U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM

3,611 posts, read 2,772,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You don't do it on the bus. You do have to activate it at the machine though. Or elsewhere. It's a dumb system.
OK, never bought a fare card on the Health Line; purchase it on the Red Line. Thanks for the info though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 AM

6,691 posts, read 5,536,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
OK, never bought a fare card on the Health Line; purchase it on the Red Line. Thanks for the info though!
To be clear before I get accused of having never been to Cleveland or something: an already activated card on any other line works fine, you don't have to activate anything specially for the health line.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 AM

6,691 posts, read 5,536,578 times
Blacks being ticketed in high numbers for not paying RTA fares in Cleveland | cleveland.com

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cleve...les_who_do.amp

RTA enforcement of fare evasion on HealthLine discriminates against blacks, ACLU and NAACP say | cleveland.com

RTA needs to change fare collection system on some lines | cleveland.com

Some oldies but goodies. But also just ignorant bravado- we all know that everyone pays their fare all the time!

https://youtu.be/0wkX3v7YJrQ

Looks like they really scrutinize those passes.

My last post about the health line or rta fare collection. I think these points are absolutely fair game and totally reasonable to make regardless of if you agree.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 02-24-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM

5,510 posts, read 2,887,695 times
Quote:
Boycott the corporations that you deem to have outrageous CEO salaries.

Your FDR era distraction to ensure middle class outrage is against the ''wealthy'' and not those taking advantage of the system. Unfortunately there's no middle class in Cleveland anymore to share your outrage.

You certainly fit the average politician/citizen profile in the Peoples' Republic of Cleveland. Love touring the city neighborhoods, especially the east side, to see all the great results this war on the ''wealthy'' created.

Thank the Peoples' Republic of Cleveland for driving the ''wealthy'', the CEOs, and the middle class (first the whites, then the blacks) out of your city.

Now it's on to open that sliver of a bus lane on Public Square!
What ignorant propaganda!!!

There is still a large middle class in Greater Cleveland, but probably a relative paucity of direct shareholders, as most persons have delegated their assets to money managers in one form or another. Yet all persons dependent on corporate investments are being short-changed by the current control of most of our economic assets by an elite class of managers and investors, both of whom benefit from exorbitant CEO competition and "financial engineering," often at the expense of the long-term viability of corporations and the interests of all of their stakeholders, especially shareholders.

For decades, non-voting shares were banned on the NYSE and frowned upon in the U.S. No longer. Snapchat in its IPO plans to offer only non-voting shares.

As a direct investor, I can recite chapter and verse scores of situations where management has sold out the best interests of long-term shareholders often to benefit only the CEO or chairman.

In Ohio, a current situation may be playing out with Macy's, where an outgoing CEO may sell the corporation on the cheap to Hudson's Bay perhaps in order to trigger his golden parachute before his retirement.

Locally, National City's demise in several respects IMO was an example of CEO capitalism run amok, to the great detriment of our local economy.

John Bogle, the legendary founder of Vanguard and champion of the ordinary investor, explained it well in the wake of the dot.com bubble from his long perspective:

https://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/sp20030611.html

Carl Icahn, the famed investor, repeatedly expresses much of the same concerns:

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ghting-fo.aspx

Little Trumpies are likely the best-trained, brainwashed champions of management capitalism. "Draining the swamp" involved placing billionaire management capitalists like Wilbur Ross, who flipped Cleveland's LTV Steel, and Rex Tillerson, the former CEO of ExxonMobil and friend of Vladimir Putin. Ross admittedly saved Cleveland's steel plant, but the problem is that Ross is a vulture capitalist with often a short-term investment perspective.

Billionaire Wilbur Ross - Trump's apparent pick for Commerce - made millions on bankrupt steel plants

What It Really Means to Be a ‘Friend of Putin’ - POLITICO Magazine

Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Blacks being ticketed in high numbers for not paying RTA fares in Cleveland | cleveland.com

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cleve...les_who_do.amp

RTA enforcement of fare evasion on HealthLine discriminates against blacks, ACLU and NAACP say | cleveland.com

RTA needs to change fare collection system on some lines | cleveland.com

Some oldies but goodies. But also just ignorant bravado- we all know that everyone pays their fare all the time!

https://youtu.be/0wkX3v7YJrQ

Looks like they really scrutinize those passes.

My last post about the health line or rta fare collection. I think these points are absolutely fair game and totally reasonable to make regardless of if you agree.
These articles all are from 5 or more years ago. There has been no evidence for years that I've seen that large numbers of persons ride the Healthline for free, yet a couple posters here posit as fact that a large percentage, even almost all, Healthline riders are freeloaders.

Interestingly, none of these posters have risked riding the Healthline for free.

I'll repeat a basic fact. The financially pressed RTA has a great economic incentive to crack down on fare violations. It would surprise me if the enforcement mechanism wasn't sufficient to minimize the problem.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:08 PM

3,243 posts, read 5,075,410 times
Quote:
You don't do it on the bus. You do have to activate it at the machine though. Or elsewhere. It's a dumb system.
I thought I did swipe on the HealthLine bus. It's possible my memory could be faulty, however.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 5,075,410 times
Quote:
Maybe RTA is enforcing all these rules but it was juveniles that were seeing a large amount of violators and there was an outcry that the RTA was ruining these kids future with these violations. Please.
How I detest this attitude. These kids are ruining their own future by violating the law. Nobody put a gun to their head and made them do it. It's high time we got back to the concept of personal responsibility in this country.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:31 PM

19,302 posts, read 20,172,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I thought I did swipe on the HealthLine bus. It's possible my memory could be faulty, however.
You can swipe on the bus. I tried to use the fare machine to swipe my ticket to ride the Healthline and it wasn't working. So I boarded the bus and told the driver. She just had me swipe it in her machine.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM

3,611 posts, read 2,772,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How I detest this attitude. These kids are ruining their own future by violating the law. Nobody put a gun to their head and made them do it. It's high time we got back to the concept of personal responsibility in this country.
Yeo, transit fare rules can be discarded, great mindset to create for kids as they have to encounter the laws and rules of society in the future.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Yeo, transit fare rules can be discarded, great mindset to create for kids as they have to encounter the laws and rules of society in the future.
You keep saying transit fare rules aren't adequately enforced based on your interpretation of 5-year-old articles. You've provided no substantiation that this is a current issue, so your claims smack of racial bias.

I did notice that fare violation rules have special provisions for juvenile offenders, which must mean that RTA is enforcing the rules against some juveniles.

https://websrvor15.gcrta.org:8000/OA...rp=IBE_M_OTHER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland