Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Residency requirements should be an option for cities. There is no doubt having public employees live in a city of employment gives the employees a vested interest in the community that is lacking when they live elsewhere.

For safety forces, it allows them more easily to identify and deal with problems in their neighborhoods. There also is much to be said for having employees live closer to work areas, especially emergency personnel.
Trump said the same thing this morning. You guys think alike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 AM

378 posts, read 342,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Do you ride the Health Line much? I'm just saying almost nobody has a card. They don't buy one, they don't take one out and scan it. Same with red line actually.

I don't know if it's exaggeration or not. I think it was EXTREMELY obvious I was being flippant, but one has to explicitly spell things out on a forum I guess. My main point is, and I didn't think I had to explain this, that there is no mechanism to ensure that people pay to use the Health Line. Period. That's a fact. And it's idiotic. I can't think of another city like that, that doesn't really fundamentally try to get people to pay for its already insanely subsidized transit.

Walk on walk off shouldn't be an option. It's so incredibly dumb.
Seattle is walk-on, walk-off. The only difference is that they have fare cards. So when you tap your card (either at the front of the bus or at the bus stop if you board the bus in the back) the trip stays valid for a set amount of time and you have unlimited transfers within that time. If transit police get on the bus, they can just scan your card to see if you have completed valid payment. If you paid in cash then you just show them your stub like on Cleveland buses.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
And while im still dreaming.
I propose extending the red line south along W.25th into parma down state or ridge road. With a spur off W.25th. going west along lorain.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:56 AM

378 posts, read 342,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
And while im still dreaming.
I propose extending the red line south along W.25th into parma down state or ridge road. With a spur off W.25th. going west along lorain.
I would love to see an actual regional rail network. I grew up with SEPTA in and around Philly and while it didn't make it all the way up to my hometown it was nice to be able to drive a bit and still hop on a train into Philly.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:04 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Do you ride the Health Line much? I'm just saying almost nobody has a card. They don't buy one, they don't take one out and scan it. Same with red line actually.

I don't know if it's exaggeration or not. I think it was EXTREMELY obvious I was being flippant, but one has to explicitly spell things out on a forum I guess. My main point is, and I didn't think I had to explain this, that there is no mechanism to ensure that people pay to use the Health Line. Period. That's a fact. And it's idiotic. I can't think of another city like that, that doesn't really fundamentally try to get people to pay for its already insanely subsidized transit.

Walk on walk off shouldn't be an option. It's so incredibly dumb.
My statement about the enforcement issue is true though. Too many members of 1 demographic group were the violators on the HealthLine so the RTA police had to lay-off. There does need to be ''swipe'' or scan system set-up though on all modes of transit in CLE.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Safety personnel no longer have to live in Cleveland because the Republicans on the Ohio Supreme Court in a highly political move overturned city residency laws.

The police officers charged and paid with improving conditions in Cleveland now often are overtly hostile to the city and lack the once serious motivation for doing their jobs.

Ohio justices' home-rule decision shows that politics really rules | cleveland.com

Ohio Supreme Court undermines home rule and Cleveland's future | cleveland.com

Cleveland residency requirement's strikedown could be final blow to home rule in Ohio cities | cleveland.com
Some U.S. cities have residency requirements, some don't. Suburbs were the point of contention on this point though; few minority residents resulting in a lack of ''diversity'' on police forces etc. To remedy this, drop the residency requirements.

NYC doesn't have a residency requirement for its police/firefighters. Cleveland's cops/firefighter families were forced to foot the bill for Catholic school on top of it as no one wants to go Cleveland Public Schools while at the same time foot the bill for these ''schools'' with their property taxes.

Now they can live in a nice suburb, pay real estate taxes, and the benefit of using the public schools. Those that don't send kids to public schools get to pay to maintain local schools which helps their home value for resale. Since Cuyahoga County is now a part of Cleveland's Titanic voyage, collar counties are even more appealing. Forget Lakewood, Euclid, or Garbage Heights, let's go to Avon.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
While you guys are squabbling over welfare benefits, our feudal lords continue to accumulate disgusting amounts of wealth. CEOs of major corporations are earning hundreds of millions per year, while the drones get their benefits and salaries cut, while their hours are increased. The welfare queen is a Reagan era distraction to ensure the middle class outrage is against the poor, and not the 1%.
Boycott the corporations that you deem to have outrageous CEO salaries.

Your FDR era distraction to ensure middle class outrage is against the ''wealthy'' and not those taking advantage of the system. Unfortunately there's no middle class in Cleveland anymore to share your outrage.

You certainly fit the average politician/citizen profile in the Peoples' Republic of Cleveland. Love touring the city neighborhoods, especially the east side, to see all the great results this war on the ''wealthy'' created.

Thank the Peoples' Republic of Cleveland for driving the ''wealthy'', the CEOs, and the middle class (first the whites, then the blacks) out of your city.

Now it's on to open that sliver of a bus lane on Public Square!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:

I don't know if it's exaggeration or not. I think it was EXTREMELY obvious I was being flippant, but one has to explicitly spell things out on a forum I guess.
How do you know that nobody has fare cards??? It's walk-on, walk-off, so you only have to produce your fare when requested to do so by transit police. What are you talking about when you refer to "scan it???"

If you can't produce the fare when requested, there is a nominal $25 fee for violators once every 24 months, if the fee is paid promptly. Otherwise, criminal citations are issued.

Fare Violations | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

In recent years, I've seen nothing about egregious fare violations on the Healthline. You weren't extremely obvious or flippant, and to claim so now is CYA.

Again, there is no way anyone riding the Healthline would know whether others have paid the fare, unless they witnessed transit police checking for fares.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
How do you know that nobody has fare cards??? It's walk-on, walk-off, so you only have to produce your fare when requested to do so by transit police. What are you talking about when you refer to "scan it???"

If you can't produce the fare when requested, there is a nominal $25 fee for violators once every 24 months, if the fee is paid promptly. Otherwise, criminal citations are issued.

Fare Violations | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

In recent years, I've seen nothing about egregious fare violations on the Healthline. You weren't extremely obvious or flippant, and to claim so now is CYA.

Again, there is no way anyone riding the Healthline would know whether others have paid the fare, unless they witnessed transit police checking for fares.
If you make a situation wherein you don't actually require anyone to pay or prove that they paid, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that people won't pay. When I took transit (red line and health line) frequently, I remember exactly one time a cop coming through and checking people's tickets. About 5/15 people were in violation on that one instance.

And yes I was clearly making a short sarcastic point. If you don't think so, I don't know what to tell you. I literally wrote one sentence.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
If you make a situation wherein you don't actually require anyone to pay or prove that they paid, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that people won't pay. When I took transit (red line and health line) frequently, I remember exactly one time a cop coming through and checking people's tickets. About 5/15 people were in violation on that one instance.

And yes I was clearly making a short sarcastic point. If you don't think so, I don't know what to tell you. I literally wrote one sentence.
WRNative doesn't get sarcasm. Wonder if he/she is from Cleveland given that sarcasm is in Clevelanders' DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland