Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 PM

57 posts, read 71,899 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I live in New Hampshire right now and am aware of the multi-cultural, multi-economic background of Cleveland.

I wanted to move there in lieu of a yoga school there in Cleveland Heights, OH actually.

Would you be so kind as to inform me a bit about the cost of living & things to do there?
I understand that it's a large city and has it's large city issues and whatnot.

I know there is online material but I'd rather hear the skinny/real deal from people who live there.

Thanks,
Stefos1

P.S. I work for the VA here and wanted to work for the VA Hospital there.

If anyone works or has worked at the VA Hospital, could you let me know how it is please insofar as employment?

Thank you,
Stefos1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:57 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
COL for Cleveland has some of the best bang for you buck for the amount of amenities Cleveland offers. I think you may experience some reverse sticker shock coming from the East Coast.

Cleveland Hts has some cool neighborhoods (Coventry, Cedar-Lee, etc and is nearby to the Cleveland city neighborhoods of University Circle, Little Italy, and Shaker Square.

University Circle has all the museums, hospitals, and education institutions. The VA hospital is located there down the hill from Cleveland Hts. I used to go there being a military veteran. They just recently expanded it... Place is enormous ($500 million expansion?)

Cleveland has a growing yoga community... Check it out (number 6 with the large turn out for community events) 10 Things Coming to Downtown Cleveland | cle unleashed

Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Hi Mr. Costello (Nice name....),

Thank you for your help.

What do you mean by "reverse sticker shock?" Things are cheaper there?

Anyway, How is the cost of living there sir?

This place, New Hampshire, is dead as a doornail and boring......I feel like I've been in a jailcell forever.

Thank you

Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefos1 View Post
What do you mean by "reverse sticker shock?" Things are cheaper there?

Anyway, How is the cost of living there sir?

This place, New Hampshire, is dead as a doornail and boring......I feel like I've been in a jailcell forever.
Yes, things are cheaper here. For being in a fairly large metropolitan area it is very inexpensive to live here. I'm not sure what the cost of living is in New Hampshire, but in comparison to downstate NY, NJ, Eastern Massachusetts, Eastern Maryland/Northern Virginia/DC, etc. it is very cheap.

I would think Northeast Ohio would offer much more in the way of activities than NH just by virtue of having larger cities/metros.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Hi Square,

THANK YOU!

I want to leave here so badly.....I can taste it.

I want to move & start over.

Southern New Hampshire IS expensive as it's next to Boston basically (1 hour away).

THAT sounds great.......Hopefully the schooling is cheaper as well.

Take care & God bless,
Stefos1....................YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Old 09-12-2014, 06:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
So you're moving for the yoga school? Or another school?

Also what types of activities are you interested in? Cleveland Heights has a lot of interesting things going on, but much of the nightlife is geared towards college-aged kids (particularly those that attend CWRU and JCU and to a lesser-extent NDC).

Old 09-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Hi Clevelander17,

I'm moving for 2 reasons:

1. New Hampshire is boring and once winter hits....it's worse....Everything is "Only an hour away"

That's the stupid line you'll hear here if you visit.....Boston "only 1 hr away" The Coast "only 1 hr away"

That's good for summer, which is short and spring, which is short, and fall, which is short.
Winter here is RIDICULOUS.........Stay in Ohio

2. Cheaper to live out there

3. The yoga school as well.

You see, having no kids & and not owning a home allows me the opportunity to move out of here.

Besides I really am set with New Hampshire....Most of my family is in Greece, not the U.S.

Make sense? I need a change.

Stefos1

Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Default none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
So you're moving for the yoga school? Or another school?

Also what types of activities are you interested in? Cleveland Heights has a lot of interesting things going on, but much of the nightlife is geared towards college-aged kids (particularly those that attend CWRU and JCU and to a lesser-extent NDC).

Ooops!

Forgot to answer your question:

I like museums, live music shows and martial arts.

I can't drink because of my Generalized Anxiety Disorder which the VA is stating has ZERO
to do with my combat service.

Yeah....My G.A.D. has cost me jobs......A bad scene indeed.

BUT! I can still work for the VA and move out to Cleveland.

To play things safe, I'll travel out there first.

Stefos1

Old 09-13-2014, 06:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
In terms of live music, Cleveland Heights also has The Grog Shop, which is a smaller indoor venue that a lot of indie/punk/rock/hip-hop performers like to hit, and Cain Park Ampitheater which hosts outdoor acts, oftentimes folk or classic rock.

I think living in Cleveland Heights or the Cleveland Heights area might be the way to go. Give it a look if you visit.

One word of warning: Winter is also very long and snowy here as well. There will be a lot more to do, but I don't want to fool you into thinking that the weather is much better here in the Winter.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Default none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
In terms of live music, Cleveland Heights also has The Grog Shop, which is a smaller indoor venue that a lot of indie/punk/rock/hip-hop performers like to hit, and Cain Park Ampitheater which hosts outdoor acts, oftentimes folk or classic rock.

I think living in Cleveland Heights or the Cleveland Heights area might be the way to go. Give it a look if you visit.

One word of warning: Winter is also very long and snowy here as well. There will be a lot more to do, but I don't want to fool you into thinking that the weather is much better here in the Winter.

Hi and Thanks,

By the way I don't know if you're a guy or gal.......I would like to cater this ongoing discussion to you.

New England has BRUTAL winters my friend.

If I live in a larger city, the roads will be maintained better.

You see, driving here from Manchester, the largest city in N.H., to Concord, N.H. in the winter when it's snowy and hail is falling and the roads are iced up is nuts.
NO ONE here goes anywhere in the winter if it's bad outside.

My friend lives in Columbus, Ohio and his wife said that "Yeah, we have winter & snow but NOT like up here! (N.H.)"

Does that bring the perspective closer to you?

By the way, is Cleveland Heights affordable IF one makes $30,000-$40,000 a year?
Or
Is it a no go?

I don't need a house...I just want an apartment.

Thank you for your time & kindness and sharing,
Stefos1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland