U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,953 times
Default Best suburbs

Bay Village would be your best bet. It's a beautiful and quiet lakefront town. Extremely family friendly. It's close to the freeway which makes for quick access to downtown. It's also minutes away from all the shopping and restaurants in Westlake. I know it's Cleveland and all, but there's a decent beach in Bay Village for swimming and catching sunsets. Bay also has plenty of parks.
Olmsted Falls is another nice area, but if you are commuting to the city it is a bit farther to drive than Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,942,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Chagrin is very nice.

Solon was very nice many years ago, but is your average middle-class type area now...and it will go nowhere but down. You want to look at good property values long-term, skip Solon.

Solon, Beachwood, Lyndhurst - like someone else said, there are some very nice homes there, but the areas themselves are not really pretty or peaceful. Solon and Lyndhurst, especially, I would skip. Beachwood is still nice enough, it's just too busy.

I'd rather live in Westlake or Bay Village than Solon or Lyndhurst. Beachwood...I'd be on the fence, but I wouldn't choose it.
I honestly don't understand the criteria for your comments. Westlake, with Crocker Park, is no more "peaceful" than Beachwood, Lyndhurst, or Solon.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
I moved to Fairport Harbor from Wickliffe a dozen years ago last November. Took me a good long time to get used to living here, as Wickliffe is a much larger area, a city of 13,500 population. Fairport's population is currently just over 3200 (was 3180 the year I moved here), so it is much smaller than Wickliffe, of course. But that's what I wanted when I moved to this area: a small town, away from the hustle and bustle of the suburbs. I was in Wickliffe 40 years of my life (I'm 55 now, was 43 when I moved to Fairport), so living here is a very nice change from the city that was my home for so long. I intend to stay in Fairport Harbor as long as I can; in fact, I must be doing something right, as my landlord has told me, in no uncertain terms, that he wants me to stay here.

Fairport Harbor is a nice place to live if you don't mind the distance between here and Cleveland. As I mentioned above, the village of Fairport Harbor is 33 miles east of downtown, so we aren't exactly around the corner from the big city. With gas prices as high as they are these days (I saw a report on television recently that said gasoline prices in many Cleveland-area neighborhoods now exceed $4 a gallon and are headed for $5; the price of a gallon of gas here in Fairport, at a pump island near our convenient store, is currently over $3 and will probably top $4 before long), I think a lot of folks living here and working in Cleveland or the suburbs are looking at high gas prices now and even higher prices to come, so if saving money is one of your priorities when looking for a new location, I'd say move to a Cleveland suburb that's a lot closer to town than we are.

Fairport is about one mile north of the south shore of Lake Erie, so if you like living near the water you've come to the right place. I like going for long walks in the summer (I would walk around the block every evening in the summer where I used to live in Wickliffe), so I enjoy it here even though the blocks are quite a bit shorter than they are in my hometown. I've been to the beach here exactly once since moving here; no excuse for that. I hope to make up for that this summer when the weather clears.

Small-town living is not for everyone, but it can be very enjoyable if, like myself, you want a change from the noise and crowds of the city and the suburbs. In fact, the busiest and noisiest day of the year for us is Fairport Harbor's Mardi Gras parade night, but it is only one night out of the year; once the celebration itself is underway things quiet down a lot.

The rest of the year Fairport is so quiet, especially at night, you can almost literally hear a pin drop. I am reminded of a song that was once popular on radio (don't recall the title) in which is this verse: "One stop light blinking on and off/Everyone knows when the neighbors cough/And they roll up the streets when the sun goes down . . . " That's the way things are here in Fairport. It is so quiet here at night, even on the main street of town, that I swear they do roll up the streets at sundown and don't unroll them until sunrise the next morning; they don't actually do that, of course, but the village is so quiet after dark it seems that way. And yes, there is exactly one traffic signal in town, near the end of High Street (our main street), that does in fact blink on and off, so that song I mentioned could have been written about Fairport.

There you have it. Thirty-three miles (about a 40-minute commute if you don't run into heavy traffic) from downtown Cleveland, quiet at night and even in the daytime (loud noises are forbidden here after 10 p. m. and disturbances aren't tolerated at any time by the local police), just a mile from the lake -- in short, Fairport Harbor is, in my opinion anyway, one of the nicest parts of northeastern Ohio there is. As a matter of fact, the monthly newsletter from our mayor refers to Fairport as "one of Northeastern Ohio's best kept secrets." Why this village is kept so secret from the rest of the area is beyond me, as it is one of this area's finest tourist destinations -- we get people coming in from literally all over in the summer, especially from nearby Erie, Pennsylvania (about 60 miles east), Buffalo, New York, Pittsburgh, and other cities/states as well. I guess it's because we are so close to the lake and have an excellent, beautiful lakefront park here, not to mention a breathtaking view of Lake Erie itself, that visitors keep coming back to our small town year after year, even in this down economy.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 PM

42 posts, read 46,132 times
I moved to Willoughby, and I love it! The schools are great, the town clean and easy to get around in. I feel very safe here.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM

5,630 posts, read 5,483,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish611 View Post
I moved to Willoughby, and I love it! The schools are great, the town clean and easy to get around in. I feel very safe here.
I live in Cleveland. City of. I also feel very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland