn't informed on the Republican toll road concept. I hope it doesn't have too deep an impact on economy or that there is some way to turn it around. The city needs to continue any positive momentum whatsoever.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I know lol. That East 9th area is shaping up quite well. Never been inside that building before, but it sounds gorgeous. Hoping that we'll be able to lure some major office tenants also. However, even the foot traffic from more apartments and lights and perhaps a few more stores will be huge. What I like is that there's sort of almost a seamless connectivity starting to happen between East 4th and Playhouse Square. I hope the same will be true for the Gateway area and the Warehouse District, and then the Warehouse and Flats East Bank. Public Square will be big start in that regard.

BTW, how is the lack of tax credit (or cut in urban historic preservation going to affect things?) should it be a big issue on any of the current projects?
I worked in the Huntington Bldg. It's a little city inside. Arcades of shops, tunnel under Chester Ave to the parking garage. The bank lobby is amazing; if you think the old Cleveland Trust lobby is impressive, which it is, wait until you see this old school bank lobby. Also,I think it was called the Mid-day Club on the roof, offering spectacular views. I believe it included moorings for zeppelins to land on the roof.

The building itself is huge as we all know. In its day it was the premier office building, even until the '80s it retained prestige. The E 9/Euclid corner were the top partners' offices etc of the large law firms spots. Imagine Jones, Day/Squire Saunders/Arter & Hadden (the oldest firm in the city) and Ernst & Ernst (HDQs) all being in the same building, which they were. These were but a few of the offices in that building.

Can't wait to see this transformation; truly another future gem, again, in downtown Cleveland.

The Public Square to E 9 th Street on Euclid is connected, but for the Hippodrome parking lot at 8th Street; there's just a bit of a gap from E 9 to Playhouse Square, but that will be gone by fall or so with Geiger's etc coming in.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM

That's exciting. I'm gonna be visiting in about a week and looking forward to checking out all the different projects around the city. I haven't been up since Public Square started, Heinen's opened, the Scranton Flats was being worked on, the East Bank and the Hilton were not too far along, nuCLEus was barely an idea, Progressive renovations weren't completed yet, plus there's that new pizza joint in the Old Arcade. Also making it a point to get to Shaker Square this trip since I have never actually been, and Edgewater Live!. Trying to think if there's any other new things I need to see while in town, I feel like I remember reading somewhere that there was new stuff at Metroparks and Holden (Canopy Walk/Zipline), etc.. I wanted to check out Symon's new BBQ place, but the trail seems to have gone cold on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland