U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 01:25 PM

247 posts, read 426,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I know that she's into the Wade Oval area.
You own guns, right? You better if you want to live around Wade Oval.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 01:30 PM

247 posts, read 426,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
....location between the two Red Line stations especially serves you well given the resulting proximity to the Cleveland Clinic.
Gonna use public transportation, eh? You probably want to read this. This is a daily even in Cleveland.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020...a-station.html

Old 01-23-2020, 04:31 PM

32 posts, read 14,986 times
eddie1261 you are a one trick pony who gives old white men a bad name. And I say that as a guy with similar experience as as you. I grew up in the city, spent plenty of time in the Flats when you did. I also worked at Playhouse Square in the 70's and many a night would go out to the bars after the shows ended. I would walk the streets (including Prospect when it was full of hookers) late at night with 3 or 4 co-workers (usually all women) and NOTHING ever happened. I will admit we would often walk past many shady characters and I would think what would I do if we got jumped because I'm only 5'7" but nothing ever happened.

I also drove through the 'hood for years going to work at the Clinic. I used to drive all over Cleveland just to see what things looked like as I am a urban junky and NOTHING ever happened. Either I am very lucky and you are very unlucky or you are just a classic troll.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,658,466 times
Anyway, to the OP, congratulations on accepting the offer! I like the logic of lowering your housing costs, at least at first while you see how things go in Cleveland. You might like Cleveland Heights. It offers a lot, and I personally would live there. However, based on your comments so far (I lived in Chicago for six years, in West Town and Lincoln Park, so I've got a picture in mind), I have doubts about whether that part of town is a fit for you. I'd like to suggest Lakewood as an alternative, particularly the far southwest corner (say, west of McKinley/Larchmont and south of Franklin Ave., on either side of I-90). This is a lovely neighborhood that will remind you of Park Ridge near Chicago. Commute will be similar to Rocky River but a few minutes shorter. The airport is a hard max of 15 minutes away, with a few different options to get there. You would be very close to the Hogsback Lane entrance of the Rocky River Reservation of the Metroparks ("the valley," as we call it), which has a cycling/running trail along the Rocky River that is arguably your best substitute for the Chicago lakefront trail.

The city of Rocky River would be a good fit for you too, as others have suggested. Perhaps that's where you'll find your permanent home. Lakewood is overall less upscale but still a solid community, and there's evidence that home prices are topping out in RR while continuing to increase in Lakewood (https://www.cleveland.com/datacentra...ty-leader.html). The area of Lakewood I've recommended is more solidly upper middle class than most of the rest of Lakewood, and it is zoned to Hayes Elementary and Harding Middle schools, both of which score quite well. Lakewood has rebuilt all of their public schools in the past decade, and it is very much on the radar of first-time homebuyers with means. If the plan is to be able to sell in a few years, I'd have very little hesitation of buying in here.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Wondering if, for example, this house (https://www.redfin.com/OH/Lakewood/1.../home/70836671) does anything for you...

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2020 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: the cited post has been deleted

Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM

111 posts, read 43,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning View Post
TT, thanks very much for the re-post. I maintain the information I provided about SH and CH is still valid. Happy to answer any specific questions from either newcomer about the Heights.

DR J
Thanks Dr J...I couldn't remember which post it came out of..but this was really helpful to me this weekend.

Personally, I like Cleveland Heights as the housing stock and the shopping seems to be more diverse than Shaker (and I have no need for SH schools). Reminds me of Newton in MA.

On the northern neighborhoods, Deming and Forest Hills Historic Neighborhoods have some VERY nice housing stock and access to 2 big parks (Cain and Forest Hills) where I might be able to get the dog off leash, plus they are closer to the Lake. DOWNSIDE: I didn't like the commercial areas as much as the southern end of CH....and more 'street to street' variance in housing stock.

Southern neighborhoods: I prefer Coventry and Euclid Golf historic districts as I'd like to be close to the shopping Shaker Square and Larchmere, but with quick access to the SH Heinen's (nice store). And, most of the smaller houses have bigger lots (8k and up)...and Fairhill Park is bigger than it looks.

And, there are welcome groups on both East and West side, though seems like they do a lot of daytime meetings, not so good for working folk who don't have flexibility.

https://newclevelanders.com/
Local Links | New Westsiders Club

Last edited by TechieTechie; 01-23-2020 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Funny, based on these posts, I shared them with my wife who ONLY will live near water. All of a sudden, she's researching CH's and can't believe what 200K gets you...in some cases less.

There are some neat neighborhoods in CH. I know that she's into the Wade Oval area.
Teacherdad, I have to agree with WR here, living on the southern shore of lake erie is NOT for the faint of heart. I drove thru North Collinwood on Sunday. In the rest of Cleveland, it was snowing nice fluffy flakes, a scene out of a Currier and Ives VT picture. In North Collinwood (at the Beachclub), it was whiteout, blizzard like conditions.

Winter waterfront property weather patterns VERY different in Ohio than on the coasts....

Old 01-23-2020, 07:18 PM

1,002 posts, read 847,560 times
HA! She equates "water view" to growing up on Coronado Island and living here in Santa Barbara. I will share your thoughts. I also pointed out the term, "erosion" and money I see spent on shoring up around lakefront properties.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
HA! She equates "water view" to growing up on Coronado Island and living here in Santa Barbara. I will share your thoughts. I also pointed out the term, "erosion" and money I see spent on shoring up around lakefront properties.

I spent 4 months working in Santa Barbara, and ALMOST rented an apartment on the Mesa in SB (for a yearlong engagement). So I know your metier (oh, how I miss my grilled chicken salad from the original Habit).

On the West side, there are some nice properties north of Rt 6. Edgewater has some big old gorgeous home right near or on the lake..but you REALLY have to be careful about house siting, bluffs and erosion. I rented a waterfront house a few years back in Sheffield Lake and the owner said they lost 3 feet of beach in one storm. Boulders don't cut it.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 PM

1,002 posts, read 847,560 times
We have a home in Bay Village near the lake, but it's a rental and not a home I will live in. The area is just not our fit. C Heights...better. Our condo downtown will be the hang out when we go for games and such.

I appreciate the mention of the actual neighborhoods. Wife asking for a map of C Heights. HAHA

We like the RTA so near a station is key.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 PM

9,095 posts, read 5,973,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Teacherdad, I have to agree with WR here, living on the southern shore of lake erie is NOT for the faint of heart. I drove thru North Collinwood on Sunday. In the rest of Cleveland, it was snowing nice fluffy flakes, a scene out of a Currier and Ives VT picture. In North Collinwood (at the Beachclub), it was whiteout, blizzard like conditions.

Winter waterfront property weather patterns VERY different in Ohio than on the coasts....
Balconies on the lake are not usable for at least a third of the year, except to get a breath of invigorating air and to soak in the lake (often gray in the winter). If on the west side of the building, the sun can make the balcony very unpleasant during the late day. Summer nights are great if high enough to avoid mosquitos. Pigeons can be a major problem if the balconies aren't screened, especially if you go away for a few weeks. Once in a while, microbursts create tornado-level winds.

I greatly enjoy Lake Erie. Living within 15 minutes of good lake locations is the perfect fix for me, given my enjoyment of our region's great inland nature areas. E.g., Holden Arboretum, where, with binoculars you sometimes will have a good lake view from the incredible Emergent Tower. I like the natural areas in Kirtland (Lake Metroparks and Holden) better than the Rocky River Reservation, and then throw in Mentor Headlands Beach, Mentor Marsh, Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve, Lake Metroparks Fairport Harbor Lakefront Park, Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve, Lake Metroparks Lake Erie Bluffs, and the Cleveland Metroparks North Chagrin Reservation. I like visiting Chardon and Geauga County's Amish country.

The great wild beaches at Mentor Lagoons and Lake Erie Bluffs likely are underwater in the spring and early summer given the current lake level. I'm not certain where wild beaches are located on the western side of Greater Cleveland in Cuyahoga and Lorain counties.

http://ianadamsphotography.com/news/...s-lake-county/

The Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve is a short drive from Cleveland Heights. Another advantage of Cleveland Hts. is that it is a closer drive to the Lake County natural areas that I listed above than west side locations. It's a half hour drive from CH to Holden, which is now joined with the Cleveland Botanical Garden in University Circle and shares a common membership.

http://www.portofcleveland.com/envir...ture-preserve/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/cleveland-l...erve-cleveland

Ian Adams is one of Ohio's premier landscape photographers. This likely is best coffee table book about Greater Cleveland.

https://www.jhbooks.com/pages/books/...lden-arboretum

Yet I would be very happy with the Rocky River Reservation, Lakewood Park, Edgewood and Wendy Parks, easy access to the Gordon Square Arts District, the Ohio City Market District, and even downtown. The culinary scene definitely is better on the near west side than in Lake County!!! Proximity to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo also is a big plus, especially as a place for very entertaining and challenging (hills) walks.

Erosion control is an issue when the lake is at record levels, like now. At some point, the Great Lakes will begin to shrink due to increased evaporation and declining rainfall and the beaches on Lake Erie will be much larger. I personally believe that climate change will happen rapidly in this decade. A recent Scientific American article buried information that I found absolutely frightening. This article has much of interest, but this especially disheartened me; unfortunately, none of our politicians discuss ocean heat content (OHC), despite its devastating impact on marine life and ocean fisheries and the resulting acceleration of ice melt and sea level rise, and more intense storms and rising humidity in ocean regions.

<<The total heat content of the world’s oceans (OHC) in 2019 was the warmest in recorded human history, according to a January 13 paper by Cheng et al., Record-Setting Ocean Warmth Continued in 2019, published in Advances in Atmospheric Sciences. In the uppermost 2000 meters of the oceans, there were 228 Zetta Joules more heat in 2019 than the 1981−2010 average; 2019 had 25 Zetta Joules more OHC than 2018 (a Zetta Joule is one sextillion Joules-- ten to the 21st power). “We found that 2019 was not only the warmest year on record, it displayed the largest single-year increase of the entire decade, a sobering reminder that human-caused heating of our planet continues unabated,” said Penn State’s Dr. Michael Mann, one of the co-authors. The gain in ocean heat between 2018 and 2019 was about 44 times as great as all the energy used by humans in one year.

More than 90% of the increasing heat from human-caused global warming accumulates in the ocean because of its large heat capacity.>>

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...story-in-2019/

44 times!!! Nature's feedback loops -- greenhouse gases released due to permafrost melting and massive wildfires, and especially a plummeting albedo in the cryosphere -- are overwhelming the contributions to global warming made by mankind. We've triggered a catastrophe, especially in the cryosphere. Calving of Antarctica's glaciers now has begun.

BTW, some of Lake Erie's bluffs are geologically unstable. My condo complex on Lake Erie tapered the bluff before putting in extensive erosion infrastructure. Very expensive, and done several decades ago when Lake Erie last was at record levels. I learned all about Lake Erie erosion and such protections as Campbell Modules, which we called Campbell Blocks when we had them installed. Ugly things, but effective, and I suspect if climate change does materially lower Lake Erie's level, at some point people will pay big bucks to have them removed.

https://coastal.ohiodnr.gov/portals/...SEMP_BG_06.pdf

Currently high lake levels may be lowering the price of some lakefront properties. Just normal lake level cycles would suggest lower levels, less erosion and higher prices, at some point. If Lake Erie's water level permanently declines due to climate change, beaches may become much bigger than experienced in recorded human history. E.g., it will be interesting to see what impact the absence of ice and increased evaporation has Lake Erie's water level over this winter.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...8-to-2019.html

I don't know if it will happen in my lifetime, but I expect that sometime in this century, all of the great beaches left in the U.S. will be on the Great Lakes.

https://www.theinvadingsea.com/2020/...to-restore-it/

Don't buy properties on Lake Erie's shore bluffs with buildings too close to the edge of a bluff unless money is no issue.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-23-2020 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or