Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 06:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,021,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We're an upscale-looking younger gay couple, and we've pranced around Cleveland before in various neighborhoods because we like day-tripping there to get out of the gray doldrums of Pittsburgh every once in a while. Cleveland always seems slower-paced, less crowded, and cheaper than Pittsburgh, so it's almost like a "relaxing getaway" for us. We've never felt uneasy or threatened. We frequent Ohio City, Tremont, Gordon Square, Detroit-Shoreway, Lakewood (suburbia---I know), Downtown, Little Italy, and University Circle (these are the neighborhoods MOST people who want to "explore" Cleveland---tourists or residents alike---will be spending the vast majority of their time in). I see no reason for anyone to just prance around in East Cleveland.

The vast majority of violent crimes in this entire country---not just in Cleveland (or Pittsburgh for that matter) are TARGETED. Very rarely does someone prance gleefully down a side street singing Adele songs and get shot in the face as part of a gang initiation. Most people in Pittsburgh (and I'm assuming also Cleveland) who wind up shot danced in illicit affairs and didn't so well. Hard to have too much sympathy for someone gunned down for shorting their dealer or for being willingly involved in a gang.

I wouldn't hesitate to live in Downtown Cleveland at all. In fact, Heinen's on Euclid is quite possibly the nicest urban grocery store I've ever been in, and I'd be willing to pay a rental premium to be nearer to it. I hope you all cherish that place. Pittsburgh has tons of yuppies living Downtown now, but we STILL don't have a grocery store.
Agree on this, however our crime here is significantly worse than Pittsburgh, as you know. Yes it is concentrated in the East side neighborhoods but it is also a threat in some of the gentrifying neighborhoods. I always like to spin it as a problem that needs fixed, particularly in the gentrifying areas. We need to get past the race card and get on with improving areas where middle class people will want to invest. This way we can continue to improve the city's tax base which is the only real hope for a fix to the crime problem on the east side.

I would consider putting $200k to $300k into a residence in the city if I knew for sure my investment would be protected for 20 years. I need a record of safety to convince me. Gentrifying areas can be improved by removing outdated section 8 housing, installing community policing, cameras, whatever. This is not rocket science, this is done all over the US, even Pittsburgh has removed outdated section 8 housing to spark gentrification.

Thanks for the kind words on Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,133,599 times
Our condo is near E6th and 9th. I stayed there the last visit (had always been near Euclid and W4th) and loved that area. No Heinens, but used Constatinos (sp) Market. Camino Taco is my staple over there.

Now SW is building across the street at some point. We just sold our Bay V house and might take that money back to another DT property.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM

210 posts, read 170,062 times
Delete, wrong thread!

Last edited by TechieTechie; 02-17-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 06:49 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I see no reason for anyone to just prance around in East Cleveland.

Wade Memorial Chapel and Lake View Cemetery, top Cleveland attractions, are located in East Cleveland. The Healthline Bus Rapid has a stop right at the entrance to Lake View Cemetery. A visit to Lake View may not be considered "prancing," however.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

Old 02-17-2020, 07:36 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,021,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Wade Memorial Chapel and Lake View Cemetery, top Cleveland attractions, are located in East Cleveland. The Healthline Bus Rapid has a stop right at the entrance to Lake View Cemetery. A visit to Lake View may not be considered "prancing," however.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

Are you sure about that? I thought Lake View was in Cleveland. If Lake View is indeed in E. Cleveland, we may start seeing dead people moving out.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:04 PM

4,464 posts, read 5,010,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought Lake View was in Cleveland. If Lake View is indeed in E. Cleveland, we may start seeing dead people moving out.
Lake View Cemetery actually sits in 3 different cities: Cleveland, Cleveland Hts, and East Cleveland. The biggest tourist attraction -- Garfield's Monument -- is in Cleveland... I think. It actually sits right on the Cleveland/Cleve Hts border, based on my online map.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,282,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I apparently was wrong. The Euclid Ave. main entrance to Lake View and much of the cemetery is in Cleveland. Thanks for the catch!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5140764,-81.5953217,16z

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...!4d-81.5790137

According to Wikipedia, parts of the cemetery also are in East Cleveland and Cleveland Hts., as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_View_Cemetery

The James A. Garfield Memorial apparently is just on the Cleveland Hts. side of the border with Cleveland.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...field-memorial

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...8!4d-81.556235
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland